Sad news out of Seaworld Orlando.

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Fri 26, 2010 12:22 pm

Well said mindflipper and Mmeleota!

I say release the whale back into the wild. These huge creatures don't belong in captivity.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Well, I used to always think that about penguins until I saw "The March of the Penguins". After seeing how their lives really suck in the harsh conditions of the South Pole, I though afterwards, "Keep them in captivity! Save them from the South Pole!". :shock: :wink:

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Feb Fri 26, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't like zoos. That goes for Animal Kingdom too. I do go there but I am not interested in seeing the animals. I REALY don't like the circus ether. These animals are suppose to be free.
But the crime has be comitted. Weither the person knew of the danger or not. Also this dang thing has killed before, TWICE.
I watched her mother on the news. She was very glad her daughter died doing what she loved the most. (Drowning??? Being terrified and beaten bloody, in pain dieing.)
I can see her now, talk'n to God. "I was have'n a great time, doing what I love the most. Then the whale KILLED ME "!!!!
I am glad her mother had that peace in her heart.
Me, I would be in jail, with a fish sandwich!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Feb Fri 26, 2010 7:13 pm

ericpabear wrote:PREVENTION !!!
THE PRESERVATION OF HUMAN LIFE!!!!
When did the whales grow lungs and take up arms against us?? I must have missed that one.

Like others have said (no matter how many tricks you can teach them) the whales and other animals in the shows, with the exception of the dog/cat show, as those are mostly domesticated (but even domesticated animals can kill a person), are still wild. Sometimes their wild instincts come back.
ericpabear wrote:Me, I would be in jail, with a fish sandwich!
Hope you like the taste of pure fat. Oh and whales are mammals... Just saying. :roll:
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Fri 26, 2010 7:22 pm

ericpabear wrote:I don't like zoos. That goes for Animal Kingdom too. I do go there but I am not interested in seeing the animals. I REALY don't like the circus ether. These animals are suppose to be free.
But the crime has be comitted. Weither the person knew of the danger or not. Also this dang thing has killed before, TWICE.
I watched her mother on the news. She was very glad her daughter died doing what she loved the most. (Drowning??? Being terrified and beaten bloody, in pain dieing.)
I can see her now, talk'n to God. "I was have'n a great time, doing what I love the most. Then the whale KILLED ME "!!!!
You are just a very angry person. Screaming at people who don't agree with you will not change anyone's mind. It seems you have some issues far beyond this one. We'll pray for you!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Fri 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Here's a tidbit of information that may or may not be well known to people...orcas are not whales. They are the largest breed of dolphin...and yes, they are mammals too, like us.

Also, please do not place all the blame on Tilikum for the accidents he was involved in. Yes, we may never know what made him snap and pull his trainer in the water, but below are the details of the other 2 incidents he was involved in:

Tillikum was first sent to live at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia. There, he lived with two older females named Haida II and Nootka IV. While living in British Columbia, Tilikum sired his first calf when he was about eight or nine years old. His first son, Kyuquot, was born to Haida II on December 24, 1991. Just a few months prior to the birth of Kyuquot, Tilikum was involved in an incident which resulted in the death of a female trainer. The trainer slipped and fell into the tank with the whales. Tilikum, a pregnant Haida II, and Nootka IV grabbed her in their mouths and tossed her to each other, presumably playing. The trainer subsequently drowned. The orcas had never had humans in the water with them before. Haida II and Nootka IV were overprotective of the newborn calf and aggressive towards Tilikum, who was forced into the small medical pool. Because of his huge size, Seaworld requested an emergency transfer to their facility.

Tilikum was at the scene of a death on July 6, 1999, though evidence suggests the Orca may not have been at fault. A 27-year-old man was found floating naked in Tilikum’s pool, apparently killed by a combination of hypothermia and drowning. He had visited SeaWorld the previous day, stayed after the park closed, and evaded security to enter the Orca tank. Investigators determined that the man, either before or after death, had been bitten by Tilikum.

Perhaps these will shed some light into the subject and I hope anyone out there who holds blame on the animal since this was the third incident where he was at the scene, will understand a bit more about the beauty and strength of these animals.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Fri 26, 2010 9:45 pm

It's a wild animal, he didn't asked to be kept in captivity, they are meant to be free. Keeping these large whales in tanks is like a bath tub compared to where they roam. It's a wild animal, they are wired to kill, that is their instinct. They cannot speak to us and tell us what they are feeling. These trainers know the risks they are taking when working with these animals. Killing this animal will solve what?! Will it bring back the woman who lost her life while working with this killer whale? No. It's a sad situation, yes, but killing this animal will solve nothing.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Sat 27, 2010 2:27 am

mindflipper wrote:I would prefer the whale to be released back in the wild than killed. At least it has some chance...
Probably would not be good for the animal. This animal has been raised in captivity and does not fully know how to survive on it's own out in the ocean waters. Unfortunately there are only two options left. Keep it alive or put it to sleep. IF SeaWorld cares so much about the money, just use the whale for breeding and no more performances.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Feb Sat 27, 2010 10:13 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
ericpabear wrote:I don't like zoos. That goes for Animal Kingdom too. I do go there but I am not interested in seeing the animals. I REALY don't like the circus ether. These animals are suppose to be free.
You are just a very angry person. Screaming at people who don't agree with you will not change anyone's mind. It seems you have some issues far beyond this one. We'll pray for you!

I am trying to make a point. I did not mean to SCREAM!
I guess I failed.
Thanks for the prayers. Please continue, I can use all I can get.

And as for your attempt at my character assasination, a quote comes to mind.
Simba: (laughing) You're so weird.
Scar: You have no idea..."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sat 27, 2010 11:31 am

Like the Lion King quote! One of my favs!

Len90: many animals when domesticated do have problems when re-released into the wild. Some animals the survival instinct is basic - just no differently than they can't really be tamed. If re-released in the right environment, where it can join a pod, the basic survival instinct kicks in. Without any of us being marine biologists, its hard for any of us to actually know the odds of it surviving, but compared to outright killing it, being released in the wild sounds like the better option.