Earthquake in Southern Cali

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Earthquake in Southern Cali

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Tue 29, 2008 6:28 pm

How many of you in California felt the 5.4 earthquake this morning? I'm sure those around the Chino Hills area felt it the most. I was about 40 minutes or so away from it but it was still pretty strong. I almost fell out of bed when it happened. It was pretty freaky.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_ ... earthquake

That article talks about how the rides at Disneyland/California Adventure and Knott's Berry Farm were closed temporarily to inspect any damages and test them out to see if they were good. I heard from ABC news about an hour or so ago that they're up and running.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Tue 29, 2008 6:38 pm

I am so glad I live in Florida. At least we see the hurricanes coming.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 29, 2008 10:29 pm

It is nice to see that Disney took all precautions to make sure everything is safe. I am sure the people are the park weren't happy, but hopefully they will realize it was all done to guarantee their safety.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by nancynohorse » Jul Wed 30, 2008 10:05 am

My ex- had to tell us all about how "a reporter was at Disneyland and got knocked off his feet by the earthquake!"

Sheesh.

I'm just glad that we're not hearing reports of injuries and a lot of damage...
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jul Wed 30, 2008 11:28 am

nancynohorse wrote:My ex- had to tell us all about how "a reporter was at Disneyland and got knocked off his feet by the earthquake!"

Sheesh.

I'm just glad that we're not hearing reports of injuries and a lot of damage...
Only would have happened if the reporter was, at that exact moment, going for a one legged hop over the curb on main street. Wasn't that strong...

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Sep Sun 21, 2008 3:57 am

Lots of earthquakes in Cali every day.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... Nevada.php

I'm with agingerbugg, you can dodge a hurricane with todays advanced warnings.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Go Florida :)

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Tue 16, 2010 7:08 am

Earlier this morning at 4:04 AM, we had a 4.4 earthquake with the epicenter being in Pico Rivera. I am 20 minutes away from it and I was still awake when this was going on.

Somehow, something poked in my head and I felt it coming. I may have even heard the ground start moving before it hit. I saw my lamp shade start to sway then the big shake happened. It was at least a five second quake, maybe less than that. The news said it was at least twenty seconds but to me, it didn't feel that long. Nothing fell in my house but the whole family is awake though we're trying to get them back to bed. I turned on the television right away and now it's on ABC breaking news so I have it on still.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... -area.html

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Mar Tue 16, 2010 7:25 am

No thank you to an earthquake. Glad everything is OK there with you, Swan.

I'll take the 10 inches of rain over three days we just got over an earthquake everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Tue 16, 2010 7:26 am

I'd rather take rain over earthquakes any day. I love the rain.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Tue 16, 2010 7:47 am

I'm so GLAD you are OK!!! What's going on lately with all the earthquakes?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Tue 16, 2010 12:47 pm

I immediately thought of those of you in SoCal this morning when I heard about the quake, and I'm glad everyone is ok.

I don't like quakes either, how could anyone?...there's no way to predict them. We're pretty seismically active here too (5th or 6th most seismically active state) and we often feel the stronger quakes from SoCal (I'll never forget Northridge).

Fortunately, today's was "only" a 4.4 (like that's any consolation, right?)...there hasn't been a strong quake in SoCal for a while. I would imagine there are quite a few folks on edge, especially since there's been so many in the news lately.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Tue 16, 2010 2:22 pm

It almost seems like it was bound to happen. I am just scared that one day we will turn on our televisions to hear the big one has struck in So. California. Glad everyone is okay and that it was a baby one.

As for the rain, we had category 1 hurricane strength winds on Saturday. The storm damage is just overwhelming. Luckily my house didn't even lose any power or a tree. However, my neighbors lost some of their landscaping.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Tue 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Will somebody explain what in the world is going on! Glad to hear everybody has made it through what nature is giving them!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Tue 16, 2010 2:51 pm

2012 is coming early, that's all I'm saying!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Mar Tue 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Love your new avatar, Elizabeth (well.... new to me, I haven't been around much lately :oops: ), and I'm glad you're okay.

I was born in California (Orange, actually.... just down the road from Hollywood Hills), and I remember plenty of earthquakes from when I was a kid. One time we were staying at a cabin in Big Bear, right on the lake, when one hit. I don't remember what the number on the scale was, but I do remember that I was sitting in the big stuffed chair in the living room and almost couldn't stay in it. My mom was in the kitchen swearing as all the plates and glasses came flying out of the cupboards and crashing on the floor, and my sister tumbled down the stairs. Nobody seriously hurt in that one. Good thing there was no tsunami off the lake!

In the early 70's there was a huge quake that wrecked most of L.A. They even made a movie about that one a few years later (I'm really dating myself here...). Anyway, my whole family except my Dad were in Oregon at the time. Dad was still in L.A. when it hit. My mom freaked out when she turned on the TV and saw what was happening. Dad was finally able to get to a working phone and called to say he was alright. He had been tossed out of his bed and ran outside to see the streets rippling and buckling like waves on the ocean, and streams of fire shooting up through the cracks as gas lines burst and ignited. He said he thought it was the end of the world (come to think of it, he found religion shortly thereafter, LOL).

I think with all this activity in the "ring of fire", we may be getting ready to see "the big one" any time now. Scary thought, but we gotta be prepared. Glad I don't live in Cali anymore. :shock: