Fire at Universal's Islands of Adventure

Post by ericpabear » Jan Sat 01, 2011 9:00 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 4887.story

Universal's Islands of Adventure reopens section evacuated because of fire
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls ride will remain closed indefinitely

Universal Studios Orlando
By Susan Jacobson and Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
7:58 p.m. EST, January 1, 2011

A section at Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure has reopened after a fire forced its evacuation this evening.
Flames and heavy black smoke erupted at Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, a water ride at Islands of Adventure, about 5:00 p.m., a Universal spokesman said. Toon Lagoon, where the ride is, was evacuated, park spokesman Tom Schroder said.
"We do have a fire," Schroder. "We evacuated the entire island where the ride is."
The fire was extinguished in a little more than half an hour, fire officials said tonight. It was not in the main building, but near a trough through which the log-shaped cars move. No damage estimates were available.
Orlando fire Lt. Arnold Alvarez said no one was hurt. An investigation is under way to determine the cause, he said.
Toon Lagoon is now open again, but Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls will main closed until the problem is pinpointed and fixed, Schroder said.
"Ripsaw Falls will be closed tomorrow, but beyond that, it's too soon to speculate," he said.
A park guest, Anthony Rosa, said he was in the Harry Potter area when he saw smoke from across the lake in the center of the park. A moment later, he smelled burning plastic.
A large crowd began walking across a bridge and away from Ripsaw Falls, Rosa said. The number of those evacuated was not immediately available, but Schroder said dozens of people were in the area.
Rosa said he wouldn't go back to the ride immediately even if it reopened.
"It's a bit concerning," he said. "I'd definitely be second-guessing it the whole time."
Susan Gartner, a chaperone with the marching band from Wamego High School in Kansas, said she was eating when she saw black smoke rise out of Toon Lagoon. She began trying to contact other chaperones and students, who said they saw flames shooting out of the ride.
"Thank goodness" they were OK, Gartner said.
Anyone who witnessed the fire and can provide photos and/or video, please send via e-mail to news@orlandosentinel.com.
Schroder would not say what compensation might be available to people who were forced to get off the ride.
"In a situation like this, we would always work with our guests and do what is right," he said. "We're happy to work with our guests and make them feel that they're accommodated.
The park will remain open until midnight as scheduled, and people are still coming and going.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Re: Fire at Universal's Islands of Adventure

Post by MadEye » Jan Sat 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Anyone else see the irony here? Of all the things to catch fire, it was one of the water rides. The ride itself is ok but I like using the spray cannons after the main drop on the dry guests. Hope it opens soon as I have a lot of quarters to use.

Glad everyone is ok, though!
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 01, 2011 11:20 pm

That is kind of scary! That poor chaperone ~ what she must have been thinking when trying to contact the students and other chaperones!!
Definitely glad there were no injuries!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 02, 2011 12:40 am

Didn't Splash at WDW have a fire too this year? The log flume is cursed!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 02, 2011 10:36 am

Actually, isn't this the second ride at US-IOA to be closed for a long period of time? It seems IOA is been a bit plagued with problems closing their rides.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sun 02, 2011 11:55 pm

According to the list of incidents at Universal parks, this is the first fire in any attraction at the any of their parks. From what I've been reading, it was a major fire which is leading me to believe it will be down for a long time, maybe even forever.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jan Mon 03, 2011 2:46 am

Len90 wrote:According to the list of incidents at Universal parks, this is the first fire in any attraction at the any of their parks. From what I've been reading, it was a major fire which is leading me to believe it will be down for a long time, maybe even forever.
Was it not a major fire that closed the King Kong ride.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Mon 03, 2011 9:35 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
Len90 wrote:According to the list of incidents at Universal parks, this is the first fire in any attraction at the any of their parks. From what I've been reading, it was a major fire which is leading me to believe it will be down for a long time, maybe even forever.
Correct, Sleepy90, King Kong at US-Hollywood did burn down, plus some other buildings on the backlot tour. Also, I remember reading a few months back that some recently opened ride at US-Orlando had to be closed due to structural concerns on safety and was going to need to stayed closed for a long while due to repairs.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 04, 2011 12:42 am

mindflipper wrote:
Sleepy90 wrote:
Correct, Sleepy90, King Kong at US-Hollywood did burn down, plus some other buildings on the backlot tour. Also, I remember reading a few months back that some recently opened ride at US-Orlando had to be closed due to structural concerns on safety and was going to need to stayed closed for a long while due to repairs.
Whoops should have been "any of their FLORIDA parks" That was a massive fire in 2008 at the Hollywood park. I'm not sure about the structural concerns thing though.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 04, 2011 9:50 am

Now thinking about it, I think it was suppose to be their equivalent to the rock'n'roller coaster that had some problems shortly after it opened.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Which ride?

They do have a few flagship coasters in Japan (one of them may even put disney to shame), and I think they imported Rock It coaster.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 05, 2011 12:31 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Which ride?

They do have a few flagship coasters in Japan (one of them may even put disney to shame), and I think they imported Rock It coaster.
Is that the name of it at US-Orlando? I know it was their rip-off on the RnR that had some "engineering" difficulties.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 05, 2011 2:20 am

I actually don't know if that is the US name or the Japan name, but it's odd that the Japanese version (if they are exactly the same) didn't have any major issues.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 05, 2011 11:00 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I actually don't know if that is the US name or the Japan name, but it's odd that the Japanese version (if they are exactly the same) didn't have any major issues.
May have been the same design (or slightly modified), but maybe not the same construction company...

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Fri 07, 2011 12:15 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Which ride?

Is that the name of it at US-Orlando? I know it was their rip-off on the RnR that had some "engineering" difficulties.
It's called Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and it was closed for a little under a month because of the vehicles, not the tracks or structure itself.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.