"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

bluebayougirl
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by bluebayougirl » Jul Thu 17, 2008 12:29 am

Some of my current favorites are:

Just about anything by Dan Brown
Wicked and Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire
The entire Harry Potter series (though #3 is my favorite)
The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld (roo made me read them, lol)
You say wicked - like it's a bad thing!

pkbabygirl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by pkbabygirl » Jul Wed 23, 2008 8:46 am

I'm a sucker for kids books. It helps that I have a little girl to read them to now.

Plus I love anything by James Patterson.

My all time favorite books are the Harry Potter books.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Nov Tue 25, 2008 1:56 am

Lord have mercy, do I gotta pick?? :mrgreen:

Favorite AUTHOR hands-down is Stephen King. Favorite BOOKS include Lisey's Story by Stephen King, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, Christine by Stephen King, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (may he rest in peace :( ), and the Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George (I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Nathaniel Parker fan, and he portrays Lynley in the BBC drama based on the books). I could make a whole list..... let me think some more and I'll add others later. :wink:

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Nov Tue 25, 2008 8:40 am

I don't have time to read as much as I'd like, but when I do I tend to read a lot of nonfiction. One of my favorites is Dave Barry Hits Below The Beltway. It's silly, yes, but it also makes a lot of good points about why people vote the way they do, and it also contains some outrageous-but-true stories about South Florida politics. The Daily Show's America: The Book is funny, too, as is Stephen Colbert's I Am America And So Can You.

On the fiction front, Gene Roddenberry's novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is excellent. More than just a novelization of the film, it's Roddenberry's definitive statement on his vision of the 23rd century, and it contains a lot of interesting futuristic ideas (like a hydroelectric dam across the Strait of Gibraltar). Another very underrated book is Miracle Monday by Elliot S! Maggin. It's a thoughful Superman novel that takes the character seriously and really makes him and his supporting cast into believable 3-dimensional people.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Tue 25, 2008 9:53 am

Soarin08 wrote:Lord have mercy, do I gotta pick?? :mrgreen:

Favorite AUTHOR hands-down is Stephen King. Favorite BOOKS include Lisey's Story by Stephen King, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, Christine by Stephen King, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (may he rest in peace :( ), and the Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George (I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Nathaniel Parker fan, and he portrays Lynley in the BBC drama based on the books). I could make a whole list..... let me think some more and I'll add others later. :wink:
Neil Gaiman is an amazing author. I didn't think I would like his work that much, but a friend gave me Neverwhere a few years ago and I fell in love, have read everything of his. His books are generally more fantasy than I like, but the way he paints the worlds he is writing about is fantastic.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Dec Thu 04, 2008 4:02 pm

ive been stuck on "The Old Man And The Sea". I currently reading 'The Seventh Tower" series. I love alot of books.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Dec Thu 04, 2008 6:33 pm

I just finished "The Christmas Sweater" by Glenn Beck..... wow!!!!! That's another one to add to my list of favorites. Even if you don't like Glenn I highly recommend reading his novel anyway!!

slylandro
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by slylandro » Dec Thu 04, 2008 7:44 pm

I like a lot of the work that Micheal Crichton did andromeda strain, timeline, jurassik park,

Other book I enjoy are book related to the star-wars universe, Asimov, harry potter and many more!
'' It is kind of fun to do the impossible'' Walt Disney

'' He said that it all started by a mouse, I say it all started by a man and his dream'' Julie Andrew in One Man Dream

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Dec Thu 04, 2008 8:28 pm

^^ Michael Crichton (may he rest in peace) is my second favorite author after Stephen King. Jurassic Park is brilliant!!! So is Congo.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Mon 08, 2008 11:40 am

Asking what ones favorite book is like asking what ones favorite food is, there are just two many to choose from. I'm a really big Mark Twain fan. His writing is amazing. I love Robin Cook, Gore Vidal, Micheal Crichton, Sir Conan Doyle, the Bard, Tolkien, Jimmy Buffett, Christopher Paolini, J. K. Rowling, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, and Stephen King. There's also the slew of writers that have wrote Conan, Star Wars, Star Trek, and a few other series of books I have read and collected. Conan got me through calc, just by getting my mind someplace else. There are many others writers, that list would just be to long.

To ask which book is my favorite?? I don't know if I could choose a single favorite. I would have to say my all time favorite writer is Mark Twain. I've read his books over and over since my childhood. After reading him many, many times I still laugh at his words.

I have to add three honorable mentions. I don't know if any are published writers, but I look foreword to their writings; Dr. Ravenscroft, Captain Schnemo, and Baloo1320 (on the Dis). All have missed their calling!
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Dec Tue 09, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

slylandro

Post by slylandro » Dec Mon 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Soarin08 wrote:^^ Michael Crichton (may he rest in peace) is my second favorite author after Stephen King. Jurassic Park is brilliant!!! So is Congo.
WHAT THE HELL 0_O I didn't know he died recently :(:( ...a shame...I red his last book this week (Next...) and I absolutely loved it..aww crud...that make a bad day worst !
'' It is kind of fun to do the impossible'' Walt Disney

'' He said that it all started by a mouse, I say it all started by a man and his dream'' Julie Andrew in One Man Dream

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Dec Mon 08, 2008 5:41 pm

he dies November 5. here's a CNN story on his passing.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Mon 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Hmmmm.. I would have to say Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Allbom. A powerful story that really gets you hooked. I read it in just a couple of days.

Another good book that I read was Seabiscuit.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Mon 08, 2008 10:01 pm

I have no idea if anyone has attempted to read these but I enjoyed The Kingdom Keepers. They're a Disney publication with two books in it so far and I thought they were interesting. Yes, they're pretty much kid books but I gave it a try after hearing about them on another Disney site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_Keepers