LOST final season.

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: LOST final season.

Post by MW1218 » May Mon 24, 2010 8:14 am

99Soulz wrote:The entire show was the afterlife, as most of us probably expected from the first season but then started believing in the story that they were part of this island-protect campaign. They were all dead from the first plane crash. I really like how they ended it.

I just hope when its my time to go I don't have to face a polar bear on a tropical island! I guess he had unresolved issues to deal with too!
Wrong, Wrong WRONG. The only thing that was the afterlife were the sideways flashes, beginning from the Season 6 premiere. As Christian Shepard himself said, "The time you spent with these people was the most important time in your life." So whenever someone from the island died, they wound up in the 'sideways flashes.'

So, when Boone died in Season 1? He showed up and experienced the sideways reality. When Ben strangled Locke? Locke began his afterlife in the plane, and everything we saw in Season 6 commenced from there. Everything that happened on the island was real. Whether the person died on the island, or long after, they all eventually found themselves in that church, aware of everything that had happened to them.

So, what we saw at the beginning of Season 6....Jack on the plane, with the island underwater, and everything that happened afterward, with the reuniting of all the passengers would have happened to his soul immediately after he closed his eyes and died in the bamboo field. And everyone's soul from the flight, after their eventual death, regardless of whether it was on the island or not, would have experienced the sideways reality and eventually gotten reunited with everyone at the church.
Last edited by MW1218 on May Mon 24, 2010 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » May Mon 24, 2010 8:16 am

NaCler wrote: That's what I got from the finale also. They all died with the intial plane crash, but the island and everything afterwards was just their souls in "purgatory" waiting until they were ready to give up the lives they would never have. I thought that's why the final shot was the original plane wreckage with no one alive. However, I was a casual fan as I caught episodes every now and then, so, several times I was completely LOST. :wink:
If nobody had survived the plane crash, why were their footprints in the sand? They showed us the wreckage with the footprints and the camps made up to SHOW US that everything that happened on the island was real.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » May Mon 24, 2010 8:52 am

MW1218 wrote:If nobody had survived the plane crash, why were their footprints in the sand? They showed us the wreckage with the footprints and the camps made up to SHOW US that everything that happened on the island was real.
Sorry... I didn't notice the footprints or the camps. I just saw wreckage, sorry. Like I said, I was a casual fan so take my comments with a grain of salt... or should I say sand???

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 24, 2010 9:24 am

MW1218 wrote:
99Soulz wrote:The entire show was the afterlife, as most of us probably expected from the first season but then started believing in the story that they were part of this island-protect campaign. They were all dead from the first plane crash. I really like how they ended it.

I just hope when its my time to go I don't have to face a polar bear on a tropical island! I guess he had unresolved issues to deal with too!
Wrong, Wrong WRONG. The only thing that was the afterlife were the sideways flashes, beginning from the Season 6 premiere. As Christian Shepard himself said, "The time you spent with these people was the most important time in your life." So whenever someone from the island died, they wound up in the 'sideways flashes.'

So, when Boone died in Season 1? He showed up and experienced the sideways reality. When Ben strangled Locke? Locke began his afterlife in the plane, and everything we saw in Season 6 commenced from there. Everything that happened on the island was real. Whether the person died on the island, or long after, they all eventually found themselves in that church, aware of everything that had happened to them.

So, what we saw at the beginning of Season 6....Jack on the plane, with the island underwater, and everything that happened afterward, with the reuniting of all the passengers would have happened to his soul immediately after he closed his eyes and died in the bamboo field. And everyone's soul from the flight, after their eventual death, regardless of whether it was on the island or not, would have experienced the sideways reality and eventually gotten reunited with everyone at the church.
Yep, MW1218, I think you've nailed on the head. I said the same thing earlier: the sideways/alternate reality was the afterlife and the island was real life. Got this bit of dialogue from a news website:

"I don't understand," says Jack. "You died."

"Yes, I did."

"Then how are you here right now?"

"How are YOU here?" his father (John Terry) replies.

"I died, too," says Jack, beginning to weep.

"That's OK, son."

And yet it's all real, his father assures him.

"Everything that's ever happened to you is real. All those people in the church, they're all real, too."

"They're all dead?" Jack asks.

"Everyone dies sometime, kiddo," his father replies gently.

Christian Shepherd exlplained it all to Jack. Island was life, Sideways was the afterlife. The church was reunion of the souls crossing into heaven.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » May Mon 24, 2010 9:39 am

The key line in that scene is "Some of them died before you, some died after you."

Everyone heard "They're all dead?" and "Everybody dies sometimes kiddo," and immediately rushed to the conclusion "THEY ALL DIED ON THE PLANE, LAME," but that's not what happened at all.

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » May Mon 24, 2010 9:40 am

I loved it. I was completely satisfied and here's my take on things:

First of all, last night's episode reminded me of the Lord of the Rings. The main story ended, but there were loose ends that end up being tied up. The ring is destroyed, Frodo, Gandalf, etc move on to the gray havens, Sam, Merry, and Pippen live the rest of his life before moving on == Jack fullfills his destiny, moves on, while Kate, Sawyer, Faraday, Claire, Alpert, etc. live longer in the real world until moving on, and Hurley & Ben have a long and good rule of the island, as did Sam and the Shire.

The island was real. Everything we've been told about it this season is real. It's a literal and metaphorical cork keeping darkness (a.k.a. Smokey) at bay. The survivors ended the struggle to defeat Smokey, which has been attempted for a long, long time, many iterations. "Mother" attempted, and failed. The protector before her failed. The protector before that failed, etc.

Jacob, on the other hand, figured something out. He carefully set up the playing board, put the pieces into play exactly where he wanted them, but then let free will do the rest. His belief in free will was the ace up his sleeve. These actions eventually lead Jack and Desmond to end the cycle.

They do this by "uncorking" the island, killing smokey, then putting the "cork" back in. They found a loophole that was only possible by making sacrifices to save each other. Each death pushed the game on further, letting it live on.

The Island was all a big test that people have been trying to pass over and over for thousand and thousands of years. They came, they fought, they corrupted. They eventually failed, died, and the leader had to pass the island to the next person. But, each iteration made progress, although they eventually failed. These failed souls became this whispers, wishing to help each new generation progress a little more.

The 815ers were the first ones to pass the test . The choices they made build what would become the alternate timeline. Their reward was being fixed from the lonely, broken people they were before. Before Jacob saved them, they were destined to die alone. But, because of him, they were able to die together.

When these souls were satisfied on a personal level, they were allowed to move on if they made good choices in their life. Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliette, Hurley and Libby, etc. found each other, so they were ready to move on. Ben, for example, still had a future life with Danielle and Alex. Michael wants to watch Walt grow up before moving on. Use your imagination. The writers left this open for you to interpret in a way that satisfies you.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Mon 24, 2010 10:27 am

I like how many people can watch the same show and have so many different opinions on what they think happened. That's the beauty of tv shows as they spark everyone's imagination differently. Lame or not. :wink:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 24, 2010 12:23 pm

At least they gave it an ending, instead of leaving it dangling for a "LOST spin-off", "LOST theatrical release movie" or even maybe "LOST direct-to-DVD movies" (like other series have done in the past - yes, I'm pointing my fingers at the X-files!)

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » May Mon 24, 2010 1:10 pm

NaCler wrote:I like how many people can watch the same show and have so many different opinions on what they think happened. That's the beauty of tv shows as they spark everyone's imagination differently. Lame or not. :wink:

Very true - and one of the reasons why the show was such a big hit. The producers said they were going to purposely leave it a little open-ended to interpretation since that's what drives the following.

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » May Mon 24, 2010 1:51 pm

After letting the finale sink in some, I have less issues with it then I did last night. I also think the writers pushing the fact they were going to "answer" all the questions let to some people looking for clear definitive answers, that weren't there. I think it was best to leave some of the ending a mystery and leave some questions for interpretation. Life is not clear cut and always easy explained. I think now I need to watch it all again from the beginning :)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Mon 24, 2010 2:15 pm

rdeacon - Yeah, I've never seen a show so complex that they had to do a 2 hour recap/explanation show BEFORE doing a 2.5 hour FINALE. Much is open to interpretation.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Mon 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Anyone get a chance to watch the three alternate endings they showed on Jimmy Kimmel last night?

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » May Mon 24, 2010 3:51 pm

elizabethswann wrote:Anyone get a chance to watch the three alternate endings they showed on Jimmy Kimmel last night?
They were just jokes, ripoffs of the Newhart ending, Sopranos ending, and one more.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » May Mon 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I was very impressed with the show and everything it gave us over the last 6 seasons - there was a short period where it lost (HAHA) me around season 4 as it wasn't keeping me on my seat as much but then it kicked back into gear for me in season 5.

It's a shame its over, but I guess it had to end sometime. I don't usually get wrapped up into a show - tend to watch for entertainment purposes only but this one really made you care for the characters and root them on. It will surely be missed.

Series finale for 24 tonight and that has been a must watch series for us too, but that one jumped the shark a few seasons ago IMHO.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Mon 24, 2010 5:30 pm

99Soulz wrote:Series finale for 24 tonight and that has been a must watch series for us too, but that one jumped the shark a few seasons ago IMHO.
Are you going to be taping it since your Flyers are on the doorstep tonight :?: :?: :?: