Shopping on Christmas Eve

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Do you go out shopping on Christmas Eve?

Yes - I go out to get a couple last minute gifts.
35%
Yes - I don't even start shopping until Christmas Eve!
6%
No Way - I stay clear from all malls, stores, and nuts on the road!
59%

Total votes: 17

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Shopping on Christmas Eve

Post by 99Soulz » Dec Wed 23, 2009 10:48 am

As we wind down on the amount of time left for shopping, I thought I'd throw this out there for everyone. I personally love going out shopping on Christmas Eve. I usually take the day off and go out first thing. Surprisingly enough, it is very quiet early in the morning up until around noon.

My brothers and I started a tradition about 10 years ago that we would meet up at the local Starbucks, grab a bite and some coffee and talk about any last minute gifts any of us need to get - then we head out. The tradition still goes today. My nephew joined us a couple years ago and thinks its one if his favorite things about Christmas, just hanging out with his dad and uncles and having fun. I was thinking of adding to it this year with bringing my 4 year old with us but think she's still too young. Maybe next year I'll start a new tradition and bring her and my other daughter along - "daddy's day out with the daughters" as Walt once said.

So, anyone else go out as well or have traditions to share?

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Dec Wed 23, 2009 11:24 am

I've totally gone out shopping on Christmas Eve or the Christmas Eve Eve (23rd) for the past 2 or 3 years now.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Having worked in a grocery store as a teenager on Christmas Eve - I've learned its the place to stay away from on Xmas Eve! Get everything done by 23rd (and its pretty bad on the 23rd!)... :shock:

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Wed 23, 2009 3:14 pm

I did my shopping yesterday and thankfully it wasn't TOO bad. I could never do Christmas Eve though. It would horribly scar me.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Wed 23, 2009 4:44 pm

We eat all seafood Christmas Eve. It's about 9 hours of cooking and 1 hour eating. Also we go to midnight mas, it's something I've done since I was a kid.

Here is a picture or two of one of our Christmas trees.

It was so much fun to decorate!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Wed 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Where's the angel!? Or star!?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Thu 24, 2009 12:02 am

I think he needs a tree topper Jacca! :D

I like to steer clear of the holiday maddness at the mall! We do low key and token gifts for Christmas. To each their own, but we like hang on to the true meaning of Christmas. For me, being with my loved ones is what matters the most and good health. Gifts are the added bonus. I enjoy Midnight Mass with my family and all of the traditional Slovak food we eat. It means alot to me.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Dec Thu 24, 2009 1:09 am

lol that's funny!

I sometimes go out for last minute presents while dinner is being made and stuff
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

timekeeper

Post by timekeeper » Dec Mon 28, 2009 1:21 pm

I go out at lunch on Christmas Eve to grab the last minute food item I forgot about bringing to dinner. Then on Christmas Eve on the way to the in laws we stop at a gas station to pickup the dirty bingo gifts we forgot to buy earlier. Good thing all gas stations have lotto tickets!

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Jan Mon 18, 2010 1:27 pm

My wife's family usually has a big Christmas Eve gathering every year and we always forget something. We'd buy something in the city and then jump on the New Jersey Transit at Penn Station. Christmas Eve in Manhattan is CRAZY!
Image Image

Leigh
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Leigh » Mar Mon 29, 2010 8:58 am

I went out this past Christmas Eve day to pick up a few last minute items and I made the mistake of going to Walmart where almost all the staff was miserable. I guess I would be miserable also working Christmas Eve, but I still wouldn't be nasty to people.

I would go out again, just not to Walmart.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 29, 2010 9:01 am

hmm I can't believe I never replied to this thread. I personally love going out to the mall on Christmas Eve. It is great to see everybody franticly shopping and running around to get that last minute gift. I also like seeing what good last minute, end of season sales the stores have. However, it does not compare at all to Black Friday IMO. Black Friday is the craziest and most amazing shopping day EVER.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Mon 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Nope, I'm usually too busy (we have 3 church services and my in-laws' traditional dinner to deal with) to even think about going shopping Christmas Eve.

Black Friday? Heck yeah...it's a tradition in our family (but we don't go anywhere near walmart....we're not that crazy!).

BTW, I love your "tree" Jacca, but I think it needs some tinsel! :wink: