Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: New Iphone

Post by Len90 » Jun Tue 22, 2010 12:53 am

mindflipper wrote:
Mark86 wrote:I actually didn't have many hardware problems with my 3G. I had an issue with a Macbook Pro that I bought in 2007. They ended up replacing it for me and the current Macbook Pro (bought in July 2009) is an awesome laptop. It is probably the best computer I have ever owned. Never had problems with ipods.
Hmmmmmm, glad to see Len's Iphone Curse has not extended to other electronics, and not to any other memeber of his family. Len, I hope your curse ends with the 3G phones. What's the big difference between 3G and 4G phones anyway?
There are the obvious cosmetic differences and a lot of new features. There is the ability to video chat with other iphone users when on wifi, run multiple applications at the same time, better camera, video camera, better screen, new os, and much more that I can't really think of off the top of my head. I really do hope that my curse ends with the iPhone 4.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 22, 2010 9:38 am

You need to find a gypsy to see if she can release from your curse...hmmmmm, when you're in the Haunted Mansion, maybe you can get Madame Leota to hold a seance to get your iphone depossessed? :wink: :lol:

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jun Wed 23, 2010 11:04 am

Josh Q wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Nah...we're gonna go for android phones
thats what I'm looking at
My wife and I have had EVOs on Sprint for the last 3 weeks running Android OS. It truly is a phenomenal phone. Upgraded from an iPhone 3G and don't think we'd be able to go back to iOS (without Jailbreaking at least). There's so much customization allowed in Android that it gets ridiculous. And with Froyo right around the corner, it just keeps getting better.

I will say that the iPhone definitely is a bit more user friendly, but when you get used to Android it open up your eyes to what you can do on a phone. I loved my iPhone, but I love my EVO even more. Being able to get on Skype and video chat with family from their computers on Wifi, 3G, or 4G (WiMax), the crazy customization, wireless tethering for up to 8 devices, a great 4.3 inch screen. Granted the phone does have a few issues as they all do. But the pros far outweigh the cons.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Thu 24, 2010 3:00 pm

jrcohen wrote:
Josh Q wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Nah...we're gonna go for android phones
thats what I'm looking at
My wife and I have had EVOs on Sprint for the last 3 weeks running Android OS. It truly is a phenomenal phone. Upgraded from an iPhone 3G and don't think we'd be able to go back to iOS (without Jailbreaking at least). There's so much customization allowed in Android that it gets ridiculous. And with Froyo right around the corner, it just keeps getting better.

I will say that the iPhone definitely is a bit more user friendly, but when you get used to Android it open up your eyes to what you can do on a phone. I loved my iPhone, but I love my EVO even more. Being able to get on Skype and video chat with family from their computers on Wifi, 3G, or 4G (WiMax), the crazy customization, wireless tethering for up to 8 devices, a great 4.3 inch screen. Granted the phone does have a few issues as they all do. But the pros far outweigh the cons.
I am sooo jealous right now....we're looking at getting the EVO as well and I'm glad to hear positive things about it. In fact, about the only negative thing I have heard (and perhaps you can clarify) is the battery life. But we have been told that an extended life battery is already on the way along with other accessories. Hubby's hooked...he doesn't want anything else now....but we have to wait a bit.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Fri 25, 2010 12:42 am

Well I now am proud to say that I have a new iPhone 4 up and working. The new OS is excellent and the phone is amazing. I have really yet to use it as a phone for more than a 1-2 minute call. It is a great improvement over the 3G. I am very happy that we pre-ordered with BestBuy. We had a set time to come in and receive one on one attention in setting up the phone. I went to the mall after we got our phones and were met by mobs of people outside the Apple Store. There had to be over 200 people waiting in the "reserved" line and close to 50 on the other side in the stand-by line. Everybody was camping out and had to be waiting for hours. The store had armed security at the entrance and would let you in after you stated what you were looking to purchase. It was chaotic and crazy. I am so glad we didn't have to put up with that at Best Buy.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Jun Fri 25, 2010 11:36 am

Len90 wrote:Well I now am proud to say that I have a new iPhone 4 up and working. The new OS is excellent and the phone is amazing. I have really yet to use it as a phone for more than a 1-2 minute call. It is a great improvement over the 3G. I am very happy that we pre-ordered with BestBuy. We had a set time to come in and receive one on one attention in setting up the phone. I went to the mall after we got our phones and were met by mobs of people outside the Apple Store. There had to be over 200 people waiting in the "reserved" line and close to 50 on the other side in the stand-by line. Everybody was camping out and had to be waiting for hours. The store had armed security at the entrance and would let you in after you stated what you were looking to purchase. It was chaotic and crazy. I am so glad we didn't have to put up with that at Best Buy.
That's just crazy. Were the Apple Store Police armed with Apple-manufactured iGuns that feature a smooth aluminum finish and a triggerless multitouch interface? :D

I heard that some of the people who waited overnight actually packed spare pairs of pants so they wouldn't have to give up their place in line to go to the bathroom. It's just a phone, people! Not a cancer cure! Anyway, I'm glad you got your phone before your trip. It's always nice to have a new piece of technology to play with :)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Fri 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Future Guy wrote:
Len90 wrote:Well I now am proud to say that I have a new iPhone 4 up and working. The new OS is excellent and the phone is amazing. I have really yet to use it as a phone for more than a 1-2 minute call. It is a great improvement over the 3G. I am very happy that we pre-ordered with BestBuy. We had a set time to come in and receive one on one attention in setting up the phone. I went to the mall after we got our phones and were met by mobs of people outside the Apple Store. There had to be over 200 people waiting in the "reserved" line and close to 50 on the other side in the stand-by line. Everybody was camping out and had to be waiting for hours. The store had armed security at the entrance and would let you in after you stated what you were looking to purchase. It was chaotic and crazy. I am so glad we didn't have to put up with that at Best Buy.
That's just crazy. Were the Apple Store Police armed with Apple-manufactured iGuns that feature a smooth aluminum finish and a triggerless multitouch interface? :D

I heard that some of the people who waited overnight actually packed spare pairs of pants so they wouldn't have to give up their place in line to go to the bathroom. It's just a phone, people! Not a cancer cure! Anyway, I'm glad you got your phone before your trip. It's always nice to have a new piece of technology to play with :)
LOL they were just normal armed guards. Nothing special. It is insane how long some of the people lined up for in order to get a phone. I am really happy that Best Buy did it by appointment after you pre-ordered. The line at the Apple Store reminded me of what you see on the news for Black Friday except the people were just standing in line instead of stampeding into the store.
- Len90

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jun Mon 28, 2010 8:04 am

Len90 wrote: The line at the Apple Store reminded me of what you see on the news for Black Friday except the people were just standing in line instead of stampeding into the store.
At least the Apple customers are an orderly mob.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Jun Tue 29, 2010 2:36 pm

I wonder how Len's making out with his iPhone, what with the reception issue that occurs when you hold it "wrong" (i.e. exactly how the people in the Apple ads hold it) and the fact that the front and back are made of glass. I sure hope he got a case.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 13, 2010 7:48 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
Len90 wrote: The line at the Apple Store reminded me of what you see on the news for Black Friday except the people were just standing in line instead of stampeding into the store.
At least the Apple customers are an orderly mob.
The apple customers were very mellow and were all standing in line peacefully. However, I think the armed security might have had a part in that.
Future Guy wrote:I wonder how Len's making out with his iPhone, what with the reception issue that occurs when you hold it "wrong" (i.e. exactly how the people in the Apple ads hold it) and the fact that the front and back are made of glass. I sure hope he got a case.
I have been making out very well so far. I took the phone away and did take a few pictures on it so I can set my home screen and wallpaper as different pictures. The camera takes excellent quality pictures. However, the video camera is phenomenal. It actually took better videos than my point and shoot camera which takes HD video. This was what I observed when watching the videos I took at the concerts we went to this past weekend.

As for the "death grip" it does exist. However, I have not had an issue with it. I have my phone in a case and I always tend to be extremely careful with my cell phones.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Tue 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Len90 wrote:As for the "death grip" it does exist. However, I have not had an issue with it. I have my phone in a case and I always tend to be extremely careful with my cell phones.
They're people pushing for a recall due to the "death grip" - do you think it should be recalled for that?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 13, 2010 11:12 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:As for the "death grip" it does exist. However, I have not had an issue with it. I have my phone in a case and I always tend to be extremely careful with my cell phones.
They're people pushing for a recall due to the "death grip" - do you think it should be recalled for that?
Not at all. I do think that everybody should be given the Bumpers case with the purchase of the iPhone. However, there are reports coming out that Duck Tape can act as a fix. Also they are stating that all of the death grip is software related and is caused by the sensitivity of the antenna bands.
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 14, 2010 7:29 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Not at all. I do think that everybody should be given the Bumpers case with the purchase of the iPhone. However, there are reports coming out that Duck Tape can act as a fix. Also they are stating that all of the death grip is software related and is caused by the sensitivity of the antenna bands.
Yeah, that is what everybody wants to put on their new iphone - duct tape! :roll: :lol:

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Wed 14, 2010 6:51 pm

My girlfriend just got hers yesterday. She raves about how fast it is compared to her original one. She has just one problem. Dropped calls. Constantly. She holds it in her left hand, which I hear is an issue. Also saw that Consumer Reports is not recommending it for purchase.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Wed 14, 2010 7:23 pm

kcarts wrote:My girlfriend just got hers yesterday. She raves about how fast it is compared to her original one. She has just one problem. Dropped calls. Constantly. She holds it in her left hand, which I hear is an issue. Also saw that Consumer Reports is not recommending it for purchase.
Does she have it in a case? If so, bring it into AT&T for another SIM card. If not, have her buy a case for it and it should help with the dropped calls.
- Len90