Too early for Christmas carols!

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sun 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Jacca5660 wrote: It's about the birth of Christ!!
Yeh, well, Madison Avenue thought he was getting in the way of the whole commericalistic aspect, so they've been trying to take him out of the equation for several years now. He ruins the whole "X-mas Atmos". I think he is classified now is an "optional add-on" nowadays. :wink:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Nov Mon 09, 2009 12:35 am

mindflipper wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote: It's about the birth of Christ!!
Yeh, well, Madison Avenue thought he was getting in the way of the whole commericalistic aspect, so they've been trying to take him out of the equation for several years now. He ruins the whole "X-mas Atmos". I think he is classified now is an "optional add-on" nowadays. :wink:
lol mindflipper...

Jacca's right though...Jesus is the reason for the season. I hate that I am not allowed to wish people a Merry Christmas or I get strange looks if I have a nativity scene on my desk. So frustrating!

Now, as for the question posed about Christmas carols....no Christmas music til after T-day for me. I don't even want to think about it. By the time we get to Christmas I'm ready to claw out my ears because I'm so sick of the same songs over and over.

If I see things throught the year, I will pick up gifts here and there. But it was always a family tradition to go out Black Friday morning to shop/get the free stuff offered (when that actually happened) then be home by 10am, have a turkey sandwich and decorate the house for Christmas. Nowadays, mom and I go shopping and then go to IHOP for pumpkin pancakes (but you won't find us at such places as Wal-mart or Best Buy...waaaay too crowded).

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 09, 2009 10:27 am

I always wish people a "Merry Christmas". I'm tired of being told "don't offend anyone". What about me being offended??? I get offended when I'm told "Happy Holidays". We celebrate the real meaning of Christmas! I will say Merry Christmas! O.k. I'll get off of my soap box now!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 09, 2009 10:32 am

When I was teenager many, many years ago, I worked part-time at a grocery chain store. During the "holiday season", they would hang banners such as "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Kwanza", "Feliz Navidad", and..."Season's Greetings". But NEVER "Merry Christmas". It was okay to have Hannukah and Kwanza, but the only Christmas items were "Feliz Navidad" items and we did not have a large hispanic customer base. And over the years, more and more stores have done the same. If you're going to acknowledge one religion, then it's only fair to acknowledge them ALL.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 09, 2009 11:28 am

I agree mindflipper!!!! That's what I was trying to say!

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Nov Mon 09, 2009 12:12 pm

yeah i agree. I say merry Christmas, god bless, and all that. I don't care. It's my religion so why should I be in the dark about it?! :evil:
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Believe it or not, that's not been Disney's policy in the past - back in Nov. 2002 when I went to Disneyland, a CM confessed that they were not allowed to wish guests "Merry Christmas". It was "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings." Even the Small World Holiday - which has banners with international ways of saying "Merry Christmas" such Feliz Navidad, Joyuex Noel, and Bon Natale - did NOT have the words "Merry Christmas" anywhere in the ride! Which made the Haunted Mansion Holiday quite unique by bucking this policy: not only did they use the word once in the stretching room ("Twas the Nightmare before Christmas, and all through the house..."), but used it more than dozen times more throughout the entire ride! :roll:

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Nov Mon 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Yup, I say Merry Christmas too! :mrgreen: No happy holidays for me. Even my Jewish friends are not offended when you wish them a Merry Christmas.

As for the Christmas carols, yup, I'm ready to claw my ears out already. If people wouldn't think I was a complete knucklehead, I'd probably wear those noise canceling earphones to the store...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Nov Mon 09, 2009 2:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:When I was teenager many, many years ago, I worked part-time at a grocery chain store. During the "holiday season", they would hang banners such as "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Kwanza", "Feliz Navidad", and..."Season's Greetings". But NEVER "Merry Christmas". It was okay to have Hannukah and Kwanza, but the only Christmas items were "Feliz Navidad" items and we did not have a large hispanic customer base. And over the years, more and more stores have done the same. If you're going to acknowledge one religion, then it's only fair to acknowledge them ALL.
I totally agree! You said it wel!

As far as the CM's not being able to say Merry Christmas, I'm not surprised at all...when I worked in a theme park, it was the same standard. That was when I was brainwashed to say happy holidays. I'm finally breaking that habit and I have started saying Merry Christmas again in recent years...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I wish everybody Merry Christmas!! I'm not sorry if you're offended!! I make no apologies! It's a holiday where we celebrate the birth of the SAVIOR! I will wish you a merry Christmas! I will pray for you! I will send blessing your way! SUE ME!!

Having grown up in New York I was taught to respect other people traditions and holidays. I feel most people respect ours. I'm not buying into this PC crap!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Mon 09, 2009 4:59 pm

hockeygirl wrote:Yup, I say Merry Christmas too! :mrgreen: No happy holidays for me. Even my Jewish friends are not offended when you wish them a Merry Christmas.

As for the Christmas carols, yup, I'm ready to claw my ears out already. If people wouldn't think I was a complete knucklehead, I'd probably wear those noise canceling earphones to the store...
I have started to use Happy Holidays since I used to tell everybody Happy Hanukkah thinking that everybody was celebrating the same holiday I was celebrating. I think Happy Holidays is a good way to just be polite. Singling out a holiday might be taken as rude by some people. I for one don't care.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 09, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm always saying Merry Christmas even if I'm not much of a Christmas person. Now, when you talk about St. Patrick's Day then you come talk to me.

I think from now on I'll be saying Happy Holidays since I have a few friends that don't celebrate the holidays like that.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Len90 wrote: I think Happy Holidays is a good way to just be polite. Singling out a holiday might be taken as rude by some people.
Just to give you an idea of how thoughtless some people can be about the holidays:

Year before last, my employer at the management Christmas party handed out as "parting gifts" a Christmas ornament with the company logo on it. However, not to offend those who don't celebrate Christmas, the ornament said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". How boneheaded! If you truely did not want to offend anyone who didn't celebrate Christmas, then why give them a Christmas ornament in the first place? Why not travel coffee mug with the company logo instead? Or a pen set maybe? So many other ways they could have done it...but they chose a Christmas ornament and thought putting "Happy Holidays" made it okay to those who didn't celebrate Christmas! D'oh!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I do have many jewish friends and work colleagues, so I make sure not to say "Merry Christmas" but "Happy Hanukkah" instead. Although, if I meet anyone on the street in front of my house between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm more likely to say "Scary Christmas, and a haunted New Year!" :twisted: :wink:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 09, 2009 7:46 pm

I have Jewish friends, I have no problem I.E. I'm not offended at all if they wish me a Happy Hanukkah. If it's what you celebrate, then say it! ;+>
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Len90 wrote: I used to tell everybody Happy Hanukkah thinking that everybody was celebrating the same holiday I was celebrating.
If you want, you can wish me "Happy Hanukkah" and I would not be offended. Actually, it's happened to me most of life - for presumptious reasons I have been mistaken to be Jewish by people who are Jewish and who are not. There have been people who have been shocked to find out that I celebrate Christmas. :wink: