Homes Decorated for Christmas

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Homes Decorated for Christmas

Post by mindflipper » Dec Sun 06, 2009 10:13 pm

I know Subsonic had a topic thread for homes decorated for Halloween, and I couldn't find one already for Christmas, so I have created a topic for homes decorated for Christmas. Everyone feel free to post pics of their homes.

I'll start with my own:

Yes, the standard Christmas lighting decorations, but that's the front of my house. There is the side of my house separated by the driveway - and that's where I got creative:

Twas the Nightmare before Christmas, and all through the house,
Not a creature was peaceful, not even a mouse.
The stockings all hung by the chimney with care,
When opened that morning would cause such a scare.
The children all nestled snug in their beds
Would have nightmares of monsters and skeleton heads1

Even Oogie-Boogie is present for the Christmas season!

A man-eating plant makes a wonderful wreath,
As long as you don't get caught in its teeth!

Jack Skellington came here from Halloweentown.
You'll notice his handiwork scattered around.

My newly restored Spider Clock (repaired from wind damage from last year) countdowns the days to Hallow...I mean, Christmas. The clock is based on the Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland.

And even Jack Skellington - or should I say, Sandy Claws - lights up in the night.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Sun 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Wow very nice. Glad to see you tied in a Disney reference in your decorating.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 07, 2009 12:18 am

The light display is actually based on the Haunted Mansion Holiday, not the Nightmare Before Christmas. What I did not take photos of were six wreath-rimmed panels which tell a basic story. It's a modified version of the narration of HMH. The picture images are all from the HMH and TDL's version, HMHN. And some times I hook up the audio from HMH as well.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Dec Mon 07, 2009 9:00 am

Wow, that's awesome mindflipper. Did you create those decorations or can you find them in a store?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Dec Mon 07, 2009 10:00 am

That is TOO COOL, I love it. You are certainly "making Christmas". :D

wdwannabe
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by wdwannabe » Dec Mon 07, 2009 10:09 am

Wow! All I have is a wreath on my front window.

Very nice mindflipper! A++++
First Family Visit
POP Century - September 2006

Second Family Visit
2013 Fall/Winter-Christmas

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 07, 2009 10:10 am

agingerbugg wrote:Did you create those decorations or can you find them in a store?

Oogie I got from the Disney store on-line, as well as two small plastic pumpkins with Jack's face. Neither are available anymore at the Disney Store. I got them some time ago, but I bought them for 50% or more off after Halloween. Other items too I purchased for 50% after Halloween (after all, I'm using for it for Christmas). Other items I made by hand: Jack (his body, his head is a plastic table lamp sold in Japan), the man-eating plant wreath, the story panel displays (not pictured), and the Spider Clock (the countdown clock). This year I had to build the clock again as it got badly damaged last year from a wind storm. The new clock is build with additional support and the ability to be secure down with larger stakes. Next year I would like to add Jack's sleigh and maybe zero (only if I can figure out how to make one that will light up).

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Mon 07, 2009 10:25 am

WOW! Very impressive mindflipper!!! 8-)

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Dec Mon 07, 2009 11:37 am

mindflipper wrote: Next year I would like to add Jack's sleigh and maybe zero (only if I can figure out how to make one that will light up).
For Zero, you could use Phosphorescent paint and a black light. It would give him that eerie glow that is always good for christmas.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Before I started with the HMH display, we never decorated that side yard because of one problem - the street light. I have a street light right there between my yard and the next. Bright enough to read by - which gave me the idea of the story panels in the first place, and from that the whole HMH idea came alive. Black light won't work over there because it can't get dark enough.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 07, 2009 12:09 pm

wdwannabe wrote:All I have is a wreath on my front window.
Hey, why don't you add two glowing yellow eyes and some teeth? To make the eyes for mine I used two yellow plastic easter eggs, glued it shut, carefully cut a hole large enough for the C7 light bulbs (same kind that come in the plastic pumpkins at halloween) - and voila! - two glowing yellow eyes. Won't your neighbors enjoy watching a wreath that's watching them back! :wink:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 09, 2009 11:03 pm

This photo was sent to me in an e-mail and I had to post in this thread:

The man hanging there in distress is not real. It's a dummy. A fake. But so many people called 911 or tried to rescue the dummy that the police forced the man to take it down as a Christmas decoration. But to me it's so funny and so original - it has to be appreciated!!

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Dec Thu 10, 2009 2:10 am

lmao that is so funny with the dummy hanging from the roof!!!!! Wow I would love to do that. Mindflipper, where did you get the nightmare before christmas clock??
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Dec Thu 10, 2009 9:15 am

Mindflipper awesome Christmas decos!!! You would win 1st place if they did a street decorating contest :D
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Thu 10, 2009 9:57 am

MetalRage wrote:where did you get the nightmare before christmas clock??
Not available for purchase, it was built by me. It's built from a halloween candy bowl, a chip & dip tupperware tray, BBQ spit motor, a wreath painted black, 4 christmas ornaments, 4 C7 light "candles", a string of C9 20 yellow lights, yards of PVC pipe and PVC fixtures. The numbers counting down the days are the numbers you buy to attach to houses to display your street address. The face of the clock was created in MS Powerpoint, printed at KINKO's, and then heavily laminated. The first face used the same font as the HMH clock in DL, but it was hard to read by some, so it switched to the font used by DL when branding the HM. That made it easier to read.