Windows 7

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Oct Tue 27, 2009 11:17 am

I'm testing Win7 on one of my spare office PCs. It's an older system with a single-core CPU and only 1GB of RAM, yet it runs Windows 7 as fast as my home system with a dual-core CPU and 3GB of RAM runs Vista, and that's with all the transparency stuff turned on. Aside from some expected compatibility problems with a few antiquated web-based apps here at work that only work with IE6, I haven't had any issues with it.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 27, 2009 11:33 am

Hmmm, teaches the value of patience, doesn't it? However, I do love the new Mac ads out about the PC guy saying "Any my new operation system doesn't have any of the bugs my old system had. Trust me." I know the ad is sarcastic humor, but it is spot-on for those of us who been through the whole upgrade hells of the past...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Tue 27, 2009 11:37 am

mindflipper wrote:Hmmm, teaches the value of patience, doesn't it? However, I do love the new Mac ads out about the PC guy saying "Any my new operation system doesn't have any of the bugs my old system had. Trust me." I know the ad is sarcastic humor, but it is spot-on for those of us who been through the whole upgrade hells of the past...
They always have great ads. I personally have been playing around with it while at some stores and I really don't find myself liking it. I just see it as Vista getting a facelift to look more like Mac. Even though I do get a discounted upgrade, I am still going to hold off. Upgrading right away to Snow Leopard was not the smartest move since there were compatibility and heat related issues. All were fixed within 2 weeks of the release. They will all have their glitches when coming out. It's just having to wait until all the patches and updates make it sound for all.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Len90 wrote: They always have great ads. I personally have been playing around with it while at some stores and I really don't find myself liking it. I just see it as Vista getting a facelift to look more like Mac. Even though I do get a discounted upgrade, I am still going to hold off. Upgrading right away to Snow Leopard was not the smartest move since there were compatibility and heat related issues. All were fixed within 2 weeks of the release. They will all have their glitches when coming out. It's just having to wait until all the patches and updates make it sound for all.
Hey, Len, I saw a photo one time when reading through the trip postings that reminded me of those Mac ads and after little searching I found it. The guy on the left is PC, and you can see he's not too happy about the Windows 7 upgrade, but the guy on the right - Mac - he's quite happy as he doesn't run on Windows 7. Do you think Apple would use it for an ad? :lol: :wink:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Tue 27, 2009 5:57 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote: They always have great ads. I personally have been playing around with it while at some stores and I really don't find myself liking it. I just see it as Vista getting a facelift to look more like Mac. Even though I do get a discounted upgrade, I am still going to hold off. Upgrading right away to Snow Leopard was not the smartest move since there were compatibility and heat related issues. All were fixed within 2 weeks of the release. They will all have their glitches when coming out. It's just having to wait until all the patches and updates make it sound for all.
Hey, Len, I saw a photo one time when reading through the trip postings that reminded me of those Mac ads and after little searching I found it. The guy on the left is PC, and you can see he's not too happy about the Windows 7 upgrade, but the guy on the right - Mac - he's quite happy as he doesn't run on Windows 7. Do you think Apple would use it for an ad? :lol: :wink:

I highly doubt that. However, great job in digging that one up. That would be my cousin over at Prime Time and I. Ahh the memories that it brings up.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 27, 2009 10:51 pm

That is too funny!!!! I love it! :lol:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Oct Wed 28, 2009 8:13 am

Jacca5660 wrote:I love the comments after the article. It leaves the open question of how many Microsoft plants are out there? Like I said earlier, I wait a couple of years to see how Windows 7 is working out. Don't believe the hype, be careful with any new OS.
I like how Microsoft is trying to sound "hip" with their instructions. It just comes across like Ward Cleaver speaking Beatnik.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Wed 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Ward Cleaver speaking Beatnik. Great line and a trip with Jack Kerouac in the way back machine!! Len that's a funny picture!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sun 01, 2009 12:15 pm

I notice ads for laptops are saying either "Windows 7" or "Windows 7 Starter" - what's the difference?