Long Vacations or Minnies?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Sep Tue 16, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm exit 117 on the GSP which puts me just under an hour and a half to NYC or AC.
Wait a second... you're in Jersey and it's an hour and a half...?
I'm in central CT and it's only an hour. (Either the Merrit or I-95, they're about the same without any traffic) :? I always thought anywhere in Jersey was closer than where I am in CT.

Maybe we diregaurd the pseed limits too much here :lol: .

edit... wait... our official county is New Haven county, so i guess I'm more sothern CT then, which makes a bit more sense. I have a bad sense of direction. :?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Tue 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:
I'm exit 117 on the GSP which puts me just under an hour and a half to NYC or AC.
Wait a second... you're in Jersey and it's an hour and a half...?
I'm in central CT and it's only an hour. (Either the Merrit or I-95, they're about the same without any traffic) :? I always thought anywhere in Jersey was closer than where I am in CT.

Maybe we diregaurd the pseed limits too much here :lol: .

edit... wait... our official county is New Haven county, so i guess I'm more sothern CT then, which makes a bit more sense. I have a bad sense of direction. :?
Trust me with traffic it comes close to an hour and a half. If there is no traffic it could take an hour tops to hit midtown.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Wed 17, 2008 7:36 am

I live in the ideal location for the Southeast. I am 1.5 hours from Orlando, 2 from Tampa, 3 from Savannah, 5 from Atlanta, 5 from Miami (well, it usually takes me 4) and a stones throw away from any number of little weekend getaways. At least once a month I take a three-day weekend and travel somewhere just to get away. Savannah is by far my favorite, I just love the architecture and the ambiance of the old city.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Sep Wed 17, 2008 8:46 am

Don't be Goofy, even Mickey thinks Minnie's are the way to go. This year alone since we decided New Zealand was too much too soon (didn't have the staff nor did we want to shell out $6000 just for the plane tickets) we have had at least 6 mini vacations. I say spread them out, you've heard the saying "don't spend it all in one place!"
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

pixiesparkles
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by pixiesparkles » Sep Sat 27, 2008 1:47 pm

I live in Michigan so trips to WDW are few and far between. For a family of five, just getting there is $$$$ and we like to stay for 7-8 days. Mini vacations around home fill in the other time. Of course, with gas prices, mini vacations are turning into mini "adventure" days - museums, festivals.....versus driving several hours and staying for the weekend.

emnbensdad

Post by emnbensdad » Mar Mon 16, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm lucky to have 15 vacation days. That should increase to 20 next year. I like taking minnie's . . . just day trips somewhere close. I used to be very active with a barbershop quartet and chorus. We would have 2 or 3 competitions a year so I would take other vacations in conjunction with those events. Now it's just work, work, work and take more days strung together.

viking245
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by viking245 » Mar Mon 16, 2009 6:09 pm

My wife's a school teacher so she gets (most of) the summer off and not really any other time off. Unfortunately, that's my busy time of year for work. :(

Our vacations have become kind of structured. Annually, it's:
Friday of Memorial Weekend for camping with the family and friends.
A week in July to go where Jr. Olympics takes us (Austin this year).
A Friday in August to go to the beach with the family and friends (about 20-25 of us).
The week of Christmas and New Years.

So I guess to answer the question, a little of both. :)

emnbensdad

Post by emnbensdad » Mar Mon 16, 2009 6:28 pm

viking245 wrote:My wife's a school teacher so she gets (most of) the summer off and not really any other time off. Unfortunately, that's my busy time of year for work. :(

So I guess to answer the question, a little of both. :)
Mine is a teacher also. That drives us to vacation mostly in the Summer. This coming Thanksgiving she and the kids will be on the same schedule for their break even though they are in different school districts. We talked about heading to WDW the week of Thanksgiving. Not sure if we will or not.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Tue 17, 2009 7:56 am

OMG I would love to take about a 3 month vacation right now!!! Or better yet I would have NO problem with a permanent vacation :D
Mini vacations just make me long for more.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

cinderella75
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cinderella75 » Jan Wed 27, 2010 5:59 pm

We love to take long vacation that is 10 days and 9 nights. As well as minnies. The family and I dont want to come back :( Even better vacation is the rest our of lives :D If only I can hit the lotto :mickey3: hmm... :wave:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)

joeyflds

Post by joeyflds » Jan Fri 29, 2010 10:13 am

we usually take a week off during the year to go to WDW and another week for Christmas.

the rest of the time off we have are just used randomly.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 29, 2010 10:24 am

I live in Florida, so I tend to be a day-tripper: there and back in the same day, no hotel stay. So I would fall into the "Mini's" category ("Minnies" makes it sound like those who belong to a Minnie Mouse Fan Club).

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Fri 29, 2010 11:47 am

I say if you haven't been to the place you are wanting to vacation, then take a long one. Like I've said before, I've never been to Disneyland. I'm in the process of planning a week or week-1/2 to visit the L.A. area (mostly Disneyland, maybe Universal Hollywood), hopefully early next year. I've also said before that I live very close to WDW. That doesn't mean I can't stay a few days/nights at a WDW Resort. My better half booked Port Orleans - French Quarter for next month. We even have reservations at Tony's at MK and Coral Reef at Epcot (we both have wanted to eat at both places for at least a year now). :D

Of course, the choice is yours.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 29, 2010 12:08 pm

If you to go LA, do Hollywood Studios out there. It's the original. Last time I went to Disneyland I stayed at the Grand Californian. Great resort! Walking distance to DLR MK and has its own entrance to DCA. You may want to check out to see when some of the current DCA refurbs will be done - they're currently working on the new Worlds of Color show for DCA and the tests shots on the net have been really spectacular. Enjoy California, MadEye!

joeyflds

Post by joeyflds » Feb Thu 04, 2010 9:06 am

We've been thinkin about heading out to DL sometime, maybe next year we will take a long vacation to do so.