Happy Hanukkah!

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Happy Hanukkah!

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Not sure about your sources since it sounds like you're going off of off stuff yourself. So feel free to support your claims with sources or I will just simply have to dismiss them as the ramblings of a confused old man in a red dress.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Thu 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Last night was the final night and Hanukkah will conclude at sundown when the eighth day draws to a close. I hope that everyone on the board had a great Hanukkah!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Thu 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Len90 wrote:Last night was the final night and Hanukkah will conclude at sundown when the eighth day draws to a close. I hope that everyone on the board had a great Hanukkah!
Thanks for getting it back on topic, Len90. Did you and your family do anything special this year to celebrate Hanukkah?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Thu 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Is it weird that the holiday makes me want to cook with bacon more? I actually ended up making a bottle of bacon-wash bourbon to restock the supplies.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Fri 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Is it weird that the holiday makes me want to cook with bacon more? I actually ended up making a bottle of bacon-wash bourbon to restock the supplies.
THIS POST IS JUST WRONG!!!! It's very insensitive and RUDE!! Have you no humanity??

I feel it's my duty to apologies to Len and our other Jewish brothers and sisters on Subsonic!!! It amazing how some can't see past their nose!!
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Dec Fri 10, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Fri 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Remember, part jewish so I accept your apology as well. :D

Anyway, none of my jewish friends keep kosher because it's a pain and most places don't have kosher markets so you end up with no food.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Fri 10, 2010 10:34 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:Last night was the final night and Hanukkah will conclude at sundown when the eighth day draws to a close. I hope that everyone on the board had a great Hanukkah!
Thanks for getting it back on topic, Len90. Did you and your family do anything special this year to celebrate Hanukkah?
Nothing really as I had college, Mark had his rotation, and Dad had work. We made sure to light our menorah every night. It really felt a bit awkward with Hanukkah being so early. There was really no time to adjust between Thanksgiving and Hanukkah.

Here's our menorah from night 8:
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 11, 2010 3:07 am

Oooh neat, did you/family make that one?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Sat 11, 2010 1:47 pm

The menorah was bought at a store. We do have one or two that we made, but we never light them. The gaps between the candles are too small. The hardest thing about lighting a menorah is getting the center candle back into the hole.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 11, 2010 2:38 pm

We still have the disney store one they had back in the mid 90's, where the characters are holding up the cups for the candles, but the candles make too much of a mess so we got an electric one.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 1:26 pm

That's a pretty menorah Len ~ do the candle colors have any significance like in the Christian advent wreath? Happy belated Hanukkah :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Fri 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I don't think they do since you can buy white, blue and white, or multi color ones.

Now with a Kinara (the Kwanza symbol) the colors of the candles do hold meaning.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Fri 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Amy wrote:That's a pretty menorah Len ~ do the candle colors have any significance like in the Christian advent wreath? Happy belated Hanukkah :D
There is no meaning behind the color of the candles. We purchased multi-colored candles for this past hanukkah and they worked really well (didn't drip wax all over the place). There is symbolism with the color pattern of the candles. I actually made up the colors for each night and for night 8 I designed a mirror image or what would be called a radar if the candles were actually digits in a number.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Fri 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:That's a pretty menorah Len ~ do the candle colors have any significance like in the Christian advent wreath? Happy belated Hanukkah :D
There is no meaning behind the color of the candles. We purchased multi-colored candles for this past hanukkah and they worked really well (didn't drip wax all over the place). There is symbolism with the color pattern of the candles. I actually made up the colors for each night and for night 8 I designed a mirror image or what would be called a radar if the candles were actually digits in a number.
I actually wanted to ask that very question myself, but I was waiting until AFTER he finished all his finals first.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 8:02 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:
I actually wanted to ask that very question myself, but I was waiting until AFTER he finished all his finals first.
I have confidence in his multi-tasking skills! ;) :lol: