NBA Finals

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

NBA Finals

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Fri 04, 2010 8:26 am

Well my Celts are down 0-1 but I was really just hoping we can get at least 1 out in the opening LA stand which we can still do. The Celts looked a little sloppy, but so did the Lakers in my opinion. The Celts should have been totally blown out last night (and some may say they were but to be within striking distance as long as they were as bad as they were playing I'd disagree). I personally think the keys to winning for the Celts are:

1) Rebounding on both ends: They gave LA way too many second chance opportunities on defense and could not pull down anything on offense. LA has a height advantage, but that hasn't stopped this C's team before.

2) Tony Allen: I think I'm in the "uneducated" minority here in Boston, but I've never really liked this guy.; he's totally overrated. Give the minutes to Nate Robinson. Allen is a l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y; something you can't have on the court in the finals. The amount of turnovers that guy gives up are frightening and even worse is how ugly his turnovers are. Who the Hell taught him to pass?? It wasn't Doc because I'm pretty sure Rondo got his passing game improved since being under Doc's tutelage. If I see Allen lob another ball over the paint with the likes of Gasol or Bynum in between to try and hit Rondo I'm going to scream- and he's done it all playoffs and all season! He's the sloppiest player I've seen and he tries way too hard to be a playmaker. His defense is solid, but unless the ball is in the hands of someone wearing gold and purple I don't want him anywhere near it.

3) Shots/shot selection: I don't know if we're just off on accuracy or it was shot selection but coupled with the lack of offensive rebounding this just murdered us last night. So many bricks off poor looks when there were open shooters. They need to get back into passing to the open man- something that when they are executing at the level they are capable of no one does better. They need that UBUNTU back!

4) Refs: Sorry, I have to say it but the refs are a factor. I think the refs called a fair game, giving neither team an advantage in terms of consistency (something I cannot and will not say was the case in the Orlando series, particularly game 5), the problem is Boston is a physical team where the Lakers aren't so much- with the refs calling the game that tight (any game where Ray Allen has 3 fouls in under 15 minutes of floor time HAS to be being called tight, that dude's the softest player on the team) it plays more to the advantage of the Lakers. The C's will need to make adjustments in their style if that's going to continue because we cannot have the likes of Marquis Daniels being on the floor for anything other than garbage minutes. When Jesus Shuttlesworth, Perk, and KG all on the bench half way through the first we're in trouble.

Anyway, Go Green! Beat LA! :mrgreen:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: NBA Finals

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Fri 04, 2010 8:31 am

This is going to be a very tight series. IMHO, I think the Lakes are over rated.

GO CELTICS!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Fri 04, 2010 1:10 pm

This is a really funny situation...

In baseball, my team is the Angels and I can't stand the Red Sox (and the A's, but that's another story ;))

In basketball, I don't really have a team but I don't like the Lakers.

So here we are at the NBA finals and I'm actually cheering for BOSTON!!!! :shock: What is going on here????

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Fri 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I didn't think there was anyone else on here who really cared about the Finals. The C's need to get their heads out of the clouds if they want to complete the Disney Daily Double (they beat Orlando in the conference finals). They were lethargic and at all aggressive. They need to dip back into the formula that got them here. Play defense! They will not win a game if they don't toughen up and play some defense and rebound.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Fri 04, 2010 1:21 pm

We're not really into basketball...other than NCAA, but I always like to keep an eye on the finals. Baseball is our big sport so that takes precedence.

Same thing with hockey and football...but with hubby being from Chi town, I usually root for those teams. (Go Blackhawks!)

I like your avatar kcarts!

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Fri 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks, Madame. But me thinks you would like anything besides the BoSox avatar I had up! :lol:

Anywho.....

How does that song go?

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind......

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ett_h.html

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Sat 05, 2010 12:51 am

kcarts wrote:Thanks, Madame. But me thinks you would like anything besides the BoSox avatar I had up! :lol:

Anywho.....

How does that song go?

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind......

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ett_h.html
Yeah, basically... :lol:

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Mon 07, 2010 8:41 am

Yay 1-1 :)

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Wed 09, 2010 8:30 am

Doesn't look good for the green and white. Couple of daunting stats they are going against......

Phil Jackson is 47-0 in series in which his team wins game 1.

Since 1985 (when the Finals went to 2-3-2 format) when the series is tied 1-1, the winner of game 3 is 10-0 in those series.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Thu 10, 2010 7:49 am

Those stats don't mean a whole lot to be quite honest. They mean something to odds makers maybe, or at least the people who make the bets, but I don't invest a lot in them.

I think the real stat to be worried about was the C's shooting percentage. Even worse, the stats don't really reflect how bad the shots that were missed were. A lot of the front of the rim. Ray Allen won't go 0-for-anything again for the rest of the series, but he won't go on some nutty 8-10 or whatever it was from the 3 line again either. If he can average 16 or so points, and KG and Rondo keep playing the way they played Game 3 or Pierce decides to actually show up for once they'll be okay.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Fri 11, 2010 9:05 am

That game was really exciting! I do have to say we have the strangest characters on the Celts- Big Baby and KG are both borderline psychotic I think...and I LOVE it! They need the intensity but that tech on Sheed hurts cause that's his 6th of the playoffs. They need to make it a 3 per series rule, not 7 per playoffs. Such a stupid, prohibitive rule particularly with the emergence of the double-technical over the last few seasons.
Last edited by Mr.ToadWildRider on Jun Mon 14, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Fri 11, 2010 5:05 pm

I think the seven tech rule is fine. I just think the "double tech" either shouldn't count toward the total, or call them double personal fouls.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Mon 14, 2010 8:56 am

Well if they got rid of the double-tech counting towards the 7 total it would be rare for anyone to get in that kind of trouble over the course of the playoffs and it'd be better in my opinion as well.

My problem even excluding the double technical is that it can unfairly burden teams who play grittier teams. Celtics-Magic was a rough, physical series and a lot of techs got called. Because the Magic are a more physical (some may say dirty) team than the Suns are the Celts get put in a disadvantaged position. Granted, you don't want to be in trouble the answer is don't do anything that warrants or even gives the appearance of warranting a tech, the problem is if you're getting roughed up in the playoffs I don't care who you are you're going to react with some emotion. Compound that with the completely subjective way refs hand out techs and it's not a good mix. I feel like restarting the tech-counter each series puts each team at a much clearer, even playing field.

I would also point out I'd feel this way even if the Celts weren't in trouble over this, though I might not be as acutely aware of the situation if it weren't the Celts in the hotseat.

With all that being said 3-2 which is the realistic best the Celts could've hoped for I think at this stage. I don't think it'd be realistic to either expect them to have swept L.A. in L.A. the first two games (though that could've been said about the Magic too) or sweep 3 games in Boston. They're in a good position now, but I'd feel a lot better if they shut it down tomorrow night.

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jun Mon 14, 2010 11:11 am

It's over Tuesday night. Especially if Bynum is still worthless. Once he goes out, the entire middle opens up for Boston.

And add this to list of stats that I have been throwing out.....

The C's are 11-0 in Finals series in which they have led 3-2.

Something's got to give.

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Jun Tue 15, 2010 9:20 am

It's funny, I put no stock into any of those team history stats but I have no problem believing my playoff beard and/or my insistance on playing some silly little wooden flute in rally situations (from my living room) makes a difference.

I guess the way I look at those stats are they're fun but one of those undefeated historical stats is going out the window this series as that 11-0 cancels out w/ PJ's undefeated 1-0 start stat that I saw/heard everywhere after game 1.

I predict that they may make a switch and put Kobe on PP for defense tonight since he wants it and he seems to have as much say as PJ in certain situations and Artest's rather awful night Sunday. I think this will actually help us as Kobe will be more likely to get into foul trouble against PP who penetrates a lot and is a master of that cheesy little head fake/step in to draw foul/make shot and hope for an +1 play. I don't think Kobe will fall for it as much as others have but it'll still be an issue. And w/o Kobe on the floor I don't think the Lakers have a shot.

Lakers fans have posted all over the place 2 things I find very funny:

1) "Kobe is going to have breakout games in 6 and 7 because he has to" - Did they even watch game 5? That WAS a breakout game, dude scored 38 points and most of those 38 came on heavily contested, talent freak show shots.

2) "The refs will swing back to LA's favor"- I don't really complain about refs too much. With the exception of game 5 of the Orlando series in which it looked as though the refs had basically eliminated the C's best defense against Howard for 1.5 games with those two BS techs (thankfully it was ONLY 1/2 a game we lost him...) I don't think the refs have been an overwhelming factor. The called it close game 1 of this series and as I noted earlier that makes the C's a little vulnerable, just as when they open it up it makes the Lakers more vulnerable so they do have an impact. But I find it funny because if anything I thought the calls were bad going both ways, but I would have given the ultimate advantage to the Lakers, NOT the C's. Maybe it's hometown bias...or maybe it's that that HUGE ref support for the C's yielded twice as many free throws for the Lakers. Sure, the C's strategy (which I think it great) is give a hard foul to prevent an easy 2 point shot and make them make both baskets from the line so they will get a lot of free throws...but that goes the other way too- a large % of foul shots by the C's in the game (I think it was like 4/9 for the game) came on intentional fouls at the end of the game to stop the clock. The Lakers had over 20 free throws that game. Of course that all adds up to Celtics riding the refs somehow to Laker fans...