No
77%

Total votes: 13

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Spring Training

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:10 pm

I know it's the middle of January, but Spring Training is right around the corner! I always get excited for the football playoffs because I know baseball will be here soon!

So, as a curious question out there...any subsonic members planning on attending any Spring Training games?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 19, 2010 12:35 am

I would love to one year attend the spring training down in Florida, but school just seems to never allow that.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 19, 2010 9:38 am

Tests, projects, reading, writing papers, studying - just who does that college think it is for interfering with spring training?!? :x

That was sarcasm of course :wink:

And you know, Len90, you think "I can do that AFTER college", right? But then you're working 40+ hours 5 days a week in a full-time salaried job and trying to find the time seems impossible... :? :(

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Jan Tue 19, 2010 11:25 am

I would love to go see my beloved White Sox in Arizona, but like mindflipper says just not enough time.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 19, 2010 11:50 am

Amen, Boilerdude! Yeh, I used to think in college - "when I get out of college, I will finally be able to go see the games and to travel" - Wow! Did that never happen! There's always some urgent fire burning that needs to be put out...

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Jan Tue 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Also, taking a vacation to somewhere would take away from Disney time.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Welcome back boilerdude!!!! We sure missed you around here!

I know what you mean about finding time to go places. For us, we like taking 3 or 4 day weekends and do small trips. I can't stand being stagnant too long. (and if I'm away too long I'll never recover!)

As far as spring training goes, the first time we actually went was in 2006. Since it only an hour plane ride (or 5ish hour drive) to Phoenix, we thought it would be fun to check it out. What a blast! Got tons of autographs and even got to talk with Jim Abbott! Definitely recommended for any baseball fan!

We went last year for a 4-day weekend, and we'll be going again this year for a 4-day weekend. We'll be checking out the Angels vs. Cubs game for sure! (nothing says I love you like some good ol' team rivalry, right?) We aren't sure of the other games we're going to see yet, but it will be a blast no matter what!!!!

Mindflipper, you're not that far away...is there a 3-day weekend in your future??? :wink:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 19, 2010 1:49 pm

mindflipper wrote: And you know, Len90, you think "I can do that AFTER college", right? But then you're working 40+ hours 5 days a week in a full-time salaried job and trying to find the time seems impossible... :? :(
You are correct. I have realized that and in order to get to spring training would require the use of vacation time... which would be all put away for WDW vacations. So, I guess seeing it in person will something that is put away for when I retire... if I am ever able to be a reitred person.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Geez, Len90, don't write yourself off just yet - you got a loooong life to get through before retirement. Anyway, you could schedule your WDW trip during Spring Training. :idea:

MmeLeota: yes, I live near, but opportunity is another thing. It always seemed there are events at work that prevent taking the time off. :evil: :x Curses!

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Jan Tue 19, 2010 4:19 pm

We like to try to take a small vacation, the past year we went to Mackinac Island for a few days. We did not know we were going to Disney again when we went to Mackinac. We would like to go other places but that blasted mouse keeps calling. It’s like being on meth, need more mouse, need more mouse.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 19, 2010 5:06 pm

That's why WDW actually stands for "Withdrawal from Disney World". It's very addictive...

Mackinac Island sounds like a good trip! Afterwards; especially If you already had your Diz fix first... :wink:

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jan Tue 19, 2010 5:28 pm

No Spring Training here. Just have to wait for the real games. Opening night at Fenway v. the World Champs.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 19, 2010 5:42 pm

I have always wanted to go to Mackinac Island! I bet it was beautiful!

We just came off a 2 year absence from the parks. In September when we went to the D23 Expo, we got the twilight ticket for conventioneers to go to one of the parks after 4pm. Then in October, we went for 2 days on an impromptu trip with a friend.

It's just that there are so many places we want to visit, but it always seems like we end up at Disney (there's nothing wrong with that btw). So we're trying to balance it out more.

One of these days though, we'd like to make it to WDW again. It's been 7 years since we've been.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Tue 19, 2010 6:09 pm

I keep trying to talk my DW into going to WDW in March...I'm a BRAVES FAN!! It works for everybody!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 19, 2010 7:41 pm

That would definitely work for everybody! I hope you can talk her into it one of these days! I don't know what the atmosphere is like in Florida, but I just love going to AZ!

I guess since I grew up going to a minor league park, I hold a special place for them. Small. Intimate. Fun! We would even get what we call Big League weekend. It's when 2 or more major league teams come to town for a couple of exhibition games. I remember seeing the Mariners and Blue Jays battle it out one year. It was one of Griffey's first years in the majors. I was hooked!

Now getting to go to the actual spring training site is even better! You get to take pics with different players and collect autographs..oh yeah, and watch some great baseball!