I can't say, I did not watch it
20%

Total votes: 15

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

2010 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in Vancouver

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sun 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I was very impressed with Vancouver's opening ceremonies. The show had only one technical glitch at the end with the lighting of the Olympic Torch, but other than that it went off without a hitch. To me, although smaller in scale than Beijing, it was better than Beijing in style and presentation. It used the image projections much similar to Fantasmic (and soon to be World of Color) on the stadium floor. Made even wonder if some ex-Disney talent had a hand in it.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Feb Mon 15, 2010 9:49 am

I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but.....

I do not see the need for performances on the scale of which they are for the opening of the Olympics. The performances themselves were very good. Save for the Canadian national anthem which for some reason they decided should sound like an adult contemporary hit. What is wrong with just singing the national anthem (any anthem) they way it's supposed to be sung?

I just think that all of the pomp and circumstance is unnecessary. That's not to say that there shouldn't be any ceremony. Just perhaps a simpler, shorter than three and half hours, ceremony.

Morningsky
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Morningsky » Feb Mon 15, 2010 10:13 am

I personally loved the opening ceremonies. The snowboarder, (can't remember his name) coming down the mountain into the lit up maple leaf and ending up in the stadium jumping into the olympic rings was amazing! the Canadian national Anthem could have sounded better in my opinion but not bad. Sarah Mclachlan sounded great! The graphics on the floor of the stadium were out of this world and the "mountain with skiiers and snowboarders hanging in fron as well as imaged upon was well well imagined. I don't think it was as large as begiing but i don't think every city needs to be the same or needs to out do each other. Each brings their own thing. I can over look the glitch

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Mon 15, 2010 11:17 am

I was too busy watching the Rangers game and playing video games. I caught the highlights of the ceremony and it seemed really nice. However, tough to see yet another torch lighting technical difficulty.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Mon 15, 2010 11:37 am

I have to agree with kcarts here. I was umimpressed. I don't see why they need to have all the over done drama. They're losing site of what this is about, it's supposed to be about the #1 athletes from all over the world competing against eacother. They should have some type of ceremony but just a bit more simple.

Mamabaminjamin
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Mamabaminjamin » Feb Mon 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Did anyone catch the pre-show on Canada... We swear that some of the scenes came from the O Canada movie???

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Mon 15, 2010 3:27 pm

I always love the opening ceremonies...however, I do agree that they tend to be a bit long (summer always seems worse since there are more countries that participate and the introductions seem to go on forever).
I always like seeing the cultural side of the host country...and perhaps I am even more excited this time because it's the first time I can say "I've been there" for a non-US olympic venue...I loved Vancouver (and Victoria)! :)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Mon 15, 2010 6:20 pm

The opening ceremonies show is suppose to reflect the peoples and culture of the host country. The show is suppose to be for the athletes to welcome them, but has become more commercial and competitive. The worst I had ever seen: Atlanta, 1996. There was so much gospel-type music you that it could have been mistaken for a revival. Ted Turner defended it as it was "representative of the LOCAL culture" - it's suppose to be representative of the NATIONAL culture. However, Altanta's had the cheapest opening ceremonies to date, and even the IOC was upset with it. Atlanta had skimped to put some $$$ in their own pocket. Not surprising, when Atlanta got the Superbowl, they sub-contracted it out to Disney who made it into a Disney infommercial with the Tapestry of Nation Parade from EPCOT and Phil Collins performing songs from Tarzan. IMO: poor form. I was proud of Salt Lake City and Vancouver for taking the time and expense to create an original, innovative and entertaining show about the host country's culture.

As for simpler, I think they could cut down on the speeches. The only problem with these events is that there are so many people who want to have their face time and to give a speech. It seems like those speeches get longer and longer with every Olympics!

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Feb Mon 15, 2010 7:11 pm

I enjoyed them and thought they did a great job. Besides it showed a lot of class, and was nice to see that they didn't even try to make it a competition with China's opening ceremony which to me reaked of "forced participation" or at the very least "strongly encouraged mass participation." I felt so bad for the women that had to dance around the arena during their parade of nations. Canada's had a nice, everyone truly wanted to be there type of feeling and not a showboat feeling.

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Feb Tue 16, 2010 8:03 pm

I liked the Native American part VERY much (I'm Cherokee). It was almost like being at a Pow-Wow. About time someone honored the original inhabitants.

(some of my ancestors came over by ship - the others met them)
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor