2010 Movies

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Re: 2010 Movies

Post by MadEye » Jul Tue 27, 2010 5:54 pm

kcarts wrote:It amazes me that people still go to the movies as much as they do. How much does it cost now? $10- $15. Just to see the film? Add in $8 popcorn/candy and a $5 tonic, if there are two of you that's $46.
At the AMC at DTD here in WDW, if you go to a movie before 12 noon its $6. They don't force you to get a popcorn or soda, though. Me, though, I usually get Earl of Sandwich before the movie. Bring a backpack like you are a tourist (I can't really say any of you are tourists since a lot you know so much about WDW) with the sandwich in it (they won't search it or anything) and you can eat it during the movie. Mmmm, Earl of Sandwich....
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Wed 28, 2010 7:35 am

MadEye wrote:
kcarts wrote:It amazes me that people still go to the movies as much as they do. How much does it cost now? $10- $15. Just to see the film? Add in $8 popcorn/candy and a $5 tonic, if there are two of you that's $46.
At the AMC at DTD here in WDW, if you go to a movie before 12 noon its $6. They don't force you to get a popcorn or soda, though. Me, though, I usually get Earl of Sandwich before the movie. Bring a backpack like you are a tourist (I can't really say any of you are tourists since a lot you know so much about WDW) with the sandwich in it (they won't search it or anything) and you can eat it during the movie. Mmmm, Earl of Sandwich....
The matinee prices around here are $10. And they don't force you to buy popcorn either. :wink:

I was merely trying to make the point that if you wanted to go to the movies with your S.O. for "date night", it's not a cheap date anymore.

Have you ever seen the reports on how much it costs to take a family of four to a pro sports event? They figure in parking, food, souvenirs and tickets. I was trying to do the same with a movie.
Last edited by kcarts on Jul Sat 31, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Wed 28, 2010 8:44 am

kcarts wrote:The matinee prices around here are $10. And they don't force you to buy popcorn either. :wink:

I was merely trying to make the point that if you wanted to go to the movies with your S.O. for "date night", it's not a cheap date anymore.

Have you ever seen the reports on how much it costs to take a family of four to a pro sports event? They figure in parking, food, souvenirs and tickets. I was trying to do the same with a movie.
Oh, I know what you were doing. I was just rubbing it in again that I live so close to WDW ( :P ). In all seriousness, DTD AMC is one of (tied with Universal CityWalk's AMC and the Regal with IMAX on I-Drive near Wonderworks) the best theaters in town.

Side note: Universal's AMC will accept Disney Cast Member IDs for a discount but DTD's will not accept Universal IDs...
― Dr. Seuss

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Wed 28, 2010 9:08 am

kcarts wrote:I was merely trying to make the point that if you wanted to go to the movies with your S.O. for "date night", it's not a cheap date anymore.

So true! I think that is why Netflix does the business it does - just cheaper to wait for it to come out on rental than to see it in the theatre!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jul Wed 28, 2010 10:10 am

MadEye - I plan on seeing Inception next week as I'm hearing really good things about it. Hopefully, I won't be too lost and I can discuss it with you.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Wed 28, 2010 11:39 am

NaCler wrote:MadEye - I plan on seeing Inception next week as I'm hearing really good things about it. Hopefully, I won't be too lost and I can discuss it with you.

hmmmmmmm, sounds like we need to create an off-topic thread about Inception then! :D

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Wed 28, 2010 7:27 pm

NaCler wrote:MadEye - I plan on seeing Inception next week as I'm hearing really good things about it. Hopefully, I won't be too lost and I can discuss it with you.
Go in with an open mind and pay a lot of attention. You'll be scratching your head during the van/hotel/winter mountain fort if you don't pay attention. If you are planning on going with the kids, leave them at home, they will distract you and you'll be lost in the plot.
― Dr. Seuss

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Thu 29, 2010 7:29 pm

That's the best part... kids will be 700+ miles away for the next 2 weeks. I'll go alone or with a friend.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Thu 29, 2010 7:38 pm

NaCler wrote:That's the best part... kids will be 700+ miles away for the next 2 weeks. I'll go alone or with a friend.
In that case, go alone. I went with someone and we both agreed to pay as much attention to the movie as possible and to talk between each other at slower parts (still paying as much attention as possible to the movie while doing so) and still came out of the movie with full understanding of the plot. You should go alone so you can get the full effect of the plot and possibly take someone with you for a second viewing. We are both planning on seeing it again soon because I know there was at least one thing that went over my head and, like I said before, I still fully understood what was going on. So yeah, see it alone and later bring someone with you. They might catch something you missed both times. You never know.
― Dr. Seuss

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 29, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm hoping to see Inception sometime within the next week or so. I still need to see The A-Team but I'll wait until it comes out on DVD or at the $2 theater by my college.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Sat 31, 2010 8:57 am

Went to see Dinner for Schmucks last night. If you like stupid funny movies (like I do) you will find it extremely funny at times. If you don't, then don't go... that's the best advice I can give on this one.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 31, 2010 9:21 am

NaCler wrote:Went to see Dinner for Schmucks last night. If you like stupid funny movies (like I do) you will find it extremely funny at times. If you don't, then don't go... that's the best advice I can give on this one.
Is it stupid to the point of insulting intelligence, or just movie stupid?

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Aug Mon 02, 2010 10:20 am

Amy wrote:Is it stupid to the point of insulting intelligence, or just movie stupid?
Movie stupid... a tad over the top at times, but still a funny movie.

Also, I got to see Despicable Me and I agree with most on here that it is a good one. Not quite Disney magic but a great moral and all that mushy stuff...

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Tue 03, 2010 11:15 am

NaCler wrote: Movie stupid... a tad over the top at times, but still a funny movie.
I love Dumb and Dumber, so I use that as a benchmark for judging "stupid funny" movies. So.... how does it compare?

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Aug Mon 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Mousekedude wrote:I love Dumb and Dumber, so I use that as a benchmark for judging "stupid funny" movies. So.... how does it compare?
I love Dumb and Dumber... "pretty bird"...

This movie was Dumb and Dumber funny most of the time, but every now and then would resort to a little bit over the top stupid.