Pushing Daisies

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

billville
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Pushing Daisies

Post by billville » Nov Mon 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Are you a fan of this TV show? I happen to be a very big fan and just found out this morning that ABC will end up canceling the show after their 13 episode contract expires. I was extremely s hocked to hear this as I always thought the show was doing so well.

There's lots I can say about this show but to shorten it down to a talerable explanation I will say this....it was very unique in the sense that the style of writing was catchy and original. All the shows carried a mix of humor, suspense, romance, and fantasy. A very original show to say the least and am very sad to hear this news.

Are there others out there that feel the same way?
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3774/userbar506533aa1.gif[/img][/url]

"Now remember, magnifying glasses are for looking at little things.......not for burning little things. See Ya!!!"

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Nov Mon 24, 2008 4:42 pm

I've never seen it but with what's going on in the world and with studios needing to have huge hits and push off the, possibly amazing, but not widely successful shows to make room for less amazing but more profitable shows I'm not surprised its being cancelled. Hollywood is all about money. Sadly the art form isnt treasured as much as the money is. :(
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Mon 24, 2008 5:41 pm

WHAT!? this really upsets me, I am losing faith in ABC. First they cancel Boston Legal and now they cancel Pushing Daisies. I can't believe this. I miss the days when good comedic television could weather the storms, but now it is all about crime scene investigators doing the same crap in thirty different cities or stupid single people thinking they can find true love on a two-week stay with twenty other stupid single people. I am very seriously canceling my subscription to cable and giving my TV's to charity. It is all crap nowadays. Well, I'll keep one TV so I can watch my movies, still love Netflix.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Mon 24, 2008 5:52 pm

I was one of the few people I know who watched the show loyally during it's first season. But as I got into the second season, I became frustrated at how similar one story was from the next, as well as the increasingly tedious and predictable banter from the main characters.

It would've been great if they had continued the story arc with Paul Reuben's character (with the super sensitive sense of smell) as he was a fun character that shook things up.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

billville

Post by billville » Nov Mon 24, 2008 6:10 pm

horizons1 wrote:I was one of the few people I know who watched the show loyally during it's first season. But as I got into the second season, I became frustrated at how similar one story was from the next, as well as the increasingly tedious and predictable banter from the main characters.

It would've been great if they had continued the story arc with Paul Reuben's character (with the super sensitive sense of smell) as he was a fun character that shook things up.
The stories are very similar in the sense that it is the same concept every week. I just think the show needed a bit more time to develop a better storyline and reveal the characters in depth. I believe that it was headed in a good direction if the network would have just given it a little more time to get there.

The driving force behind this show for me was the writing. Never before have I seen a show with such a brilliant and original writing style. Yes there are lots of shows with excellent writers, but this one just seemed to be a bit different from the usual dialog you get with other shows. It seemed poetic and well though out.

The visual style and art direction was also very bright and vibrant at times. It complimented the storyline very well in my opinion.

I dunno...i guess im just upset that i finally found a show i really liked and now they go and take it away. Very frustrating..... :roll:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3774/userbar506533aa1.gif[/img][/url]

"Now remember, magnifying glasses are for looking at little things.......not for burning little things. See Ya!!!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Mon 24, 2008 6:32 pm

billville wrote: The driving force behind this show for me was the writing. Never before have I seen a show with such a brilliant and original writing style. Yes there are lots of shows with excellent writers, but this one just seemed to be a bit different from the usual dialog you get with other shows. It seemed poetic and well though out.

The visual style and art direction was also very bright and vibrant at times. It complimented the storyline very well in my opinion.

I dunno...i guess im just upset that i finally found a show i really liked and now they go and take it away. Very frustrating..... :roll:
I've never watched Pushing Daisies before (just never really appealed to me), however I feel this same way about Farscape when it was taken off Sci-Fi network. The dialog between characters seemed nearly natural, and the casting itself was very close to perfect (IMHO).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Nov Mon 24, 2008 6:43 pm

I can understand the frustration with losing a show you've come to enjoy, I have had this same experience myself with other shows. I was enjoying "Invasion" on ABC and then it was canceled. It really makes me not even want to try to like new shows.

As for "Pushing Daisies" I really tried to enjoy this show but something about it just bothered me so I quit watching toward the end of last season.
Last edited by disneylandmom on Nov Mon 24, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Nov Mon 24, 2008 6:45 pm

I've never watched an episode of it before but my grandmother's been a fan of Eli Stone, which was also amongst the three being canceled with Pushing Daisies. It's hard to get viewers to come back to the show when a previous episode or more tend to not keep the viewers' interest long enough. I miss a lot of old shows that were canceled long ago.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Tue 25, 2008 9:58 am

I blame it all on the writer's strike last year. A lot of shows didn't complete their seasons so they have been absent for longer than usual and people lost interest/track and now they are struggling to regain the lost audience. It is really a shame that some really good shows are being lost because the writers and studios couldn't agree on contracts.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin