Netflix?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Leigh
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Leigh » Mar Thu 12, 2009 1:59 pm

only bad thing about Netflix is they generally steer you away from the new movies. look at imdb to see whats new out..then look it up on Netflix.
Thank you -- that is so helpful! I turn on Netflix and think there is nothing I want to see b/c I don't see the new-new movies!

I did the BB to Netflix to BB and now back to Netflix! BB used to not charge late fees and I guess now they are . . . I have two small kids and that just doesn't work for me.

I personally would rather go to a store and pick a movie by the cover but my whole life is run from computers at work or at home -- I guess I need to accept it.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Thu 12, 2009 3:37 pm

My neighbor must love Netflix because I see at least 1 a week in our mail box. We live in a multi family dwelling, and though it is against code, we all share a mailbox. Kinda interesting to see what every one else gets besides me :D

A lot of my friends say they use NetFlix. I just rent them on Pay4View on my TV :)
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Mar Thu 12, 2009 6:13 pm

what I've noticed about NetFlix and new releases - they show them on the home page after about 2 months. they'll show them (usually) in the "Favorites for your area" section at the bottom of the page.

for example, the movie Wanted with Angelina Jolie came out on DVD back in December. I saw it on the home page at the tail-end of February.

now, what I usually do is this: if I see a movie in a theater that I like, I'll look it up on NetFlix as soon as I get home. I will usually put it right into my Saved Queue (as instead of "Add", the listing will have "Save" there). I do the same thing with the previews - if there's a movie that looks good, but I don't know if I'll see it in a theater, I'll add it anyways. NetFlix is good at adding movies once they are announced (not even in theaters yet). I already have Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince AND Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows saved, and they just started FILMING HPatDH last month. one the release date is known and they move the movie from my Saved Queue to the regular queue, I'll move that new movie to the top, so that assuming I have an open spot on the day before release day, I SHOULD get the new release ON the release day. works fairly well... :D
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Mar Thu 12, 2009 9:46 pm

The "new releases" page that disappeared awhile ago can be found here, http://www.netflix.com/AllNewReleases?l ... ewReleases.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

wdwannabe
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by wdwannabe » Mar Fri 13, 2009 9:13 am

Jacca5660 wrote:Be nice! All because we're guys doesn't mean can just automatically just do stuff. I'm not a car guy Don't get me wrong, I know about cars but I do not like to work on them. I'll trade with your DH, I'll do your electronic and computer stuff, he can do my car stuff! :lol: :wink:
Yea, your not too far! (what kind of car?)

What I ment my him taking too long is, it usually does...he has to "think" about it... :roll:
First Family Visit
POP Century - September 2006

Second Family Visit
2013 Fall/Winter-Christmas

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Fri 13, 2009 12:57 pm

wdwannabe, that last post was just flat confusing to read! It felt like I was looking into two mirrors directly across from each other.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Fri 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Gymfan, if you were making your kids drag wire under the house why didn't you just get a nice long S-video cable? You lost a lot of quality going to composite (RCA). You can buy a cheap but good cable at monoprice.com.

Granted my solution didn't cost $20, but here's my latest for those who don't want a PC next to their TV and cannot run cable:

I use PlayOn media server running on the PC in my office. It has a setting for your Netflix account. The software costs $40 (I paid $30). The PC is connected to a Wireless G router with a network cable.

In the family room, I have a Wireless N bridge (N so I don't outgrow it) hooked up to a D-Link DSM-520 media player. In an earlier post I had it hooked up to my DirecTV receiver but that wasn't ready for prime time. The DSM-520 is made to stream media.

I just turn on the DSM-520 with my remote, navigate to my Netflix queue, and pick a movie. Anything in my queue is shown in a list and also sorted by genre. Just watched All The President's Men last night and it was a beautiful picture on my 52" LCD. I forgot I was watching Internet video pretty quickly.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

wdwannabe

Post by wdwannabe » Mar Mon 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:wdwannabe, that last post was just flat confusing to read! It felt like I was looking into two mirrors directly across from each other.
I was asking what kind of car do you have? DH, likes Chevy to work on, but of course any others work too. And, you don't live too far away from us. So, yea, let's trade!

Then, I was saying agian, that he takes too long to think about a problem, likes to mull it around awhile before he finishes the project...

How's that?
First Family Visit

Second Family Visit

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » Apr Sun 05, 2009 12:24 pm

I have a Netflix account which I use mostly for older movies or to catch up on current tv shows I might not have the time to watch.

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Aug Sun 16, 2009 11:17 pm

I just signed up for it. I like because of the ability to send movies straight to my tivo. Although the selection for downloading is limited.

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Aug Mon 17, 2009 1:28 am

I know someone who just got netflix recently. So far it seems like a good deal. Especially for me. :wink:

wdwannabe

Post by wdwannabe » Aug Wed 19, 2009 10:59 am

js3901 wrote:what I've noticed about NetFlix and new releases - they show them on the home page after about 2 months. they'll show them (usually) in the "Favorites for your area" section at the bottom of the page.

for example, the movie Wanted with Angelina Jolie came out on DVD back in December. I saw it on the home page at the tail-end of February.

now, what I usually do is this: if I see a movie in a theater that I like, I'll look it up on NetFlix as soon as I get home. I will usually put it right into my Saved Queue (as instead of "Add", the listing will have "Save" there). I do the same thing with the previews - if there's a movie that looks good, but I don't know if I'll see it in a theater, I'll add it anyways. NetFlix is good at adding movies once they are announced (not even in theaters yet). I already have Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince AND Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows saved, and they just started FILMING HPatDH last month. one the release date is known and they move the movie from my Saved Queue to the regular queue, I'll move that new movie to the top, so that assuming I have an open spot on the day before release day, I SHOULD get the new release ON the release day. works fairly well... :D
I have started doing this, and it has worked very well! Thanks for the tip on this! Now I have all new movies in my queue....
First Family Visit

Second Family Visit