Do you watch the Olympics?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

bluebayougirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bluebayougirl » Aug Sat 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I will watch the swimming/diving if I catch it on, but generally I dont watch the Olympics. I think that they are a little over-hyped personally. - blue
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Sun 10, 2008 1:49 pm

I have watched already more than I expected to, and I have loved it! The opening ceremonies were better than anything I have ever watched. Commercials are a part of life, and I didn't mind it at all. They were very brief. If I had to sit through 5 straight hours with out breaks I would have gone mad. Commercials gave me a chance to get snacks, drinks, and well...potty breaks. I would love for Disney to somehow make one of those giant globes with people walking all over it. That was magical.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Mon 11, 2008 7:49 am

agingerbugg wrote: Unfortunately, we don't have a choice in the US; NBC owns the exclusive rights.
I know USA network is playing alot of Olympic coverage, with alot fewer commercials. also, being so close to Canada (or according to Meet The Robinsons, North Montana), we get CBC (Canandian Broadcasting Corp). granted, they focus alot on the Canadian athletes, but they have very few commercials (as far as I've seen).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Mon 11, 2008 8:52 am

js3901 wrote:
agingerbugg wrote: Unfortunately, we don't have a choice in the US; NBC owns the exclusive rights.
I know USA network is playing alot of Olympic coverage, with alot fewer commercials.
USA Network is owned by NBC/Universal. NBC has coverage with fewer comercials as well. It isn't the commercials during the events that annoy me, it was the commercials during the opening ceremonies. If NBC can show the two-hour premiere of "Heros" without commercials, they can show the four hour opening ceremonies without commercials. It was prerecorded, yet they still skipped parts for the commercial breaks.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Mon 11, 2008 10:13 am

I am actually also annoyed with the coverage during the actual events. I have been watching the volleyball and beach volleyball games that are really close. NBC goes to a commercaial when there is a time out and when they come back, two or three points have been played already. You miss a lot.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Mon 11, 2008 10:18 am

I like to watch it, but it's not a must for me.

If I watch anything it will be the equestrian riders. I was a Hunter Jumper during my Purdue days and I miss it terribly! I LOVE to watch the professionals ride!

Also, if they broadcast the marathoners, I'll watch them too! Haven't been able to find that yet though.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Mon 11, 2008 10:22 am

Len90 wrote:I am actually also annoyed with the coverage during the actual events. I have been watching the volleyball and beach volleyball games that are really close. NBC goes to a commercaial when there is a time out and when they come back, two or three points have been played already. You miss a lot.
Did you see the USA v. Japan game? Wasn't that amazing. I haven't seen good volleyball like that for awhile. Probably since the Athens games.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Aug Tue 12, 2008 2:31 am

I don't always take an interest in the Olympics. But its wonderful to see China host them, the opening ceremonies were amazing! I'm always impressed with the atheletes. The rumor is that China lied about the age of their gymnastic atheletes, I must say that most of those girls didn't even look close to sixteen. I heard China was gonna have one heck of a time dealing with their pollution problem, I can't really tell how that turned out by the film I've seen.

Shinku

Post by Shinku » Aug Tue 12, 2008 4:40 am

I have a personal gripe with Bob Costas: He defies science.

The man NEVER gets older! In like the last five olympics he hasn't aged! Whether this is genetics or enhanced by a surgeon, it's irritating! With his smug smile and supercuts haircut and assumptious khaki pants.

I hate the Costas, oh yes I do. >:(

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Tue 12, 2008 7:22 am

Shinku wrote:I have a personal gripe with Bob Costas: He defies science.

The man NEVER gets older! In like the last five olympics he hasn't aged! Whether this is genetics or enhanced by a surgeon, it's irritating! With his smug smile and supercuts haircut and assumptious khaki pants.

I hate the Costas, oh yes I do. >:(
He probably came from the same genetic clearinghouse as Dick Clark, my complaint with him is that he is an idiot. I watched an interview Costas gave with Bella Karoyli and Costas was totally unprofessional. Basically he chastised the whole production crew right there on camera in front of his guest and the world. If I was in charge of NBC, that would be enough, if not to get him fired, to keep him off the Olympic reporting team.

-Benjamin Franklin

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Tue 12, 2008 8:12 am

I thought the opening ceremonies were outstanding! I've been recording some of the more unusual sports to watch - badminton, archery and weightlifting yesterday. It's fund to get some variety from the swimming and gymnastics!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

IMFearless

Post by IMFearless » Aug Tue 12, 2008 8:29 am

CHINA FAILS
Really, a lot of what I saw and heard, particularly during the March of Nations, tells me that this round is pretty much doomed. China is simply being too oppressive for this to work, and it's coming back to haunt them. Simply consider the number of athletes that China refused to grant visas to, even for political reasons! And, check out what flag Taiwan/Chinese Taipei is flying....
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Aug Tue 12, 2008 10:09 am

I never have really been into the Olympics before, but this year, I'm hooked! I hate how Bejing is 12 hours ahead of us, so I would have to stay up all night to watch everything, while regularly scheduled programming is all I can see during the day. It would have been a great way to spend the last week of my summer vacation if it was on during the day...
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Aug Tue 12, 2008 10:14 am

spodie wrote:I never have really been into the Olympics before, but this year, I'm hooked! I hate how Bejing is 12 hours ahead of us, so I would have to stay up all night to watch everything, while regularly scheduled programming is all I can see during the day. It would have been a great way to spend the last week of my summer vacation if it was on during the day...
That is why I love DVR. I have two so that is a possibility of 200 hours of recorded Olympics. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of summer vacation so I have to record the games while I sleep and watch them when I get home. Plus it has the added bonus of allowing me to skip the commercials.

-Benjamin Franklin

spodie

Post by spodie » Aug Tue 12, 2008 10:18 am

agingerbugg wrote:That is why I love DVR. I have two so that is a possibility of 200 hours of recorded Olympics. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of summer vacation so I have to record the games while I sleep and watch them when I get home. Plus it has the added bonus of allowing me to skip the commercials.
DVR is totally on my to-do list. But, knowing me, I will pay for it, record a bunch of stuff and never watch it. Being a Music Major = me never having a life, except for music.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]