Are you a DOCTOR WHO fan?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Fri 16, 2010 10:28 am

The fifth season of the new series of DOCTOR WHO - starring the 11th actor in the role, Matt Smith - begins in the United States on BBC America on Saturday night, 04/17/2010 at 9 PM. The first episode is titled "The Eleventh Hour" and has the Doctor, just after crash-landing the TARDIS and post-regeneration, having 20 minutes to save the Earth from an alien threat of extermination.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Fri 16, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the update!! Gonna have to watch it!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Fri 16, 2010 3:30 pm

I will have to catch up to this show hopefully next week or next month. I've heard that the new Doctor is pretty good.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Apr Fri 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Do you think a non-watcher could get into it if he starts with tomorrow nights show? Or would he be totally lost?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Apr Fri 16, 2010 5:11 pm

I think you will be able to get into watching for a first time. I know there aren't many here who've have watched it from the originals of the 1960's and they're handling it.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Fri 16, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm one of those that hasn't watched the originals but I did start off watching the first series/season of the new series.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Fri 16, 2010 10:47 pm

NaCler wrote:Do you think a non-watcher could get into it if he starts with tomorrow nights show? Or would he be totally lost?
Actually, at 8 PM on BBC America that night they are having a special about Doctor Who that may help you get some background on the show.

Here's a quick summary: the Doctor is a time traveler. His time machine is multi-dimensional, and its appearance in our dimension appears to be a blue police box that used to be around the UK back in the 1960's - 1970's. It is called the TARDIS - an acronym for Time And Relative Dimension in Space. The TARDIS's outer appearance is suppose to transform to adapt to local environment, except the Doctor's TARDIS has malfunctioning circuit that keeps it perpetually in the form of that blue police box. The Doctor comes from an ancient race of bicardiac humanoids known as the Time Lords from Gallifrey. His people got into a never-ending war with killer robotic-like race called the Daleks. To save the rest of the universe from the Time War, the Doctor sealed the entire war in a Time Lock, folding the war into its own time-space continuum separate from the rest of the universe. When a Time Lord gets seriously injured, he has the ability the regenerate, a method of survival by having the entire body transform into an entirely new body. The Doctor travels through Time and Space, usually with a companion, and gets involved in some dangerous situations.

Did I forget anything?

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Apr Sun 18, 2010 7:15 am

Rats! :( I just found out my cable doesn't get BBC America. I had been watching it on the SyFy channel during the earlier seasons.

Can one of you swing by in the TARDIS and pick me up :wink:
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Sun 18, 2010 10:36 am

I know with COMCAST up here those who do not get the BBC America (because they do not have the extended cable package) can still watch on the COMCAST "On Demand" system. I have a friend who watched all the 2009 DW Specials that BBC America aired by watching it with ON DEMAND. Do you have ON DEMAND? If so, check it out.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Sun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah, I was out last night after 9pm so I missed the catch-up show and the premiere, so I'll have to do the On Demand thing.

Mindflipper - Thanks for the quick synopsis. Sounds like something I could get into.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Apr Sun 18, 2010 3:04 pm

I started watching some more of series two last night and I hope to finish the entire series by tonight.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Well, if you watched BBC America tonight, you got to see the Doctor and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill battle some rag-tag remnants of the Daleks in "The Victory of the Daleks". If you missed, it will repeat before the next new episode of Doctor Who next Saturday. A new race of Daleks are created, and we can probably expect them to pop up again!

Next Saturday sees the first episode of a two-part story bringing back two things from previous Doctor Who seasons: from season 2 episode "Blink", the stone statue angels are back and with a vengeance; and from season 4 "Silence in the Library" and the "Forests of the Dead", Professor River Song. Definitely worth watching!

Also coming up this season: vampires in Venice and the return of the reptilian adversaries previously seen in the "Warriors of the Deep" from Peter Davision's era of the Doctor - The Silurians - in another two-part story.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 08, 2010 12:35 pm

For those watching BBC America tonight: those pesky Weeping Angels return from the second season "Blink" episode! Yes, they may look like ordinary stone statues, but that's just because you're looking! And while keeping an eye on them might save you - just don't blink! - the image of them may be more lethal than you think....

For those watching BBC 1 in the UK: Doctor and his traveling companions end up in Venice but run afoul vampires in the city. How has venice become infested with vampires? Find out tonight...

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Sat 08, 2010 2:18 pm

I finished watching series two but now I'm going to start series one of Torchwood. I saw about fifteen minutes of the first episode and I already don't like Gwen.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 08, 2010 3:02 pm

TG! Now I know I'm not the only Anti-Gwen TW watcher! She's not one of my favorites. Also, did you know the same actress starred in the first series of Doctor Who in the third episode set in Cardiff, Wales, Christmas 1865? She played a maid working at a funeral parlor named Gwyneth (hmmmm, name sounds similar to Gwen...). It was the episode where Doctor and Rose meets Charles Dickens.