Favorite Non Disney Vacation.

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Favorite Non Disney Vacation.

Post by MetalRage » Mar Mon 08, 2010 7:15 pm

What is everyone's favorite non Disney vacation? I love to go to the Florida Keys or somewhere in the Islands and just relaxing in the sun. Also, I love going to National Parks.

Image Image Image
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Mon 08, 2010 7:24 pm

We went on our first cruise a year and a half ago (non-disney) and had a blast! We would love to go on another one! Aside from that we like taking trips to San Francisco and Arizona (for spring training).

Personally, I love to visit National parks (Yosemite is my all-time fave), but hubby is not really outdoorsy and has limits that prevent him from truly enjoying a hike.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Mon 08, 2010 7:40 pm

I love my trips to the Florida Keys, can't BEAT the fishing. It helps my uncle CAPTAIN JIM BROWNE had a charter boat there in the late 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's until he passed! He was a KEYS PIONEER!! As Jimmy Buffett has said "MY KEYS AREN'T THE SAME"!!

I do have to say my FAVORITE non-Disney vacations are to New York City!! You can't beat the FOOD, the Lights, the Museums, the Shows, the History, and My FAMILY!! It's HOME!!! I always remember without CONEY ISLAND there is no Disney!! It was America's first play ground!! I'm not just from New York!! I'm a CONEY ISLAND NATIVE!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Mine would have to be our most recent car trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls Canada. We had originally planned on going for 4 nights. Two days before we were supposed to leave, dad came up with the idea of going a day early. We quickly called up and added the day on. We left around 11:30AM and due to three hours of traffic at the boarder, got to our hotel at around midnight. We checked in and ran to the restaurant down the road for a burger. It worked out that the Yankees were playing the Blue Jays, so we had gotten tickets for both games. It ended up being field level seats for two games (4 people each game) and cost less than 2 field level tickets at Yankee Stadium. I did wear a Yankee shirt as a good sport even though I am a Mets fan.

During our stay in Toronto, we had originally planned on making a day trip to Niagara Falls. We then realized it is technically on our way home so in the hotel room we made the reservation to spend a night at Niagara Falls. It gave us a little over a day to explore the falls and allowed us to accomplish Maid of the Mist, Behind the Falls, and get LOTS of pictures.

The reason I really liked this trip so much is the spontaneity. It was planned to be a 4 day get-away about a week in advance. It turned into a 6 day vacation and we really had a blast.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Arete » Mar Mon 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm from Ohio and as a true theme park lover and roller coaster enthusiast, I'll have to go with going to Cedar Point and King's Island. :D

Or any place I can wander around with my camera and take 2000 pictures. :lol:

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 09, 2010 1:32 pm

The past few years I've tried to go to a different ballpark and catch a baseball game. My sister lives in Philly and I have been there several times. I think that's where I started to think about expanding it out a bit. In 2005, besides Philadelphia, I went to Baltimore and Washington (the old RFK at the time). Since then my Dad and I went to Yankee Stadium in 2008 to see it before they tore it down and last August we went out to Chicago and went to Wrigley Field and then up to Milwaukee to Miller Park. This year we might have to pass but we have talked about heading to Anaheim (use some DVC points at Disneyland) and hit San Diego, Anaheim and LA.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 09, 2010 1:43 pm

kcarts wrote:The past few years I've tried to go to a different ballpark and catch a baseball game. My sister lives in Philly and I have been there several times. I think that's where I started to think about expanding it out a bit. In 2005, besides Philadelphia, I went to Baltimore and Washington (the old RFK at the time). Since then my Dad and I went to Yankee Stadium in 2008 to see it before they tore it down and last August we went out to Chicago and went to Wrigley Field and then up to Milwaukee to Miller Park. This year we might have to pass but we have talked about heading to Anaheim (use some DVC points at Disneyland) and hit San Diego, Anaheim and LA.
This is something hubby and I are trying to do too...slowly but surely. It's harder out West because everything is so spread out. We would like to take a trip back East to hit a few since there's a bunch within a few hours of each other. Sad to say, my first major league game (non-exhibition) was only 5 years ago (Angel Stadium of course) and I have only been to San Francisco and Chicago US Cellular (will always be Comiskey to me). I'd like to add at least 1 new park a year, but it's not always possible.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Tue 09, 2010 1:43 pm

kcarts wrote:The past few years I've tried to go to a different ballpark and catch a baseball game. My sister lives in Philly and I have been there several times. I think that's where I started to think about expanding it out a bit. In 2005, besides Philadelphia, I went to Baltimore and Washington (the old RFK at the time). Since then my Dad and I went to Yankee Stadium in 2008 to see it before they tore it down and last August we went out to Chicago and went to Wrigley Field and then up to Milwaukee to Miller Park. This year we might have to pass but we have talked about heading to Anaheim (use some DVC points at Disneyland) and hit San Diego, Anaheim and LA.
COOL BASEBALL!!!!!!!!

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 09, 2010 2:01 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
This is something hubby and I are trying to do too...slowly but surely. It's harder out West because everything is so spread out. We would like to take a trip back East to hit a few since there's a bunch within a few hours of each other. Sad to say, my first major league game (non-exhibition) was only 5 years ago (Angel Stadium of course) and I have only been to San Francisco and Chicago US Cellular (will always be Comiskey to me). I'd like to add at least 1 new park a year, but it's not always possible.
I'm lucky living in New England. So many, so close. We might just try a day trip to Flushing and see the Mets.

That's funny you mention that about out west. Since it would be cross country for us we are trying look at the schedules this year and see if we time it right that we can do the three in SoCal and then the two in the Bay Area. May be spend a week out there. Just couldn't find a week that worked this season.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 09, 2010 2:06 pm

kcarts wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
I'm lucky living in New England. So many, so close. We might just try a day trip to Flushing and see the Mets.

That's funny you mention that about out west. Since it would be cross country for us we are trying look at the schedules this year and see if we time it right that we can do the three in SoCal and then the two in the Bay Area. May be spend a week out there. Just couldn't find a week that worked this season.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not easy to "schedule" the games. That was why we only got to the the White Sox (Angels won! Yeah!) and not the Cubs, and only got to see the Giants (again, Angels won!) and not the A's.
In the meantime, we have a minor-league team here so we like to catch games there and see the future of the sport.

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Minor League baseball is fantastic! Especially if you have a AAA team. It's a fraction of the cost and you get to see some stars of tomorrow. And if you're lucky maybe a guy rehabbing for the big club.

I love going to a PawSox game. It's about $10 to get in (free parking) and the food and beer is about 1/2 as much as it is at Fenway. For the price of the game and food in Pawtucket, you can't get parking in Boston for a Red Sox game.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Yeah, tell me about it! We do indeed have a AAA team and have seen some great guys come through here! I think we've even had a couple of our guys go to the PawSox. The best part is that since the AAA team for the Angels is in our division, they come here at least 3 times throught the season...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Tue 09, 2010 2:49 pm

But aren't the Angels a minor league team? GO BRAVES!!!

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:But aren't the Angels a minor league team? GO BRAVES!!!
If this forum were a hockey game you'd get two minutes for instigating and a game misconduct! :lol:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:But aren't the Angels a minor league team? GO BRAVES!!!
OUCH Jacca!!!!

...and where were the BRAVES during the playoffs last year???? :wink:

(I think we're gonna have to have a baseball thread for the smack-talk :twisted: )