Light the Lamp!!!

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Light the Lamp!!!

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Sun 11, 2013 11:01 am

cy1229 wrote:That Hawks meme would only be accurate if it had a winged wheel on it. Because let's face it peeps, Detroit's got the corner on the market for consistency.

Can you say 22 straight playoffs seasons and counting? Oh yeah, I can. :D

Ready to DROP THE PUCK!!! I mean, football starts tomorrow, and the Colts look pretty good, but it's nothing like hockey. I'm getting all tingly excited just thinking about it.
This is the salary cap era kid, whole different animal. Can you say 2 Cups in the salary cap era, I can :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 11, 2013 11:28 am

Boilerdude wrote:
cy1229 wrote:That Hawks meme would only be accurate if it had a winged wheel on it. Because let's face it peeps, Detroit's got the corner on the market for consistency.

Can you say 22 straight playoffs seasons and counting? Oh yeah, I can. :D

Ready to DROP THE PUCK!!! I mean, football starts tomorrow, and the Colts look pretty good, but it's nothing like hockey. I'm getting all tingly excited just thinking about it.
This is the salary cap era kid, whole different animal. Can you say 2 Cups in the salary cap era, I can :D
2 cups in the salary cap era are very hard to achieve. After winning a cup players want more $$$ and the cap really limits you that ability. The only way I see things like this happening is to tie players down for extremely long contracts so you can offset the payment over many years. Only issue is you are bound to have some restructuring years.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Sun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

What's the year cutoff for salary cap era?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Sun 11, 2013 6:47 pm

It started in the 2005 - 2006 season.

It mainly put's more emphasis on how you draft and develop your farm system. The longest you can sign a player that did not previously play for the team is 7 years. And you can sign your own for 8 years. The part people miss with the Blackhawks is they had to blow the team up after they won the Cup in 2010 cause of the cap. It's all about keeping your core guys together and retool around them. Almost every teams 1st and 2nd lines can hang with each other its the 3rd and 4th that will decide a series.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Sun 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Exactly. The Wings haven't always had super-star players, but they've always had a good first and second lines, and ALSO third and fourth lines. It's hard to beat a team with that kind of depth.

For some reason I thought that the cap went back before 2002, which of course would mean the Wings had 2 Cups also. Pretty hard to argue that the Wings aren't major players every year.

I will tell ya this, with the reorg I'm going to miss the Chicago-Detroit rivalry.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 11, 2013 8:26 pm

You and me both cy1229!!!! That rivalry goes waaaaaay back!!!! I was bummed when I heard that they are no longer in the same conference. Boo!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Mon 12, 2013 7:54 am

I'm glad the days of the West Coast late-night starts are gone, though, ESPECIALLY at playoffs time!!! I guess there are positives and negatives to every change.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Mon 12, 2013 5:02 pm

What I do not care for is the Blackhawks are the only original six team in their conference.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Mon 12, 2013 5:21 pm

I understand. But that's just a case of historical geography. Arizona wasn't even a STATE when the NHL began.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Mon 12, 2013 7:37 pm

It's all about the rivalries between OG 6 teams. To me and a lot of old school hockey fans OG 6 match-ups is hockey. And to quote a Winger "All you've got to do is take a look at the jerseys," said Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader, who grew up in Muskegon, Mich., as a big Red Wings fan. "It's all about Original Six and two of the best jerseys in the League (Referring to the Blackhawks). It's the tradition and what each organization is all about. Every time you put on that uniform, you take pride in it."

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 8:04 am

Boilerdude wrote:It's all about the rivalries between OG 6 teams. To me and a lot of old school hockey fans OG 6 match-ups is hockey. And to quote a Winger "All you've got to do is take a look at the jerseys," said Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader, who grew up in Muskegon, Mich., as a big Red Wings fan. "It's all about Original Six and two of the best jerseys in the League (Referring to the Blackhawks). It's the tradition and what each organization is all about. Every time you put on that uniform, you take pride in it."
Absolutely agree.

I knew I liked Abby for a reason. :D Unfortunately two of the OG 6 aren't very competitive. :(
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 9:32 am

cy1229 wrote:
Boilerdude wrote:It's all about the rivalries between OG 6 teams. To me and a lot of old school hockey fans OG 6 match-ups is hockey. And to quote a Winger "All you've got to do is take a look at the jerseys," said Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader, who grew up in Muskegon, Mich., as a big Red Wings fan. "It's all about Original Six and two of the best jerseys in the League (Referring to the Blackhawks). It's the tradition and what each organization is all about. Every time you put on that uniform, you take pride in it."
Absolutely agree.

I knew I liked Abby for a reason. :D Unfortunately two of the OG 6 aren't very competitive. :(
I personally don't like how 4 out of 6 original six are now one division that will take on the name Atlantic division. I know there a teams who benefit like Columbus and Detroit, in terms of ratings for away games, but the negatives outweigh IMO.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Tue 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Having Detroit play East Coast teams just makes sense. The travel costs were obnoxious, I'm sure. But there are some really good rivalries that went away, and there were some mistakes made in how things were organized. Why a east-central or Midwest division wasn't created, I don't know. Columbus, Nashville, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas makes a good group.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 01, 2013 10:12 pm

What an awesome start to the season....Blackhawks shut the Caps down!!! :goofy_bounce:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 01, 2013 11:29 pm

boilerbabe wrote:What an awesome start to the season....Blackhawks shut the Caps down!!! :goofy_bounce:
Boooo... :wink: