Change is Upon Us!!

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Nov Fri 07, 2008 10:33 am

bluebayougirl wrote:How exciting that our generation actually had some say in a politican getting elected. It is about time that we were heard!!
Actually we were heard for many years, but not that many people vocalized. This was one of the largest turnouts, with respect to the "young" vote. But still the majority of voters were in the 45-65 bracket.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:
bluebayougirl wrote:How exciting that our generation actually had some say in a politican getting elected. It is about time that we were heard!!
Actually we were heard for many years, but not that many people vocalized. This was one of the largest turnouts, with respect to the "young" vote. But still the majority of voters were in the 45-65 bracket.
I'm 48 and it's good to be king. :lol:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

broncoflyer8912
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by broncoflyer8912 » Nov Sun 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Not to get overly critical, all I have heard is the word "Change" but I have serious doubts we shall see any of these "changes". It's like me promising more coke machines as the student council president in elementary school.
Sometimes the bluest part of the sky seems so far away from us, I guess thats what keeps us striving for it...
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8092/userbar517363if3.gif[/img][/url]

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 1:19 am

broncoflyer8912 wrote:Not to get overly critical, all I have heard is the word "Change" but I have serious doubts we shall see any of these "changes". It's like me promising more coke machines as the student council president in elementary school.
Interesting point. It seems that in the history of our country, politicians make all these campaign promises on things that they will do. In the end, for the most part, they don't do it OR they do the opposite. I've seen it done to things that affect me.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Nov Mon 10, 2008 9:31 am

broncoflyer8912 wrote:Not to get overly critical, all I have heard is the word "Change" but I have serious doubts we shall see any of these "changes". It's like me promising more coke machines as the student council president in elementary school.
Yep, exactly. And is why what you say during the campaign is turning out to be more important than what you've actually done in the past. Health care reform was the big subject in the 90's and is how Bill Clinton won claiming he will "change" it. During his 8 years we saw the bigest increase in premiums. I'm not saying the people running on change don't even intend to do it, I am sure they want to, but just saying it over and over again has a bigger impact than actually doing it - Which is sad. This isn't a student council we are running, it's a country that needs a proven leader.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 11:21 am

It seems the republicans aren't happy they didn't win this one. I'm reading post here and some seem to have come straight from Fox News. Why don't we all just sit back and give the man a chance before we start saying he's not doing the job.

On health care. It is one of the hardest things to change. You have to consider the insurance industry has the largest lobby in DC and in state houses. It will fight tooth and nail to keep things just the way they are.

Just be happy that we have a president elect that is one of the smartest ever elected. :D

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Jacca5660 wrote: Just be happy that we have a president elect that is one of the smartest ever elected. :D
Just curious as to what you base your information on in regards to this? His education level?
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 3:24 pm

disneydreamer58 wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote: Just be happy that we have a president elect that is one of the smartest ever elected. :D
Just curious as to what you base your information on in regards to this? His education level?
I don't know? Lets see, He's a Harvard Grad, and we all know how easy it is to do that. Extremely well spoken, with thoughtful, intelligent, and meticulous answers. After the last eight years I can see how a few of us might not be able to recognize that. He smart enough to surround himself with some of the best minds this country has to offer. Again after the last eight years.

He doesn't just react in a knee jerk fashion to what's going on around him. And a true sign of intelligence, he addresses the problem and not just attack the messenger.

Why don't you give me your thoughts on why you don't think he is very smart.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Nov Mon 10, 2008 3:47 pm

disneydreamer58 wrote:

Sounds like MSNBC.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 3:49 pm

99Soulz wrote:
disneydreamer58 wrote:

Sounds like MSNBC.
I watch CNN

FOX = RNC
MSNBC = DNC

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Nov Mon 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:It seems the republicans aren't happy they didn't win this one. I'm reading post here and some seem to have come straight from Fox News. Why don't we all just sit back and give the man a chance before we start saying he's not doing the job.

On health care. It is one of the hardest things to change. You have to consider the insurance industry has the largest lobby in DC and in state houses. It will fight tooth and nail to keep things just the way they are.

Just be happy that we have a president elect that is one of the smartest ever elected. :D

I am an independent

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Tue 11, 2008 12:37 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
disneydreamer58 wrote:
Extremely well spoken, with thoughtful, intelligent, and meticulous answers. After the last eight years I can see how a few of us might not be able to recognize that.
I personally thought he is a horrendous speaker. I feel he comes off as a preacher and only sounds good when scripted. I didn't like his speaking in the debates, where he was not scripted. (Just my honest opinion ;))
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Nov Tue 11, 2008 12:56 am

As I sit here and read all of these posts I am truely baffled. With how open-minded Disney has always been, I really figured I would see mostly Democrats here. This country has been in the toilet for too long and McCain really does seem like an older Bush. I have never before now heard anyone say Obama was a horrendous speaker. Even republicans I know say that was his strong suit. The best speech McCain gave was his defeat speech. When was the last time you heard other countries CELEBRATING something the good'lo U.S. of A had done? The Republican party shot themseves in the foot with Palin. She has no world experience at all! If she ever became president that would have been a travisty. There are more people in Broward county Florida than all of Alaska. Chris Rock said it right, "There are no drugs and gangs in Alaska, no black, hispanic, or asains" He used very different wording than I just did, but I cleaned it up for this board. She held up her baby like it was a prop for the entire world to stare at, instead of being a mother. I would have been embarassed if McCain/Palin were in office....embarassed.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Tue 11, 2008 2:23 am

I agree with Len90, that Obama does sound kinda "preachy" in his speeches. However, I also agree with Yodiwan in saying that McCain is a continuation of Bush. I believe that McCain said that would continue to carry out many of Bush's policies, which, given the current economic/financial situation we're in, would probably put us into another Great Depression. or, at a minimum, sink us into a real recession.

I also agree that Palin was not a wise choice of running mate. Especially given many of her answers to the questions posed by Katie Couric back in September. The McCain campaign chose her for 2 reasons: 1) she's a woman. simple fact - there has been no woman vice-president in the history of the US. It'd be a first, just like the first African-American in the White House. McCain wanted to be a first, same as Obama. 2) she's good looking to pull in younger votes. And by parading her kids around, makes her look wholesome to appeal to young/middle-age families.

Now, am I upset that McCain lost and ecstatic that Obama won? No. Do I feel that this country is going to be righted right away? again, no. I DO feel, however, that this is a start. Does everyone feel the same way? of course not. and to think so would be foolish at best. Personlly, I feel there is too much partisanship to even BEGIN to consider it. If only we weren't so divided on EVERY issue, maybe we could resolve our problems quickly and efficiently.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Nov Tue 11, 2008 8:36 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
disneydreamer58 wrote:
I don't know? Lets see, He's a Harvard Grad, and we all know how easy it is to do that. Extremely well spoken, with thoughtful, intelligent, and meticulous answers. After the last eight years I can see how a few of us might not be able to recognize that. He smart enough to surround himself with some of the best minds this country has to offer. Again after the last eight years.

He doesn't just react in a knee jerk fashion to what's going on around him. And a true sign of intelligence, he addresses the problem and not just attack the messenger.

Why don't you give me your thoughts on why you don't think he is very smart.
I am at work and I will try to get this on here without it sounding preachy.

Jacca I never said anything about him not being smart. I was just curious as to why you thought he was the smartest EVER elected, that's all. I will just say that I do believe a lot of people jumped on his band wagon without knowing much about him because they wanted to send a msg to Pres. Bush that we were tired of his administration. Bush didn't make these decisions on his own, he had a whole lot of people, democrats and republicans alike helping him make the mistakes he made during his presidency. Those same deomcrats and republicians sure started finger pointing, denials and ran like the wind in the opposite direction when thing started going south and didn't want to be associated with the President. They had their "careers" to think of.

I think that most of our Presidents have been intellectual individuals, it comes down to the people you surround yourself with (advisors) because this is not a dictatorship, Bush did not single handedly mess up this country, it took a whole lot of people to do that.

I am impressed that you took the time to get to know facts about the new pres. elect and that you were not just jumping on the band wagon. That is why I asked, I never said he wasn't smart. He is very articulate (when reading from material, but not so much in the debates). He is well poised. It's a hard job to walk into and be able to give speeches and reassurances to our country "off the fly" and not have everything scripted. Just not my canidate. McCain was not my choice either, I didn't feel the strength from him. Something about Obama scares me, I can't pin point it or say exactly what it is. I just don't feel safe under him yet. Hopefully that will change.

I did not it seems get as clear a picture as you did while I followed his speaches, etc.. This was the toughest election for me to vote in, and I have been voting since 1976! Yes, I was a Regan supporter and that really irks some of my friends still to this day! :lol:

Personally I would like a clean slate and clear out all the politicians in office, reduce the amount of time they can serve, instead of having "career" politicians who are clearly in it solely for themselves and start all over. Is there EVER going to be a politician these days that actually DOES look out for the best interest of the PEOPLE, not the lobbiest, and big business? I highly doubt it.

All we can do is support him and hope that this country and those that live in it turn it around and make it great again. It's not just HIS job to turn this country around, it is all of ours.

Gotta get off my soap box and get to work, before my boss makes me join the ranks of the unemployed for being on here :D
Great thoughts shared in this post everyone!

TTYL
(edited cause I made numerous type o's)
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"