Live Broadcast from Universal Studios Hollywood

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Live Broadcast from Universal Studios Hollywood

Post by Josh Q » Oct Tue 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Didn't know if any of my Subsonic peeps would be interested but we got some media passes to Universal Studios Hollywood on Sat Oct 16, 2010 and are going to turn on the Live Feed at 2 p.m. on Ustream.tv and just in case anyone would like to join this is my announcement. Lol. Anywho this is the link to our page. :-)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/theme-park-talk

See you in chat on Sat at 2 p.m. PST if you can make it!
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Live Broadcast from Universal Studios Hollywood

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 13, 2010 9:29 am

Josh Q wrote:Didn't know if any of my Subsonic peeps would be interested but we got some media passes to Universal Studios Hollywood on Sat Oct 16, 2010 and are going to turn on the Live Feed at 2 p.m. on Ustream.tv and just in case anyone would like to join this is my announcement. Lol. Anywho this is the link to our page. :-)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/theme-park-talk

See you in chat on Sat at 2 p.m. PST if you can make it!
Josh: Is there a particular event happening at US-H on 10/16/2010???

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Oct Wed 13, 2010 11:02 am

Lol no. Except HHN that night. I just needed to do a photo update and write a review of King Kong plus write an article on the construction of Transformers the ride. So I figured I'd take the opportunity to connect with anyone whose interested and walk around the park live answering questions and going where people want to see something.

And I'm taking a lot of in park audio for the TPT Podcast!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Josh Q wrote:Lol no. Except HHN that night. I just needed to do a photo update and write a review of King Kong plus write an article on the construction of Transformers the ride. So I figured I'd take the opportunity to connect with anyone whose interested and walk around the park live answering questions and going where people want to see something.

Transformers was one of the worst films I ever saw - so, it only stood to reason they making a third film and theme-park ride! So US Hollywood gets the new Kong and Transformers, and we in Orlando get Potter land (which only feature ONE NEW ride) and a closed-down roller coaster (I know Rip Ride Rockit was closed down for nearly a month - has it re-opened yet?). Doesn't sound like Orlando is coming out ahead in the new rides...

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Oct Wed 13, 2010 7:06 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Josh Q wrote:Lol no. Except HHN that night. I just needed to do a photo update and write a review of King Kong plus write an article on the construction of Transformers the ride. So I figured I'd take the opportunity to connect with anyone whose interested and walk around the park live answering questions and going where people want to see something.

Transformers was one of the worst films I ever saw - so, it only stood to reason they making a third film and theme-park ride! So US Hollywood gets the new Kong and Transformers, and we in Orlando get Potter land (which only feature ONE NEW ride) and a closed-down roller coaster (I know Rip Ride Rockit was closed down for nearly a month - has it re-opened yet?). Doesn't sound like Orlando is coming out ahead in the new rides...
Ya I'm not a Transformers fan either, but, an attraction might be pretty cool! According to USO Rip Ride Rockit is still closed. Ya it does sound like Orlando, as far as attractions goes, is kinda getting jipped (spelling?)

Although remember King Kong is only a part of the tour not it's own attraction.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Sat 16, 2010 9:14 pm

The new 3D King Kong at US-H is alway part of the tour as well, replacing I believe the original King Kong building that was burned down during the fire last year.

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Oct Sun 17, 2010 9:38 pm

mindflipper wrote:The new 3D King Kong at US-H is alway part of the tour as well, replacing I believe the original King Kong building that was burned down during the fire last year.
KIng Kong 3D was ok, it's not actually in the same area as the old King Kong was. A new building has been built in front of the collapsing bridge for KK 3D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Sun 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Josh Q wrote:
mindflipper wrote:The new 3D King Kong at US-H is alway part of the tour as well, replacing I believe the original King Kong building that was burned down during the fire last year.
KIng Kong 3D was ok, it's not actually in the same area as the old King Kong was. A new building has been built in front of the collapsing bridge for KK 3D
Thanks for clearing it up, Josh! That wasn't too clear on the brief coverage it's opening got on the news here!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sun 17, 2010 11:24 pm

mindflipper wrote: Transformers was one of the worst films I ever saw - so, it only stood to reason they making a third film and theme-park ride! So US Hollywood gets the new Kong and Transformers, and we in Orlando get Potter land (which only feature ONE NEW ride) and a closed-down roller coaster (I know Rip Ride Rockit was closed down for nearly a month - has it re-opened yet?). Doesn't sound like Orlando is coming out ahead in the new rides...
That's almost exactly what I was saying when they were building it/opened. It's more or less a single ride with heavy handed play at the wallet since the majority of the attractions/experiences are there to make you buy stuff.

One positive commentary though, Islands of Adventure (and more recent attractions at USO) have been far better in design and theme. One big reason for that is that they utilized disney imagineers that weren't working on anything for Disney at the time.