Q & A - CATASTROPHE Trip Reports: Len90 Adventure

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Q & A - CATASTROPHE Trip Reports: Len90 Adventure

Post by mindflipper » Jul Sun 04, 2010 7:17 pm

I've set up a off-topic thread to discuss, do questions & answers, and post comments concerning the CATASTROPHE trip reports posted for Len90's Walt Disney World Trip.

One thing people have wondered so far: what is Len going to think when he gets back? Well, it's really a pointless question as it does not depend upon Len's return. Len and Mark already know about the story. They did not know before they departed, but they read it during their trip. Len honored me with a phone call and I got to talk with both Len and Mark. While I adapted none of what Len told me into the story, I did take one item Mark told me and added it to the story. I won't tell what that was, but hopefully you will find out when Mark posts his trip report. But like everyone else here on Subsonic, neither brother had any advance copy of what was going to happen next. They had to read the same time as everyone else.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Q & A - CATASTROPHE Trip Reports: Len90 Adventure

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 04, 2010 8:16 pm

This has been so entertaining mindflipper. You really put a lot of time and effort into this "trip report" Thank you so much! I will absolutely hurt myself laughing if the one item that you incorporated from Mark turns out to be that he made out with Daisy Duck :shock: :lol:
I have a question...did you have the story all planned out in advance or did it develop as you went along?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Sun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

When Len announced there would be at least a week before he would post his trip report, NaCler and I gave Len a hard time for the wait. I decided then iI would create a trip report for Len. The idea actually came from Mousekedude. In his last trip report, he and Mouseoholic had their "adventure" so I decided to write Len an adventure. Len's posting gave me so details to work on as a basis.

My hardest problem was the villian. Dick Dastardly and Muttley were not the original villians. I had a different one in mind, but when I thought about it and what he wanted to do it all seemed very anti-climatic. I won't disclose who in case I recycle into a future story. I wanted a climax that was epic, outrageous, dire and yet funny, and completely preposterous. When I re-read the Madame Leota warning I wrote the "dastardly plot" - what if it wasn't a descriptive adjective? What if it was a name? Then the whole thing fell into place. Funny enough, when I had talked with Len on the phone, I hadn't even made that decision.

As for Mark, it wasn't Daisy Duck - although he can tell what Daisy Duck, he and I have in common. Inside joke. No, the thing he told me about and I worked into the story is not a "person" but an "object". Again, that will hopefully be part of Mark's trip report.

And for those who never saw Dick Dastardly and Muttley in their simulator ride over at Universal Studios, well, you're in luck. The video is out on the net. Here's the pre-show summarized: after being introduced by Yogi Bear and Boo-boo, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera talk about animation to park guests. Dick Dastardly and Muttley crash it and demand to be the stars of the next movie to be made. When Hanna and Barbera refuse, the two vililans kidnap Elroy Jetson in order to sabotage production on the Jetson Movie. The park guests board a ship to pursue the villians, and the ship is piloted by Yogi Bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBZNnO2 ... re=related

BTW The ship described in Day 6 was in fact Dick Dastardly's time-travelling spacecraft from the simulator ride.

Funny thing is, I wonder if Len had ever been on the ride, and if he had, does he remember it? The attraction ended its run at Universal Studios Orlando back in 2002 - he would have been 12 years old! One of the many plot flaws had to let stay in...

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Mon 05, 2010 8:40 pm

mindflipper wrote:And for those who never saw Dick Dastardly and Muttley in their simulator ride over at Universal Studios, well, you're in luck. The video is out on the net. Here's the pre-show summarized: after being introduced by Yogi Bear and Boo-boo, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera talk about animation to park guests. Dick Dastardly and Muttley crash it and demand to be the stars of the next movie to be made. When Hanna and Barbera refuse, the two vililans kidnap Elroy Jetson in order to sabotage production on the Jetson Movie. The park guests board a ship to pursue the villians, and the ship is piloted by Yogi Bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTBZNnO2 ... re=related

BTW The ship described in Day 6 was in fact Dick Dastardly's time-travelling spacecraft from the simulator ride.
Man I miss Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera! Now, I just walk by that building (same with Shrek... most of the time) and remember how fun Hanna Barbera was.

Thanks for posting that, mindflipper.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 05, 2010 8:58 pm

MadEye wrote:Man I miss Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera! Now, I just walk by that building (same with Shrek... most of the time) and remember how fun Hanna Barbera was.

Thanks for posting that, mindflipper.
I miss FW0HB too. I was the first simulator ride to open in Orlando at any of the parks. I like the way it was laid out better than Disney's "shake-n-bake" simulators (a term I got from a castmember describing the Body Wars/Star Tours simulators).

As a homage to the ride, i adapted some of the dialogue from the ride and mixed it into Days 6, 7, and 8.

Oddly enough, Universal still owns the right the film, so if they wanted to release it to DVD, they could no differently the Jetson or the Flintstones.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Tue 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Mindflipper, I'm honored to have been the inspiration for your story. I have to say, though, that you totally topped mine. You've got talent. My hat's off to you, buddy. :mrgreen:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jul Tue 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Alright bud, give us the back story on Yogi using your likeness that was posted on Subsonic. Or was that a cover-up for an oversight?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Tue 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Mindflipper, I'm honored to have been the inspiration for your story. I have to say, though, that you totally topped mine. You've got talent. My hat's off to you, buddy. :mrgreen:
As a nod to your "adventure" in your trip report, I used the wishing well in mine as well.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Tue 06, 2010 1:36 pm

NaCler wrote:Alright bud, give us the back story on Yogi using your likeness that was posted on Subsonic. Or was that a cover-up for an oversight?

...or maybe leaving it open for a prequel perhaps? Hmmmmmm...... :? :wink: :lol: :?:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Well I am back and I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I did manage to glimpse at days 1 and 2. I did wonder why my iPhone took a detour when going through airport security. There was no communication between mindflipper and I about the report. I was amused that he figured out the day we would see Summer nightastic and MSEP. As for the real trip report, I'm not sure if there would be a way to top the humor of mindflipper's creation.

Yes I did honor mindflipper with a phone call from the world since Mindflipper surprised Mark and I with a very kind gesture. It was great to get to speak to the creative mind himself.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Tue 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Len90 wrote:Well I am back and I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I did manage to glimpse at days 1 and 2. I did wonder why my iPhone took a detour when going through airport security. There was no communication between mindflipper and I about the report. I was amused that he figured out the day we would see Summer nightastic and MSEP. As for the real trip report, I'm not sure if there would be a way to top the humor of mindflipper's creation.

Yes I did honor mindflipper with a phone call from the world since Mindflipper surprised Mark and I with a very kind gesture. It was great to get to speak to the creative mind himself.
Thanks, Len90. I had tried at first to guess what your plans would be and to work the story around it, but eventually I went with it being the other way around.

If I had thought about it, I should have asked you and Mark to take some "staged photos" of the two you doing things that I could have mixed into the story. Oh well, that's hindsight.

Hard part in writing is trying to write real people as characters. I hope that "story Len" has some of the "Len-ness" of the original. Mark was more difficult; I hadn't interacted with him much on Subsonic, so it was harder to write him as a character.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 13, 2010 8:51 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:Well I am back and I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I did manage to glimpse at days 1 and 2. I did wonder why my iPhone took a detour when going through airport security. There was no communication between mindflipper and I about the report. I was amused that he figured out the day we would see Summer nightastic and MSEP. As for the real trip report, I'm not sure if there would be a way to top the humor of mindflipper's creation.

Thanks, Len90. I had tried at first to guess what your plans would be and to work the story around it, but eventually I went with it being the other way around.

If I had thought about it, I should have asked you and Mark to take some "staged photos" of the two you doing things that I could have mixed into the story. Oh well, that's hindsight.

Hard part in writing is trying to write real people as characters. I hope that "story Len" has some of the "Len-ness" of the original. Mark was more difficult; I hadn't interacted with him much on Subsonic, so it was harder to write him as a character.
Maybe Len is just more of a character than Mark :lol:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:

Maybe Len is just more of a character than Mark :lol:
That just might be the case. After all I am the one who did the hokey pokey in Prime Time and had the ENTIRE restaurant going. There is video and it will be posted when scaled down to get on the internet. Unfortunately the volume of the restaurant is not picked up, but it was really loud! :goofy_bounce:

Mindflipper, so long as the story Len was crazy and unpredictable I think it will be a close enough match :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"