Time for lemonade and cracker jack....

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Interesting. A corn allergy? Wow, that eliminates a lot for you!

I'm allergic to tree nuts, so I understand having to look closely at everything you eat. (yours is far more expansive though...it must be tough! :shock: )

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Arete » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:23 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Interesting. A corn allergy? Wow, that eliminates a lot for you!

I'm allergic to tree nuts, so I understand having to look closely at everything you eat. (yours is far more expansive though...it must be tough! :shock: )
It can be; I just have to read all ingredient lists, even on things I usually buy. Sometimes they change and what was once ok is now off limits (although lately it's been moving in the opposite direction.)

I can't really complain, as my mom is allergic not only to corn, but peanuts (severely), eggs, garlic, and gluten. Luckily Disney is very accommodating to people with allergies. You should see some of the food the chefs have whipped up for us. :D

In fact, here's a picture of what the chef at Boma made for mom: http://disney-stock.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d29majj

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Arete wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
Arete wrote:I wish I could eat cracker jack. *grumblemumbleallergies*

I've always preferred winter at the parks myself. The heat is more than I care to bear. <.<
Allergic to peanuts?

I'm actually allergic to corn. It's quite annoying, but I'm liking this new anti-corn syrup movement. A lot of foods are becoming available to me again, like ketchup. I recently found Faygo with cane sugar and did a little happy dance in the grocery store. :D

And as for heat vs. humidity - I loathe them both. It's something like 83 here today in Ohio, and for me, that's too hot, especially for April 30th. Spending any time outside in 90+ weather with or without humidity is very hard on me.
Allergic to corn? Wow, that's got to be really hard to deal with. It seems like everything has corn syrup in it now. How do you cope? You must have to ask a ton of question when you order food from any place.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Arete wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Interesting. A corn allergy? Wow, that eliminates a lot for you!

It can be; I just have to read all ingredient lists, even on things I usually buy. Sometimes they change and what was once ok is now off limits (although lately it's been moving in the opposite direction.)

I can't really complain, as my mom is allergic not only to corn, but peanuts (severely), eggs, garlic, and gluten. Luckily Disney is very accommodating to people with allergies. You should see some of the food the chefs have whipped up for us. :D

In fact, here's a picture of what the chef at Boma made for mom: http://disney-stock.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d29majj
Holy crap! :shock: She must have a really hard time finding foods she can eat!

I have always said it's good that I'm not allergic to peanuts because I can't imagine life without peanut butter! Thank God it's a legume and not a nut!

Arete

Post by Arete » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Holy crap! :shock: She must have a really hard time finding foods she can eat!

I have always said it's good that I'm not allergic to peanuts because I can't imagine life without peanut butter! Thank God it's a legume and not a nut!
At Disney we just ask for the chef right away. It's easier that way. We like the counter service in the Land because they have a couple things mom can have right off the menu; she really likes the salmon there. The counter service all have gluten free products now, which is beyond awesome. The manager will come out and make sure the food is prepared correctly. Even the ice cream parlor has soy or rice cream. Ah yes, that's the one I forgot - she is also allergic to milk. I knew I was missing something.

At home she eats pretty simply. When she comes down to visit I'll usually make her some goodies like gluten-free cake or cookies.

Mom's favorite food was peanut butter, and peanuts are in just about as much stuff as corn. It was really hard eliminating them until that law was passed that forced companies to list if there were traces in the food.
Last edited by Arete on Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Arete wrote:
Allergic to corn? Wow, that's got to be really hard to deal with. It seems like everything has corn syrup in it now. How do you cope? You must have to ask a ton of question when you order food from any place.

I know some places are ok because they list ingredients on their websites, which is nice. I usually order just water or occasionally a diet Coke; sugary pop is a definitely-not anywhere in the US. Any place that specializes in corn based food I just avoid altogether. As a last resort a salad with just vinegar is a safe bet, or breakfast if it's a place that serves it all day. Most restaurants there's usually only a few things on the menu that I can safely eat.
I think that's why I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to food (especially desserts)...stick with the safe stuff (although those crazy chefs have decided it's cool to start cooking with walnut oil and throwing almonds and cashews into lots of entrees :roll: )

Arete

Post by Arete » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:43 pm

MmeLeota wrote: I think that's why I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to food (especially desserts)...stick with the safe stuff (although those crazy chefs have decided it's cool to start cooking with walnut oil and throwing almonds and cashews into lots of entrees :roll: )
Peanuts are like that, too. They like to put them on the meat as a fancy crust. Peanut oil will crop up a lot as well, especially in the Asian restaurants. We've never even set foot in either the China or Japan restaurants. It's too great a risk.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Fri 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Arete wrote:
MmeLeota wrote: I think that's why I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to food (especially desserts)...stick with the safe stuff (although those crazy chefs have decided it's cool to start cooking with walnut oil and throwing almonds and cashews into lots of entrees :roll: )
Peanuts are like that, too. They like to put them on the meat as a fancy crust. Peanut oil will crop up a lot as well, especially in the Asian restaurants. We've never even set foot in either the China or Japan restaurants. It's too great a risk.
Oh yeah, I don't blame you at all!