What is your favorite book?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

What is your favorite book?

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Thu 03, 2008 2:21 pm

I am an avid reader, going through at least two books a week. Currently I am rereading 1984 by George Orwell. I wonder, what is your favorite book? Mine is deffinately Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Thu 03, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm not a novel person. I like to read non-fiction. That said, my favorite book is not likely to excite very many people. It's Lincoln's Melancholy. It's a biography of President Lincoln that looks more at his state of mind from childhood through his assassination. I found it very interesting as other books I've read on Lincoln focused on his life, presidency or death and not on the man himself.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Hmm, this is a tough question for me since I have quite a lot of novels that I've enjoyed throughout the years. The top three I enjoy the most would be American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and Atonement by Ian McEwan. I prefer the novels over the movies themselves since they have to cut out a lot of parts but they are very interesting.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Thu 03, 2008 7:25 pm

elizabethswann wrote:American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
I agree, this is an amazing book. It is soooo much better than the movie.

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Jul Thu 03, 2008 8:05 pm

Jane Eyre
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Thu 03, 2008 8:38 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
elizabethswann wrote:American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
I agree, this is an amazing book. It is soooo much better than the movie.
I did enjoy the movie but the book is much more enjoyable.

metsofny

Post by metsofny » Jul Fri 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Tao of Pooh. Great book, with great life lessons. It's a fun book to read for anyone, and it's a quick read.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Sat 05, 2008 8:51 am

Hmmm, is it a Disney publication?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » Jul Sat 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, and I'm currently reading Marley and Me which isn't bad.
Amy

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Sat 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Sleeping Beauty 5 wrote:Angela's Ashes.
This is a good book, but not really my cup o' tea. Currently I am reading through as many "dystopian" novels as I can find. I know, I am weird, but I usually stick to themes like that. You can all blame my high school Literature teachers. They didn't require I read Nineteen Eighty-Four or A Brave New World. So I did now at 26, and it started me down this interesting stream.

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Jul Mon 07, 2008 11:15 am

If you're a fan of adventure, anything by Alexandre Dumas is an absolute neccesity(Three Musketeers trilogy, Count of Monte Cristo, etc.).
All time favorite book would have to be "The Monster at the End of this Book" however :mrgreen:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Mon 07, 2008 1:08 pm

I am really kinda disappointed. I expected there to be more people willing to share their reading preferences. We are nonjudgmental here. We are not going to tease you because you prefer to read Green Eggs and Ham over the latest by Philip Roth. There is nothing better than settling down in your favorite easy chair with a good book and "background - 96K" playing in the background.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jul Mon 07, 2008 2:24 pm

i really loved the book about peter rabbit and his friends. they were always telling people life lessons. liek dont get eaten by a fish while fishing! :lol:
Have a magical day everyone!

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Mon 07, 2008 5:26 pm

agingerbugg wrote:Currently I am reading through as many "dystopian" novels as I can find.
You might want to check out Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. The guy is brilliant and happy to show this fact off.

I think his later novels go off the deep end in terms of trying too hard to get everything in there, although complaining about a great book going on too long is sort of like complaining about a good movie that's too long...it's a comment on the format that has nothing to do with the quality of work and everything to do with our expectations. That said, a long book is too friggin' heavy to lug around! Maybe I should get a Kindle.

The Tao of Pooh is an interesting and fun read. Nothing to do with Disney, the author is working with the real Pooh. Disney Pooh (in particular Eeyore) is awfully bland compared to Milne's original works, which are a lot funnier, smarter, and more insightful.

As for my personal favorite book, I'd have to go with Catch-22. Hilarious, intelligent, moving, simultaneously cynical and hopeful...it's a delicate trick, one which Heller never came close to duplicating. In my extremely limited and uninformed opinion, it is the pinnacle of American literature.

I also own the entire Seuss collection, most of which is pure genius.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Mon 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Catch-22 is an excellent novel. It is one of the few books that I have read multiple times. I am told that I am very cynical so that may have something to do with it, but I don't know.

-Benjamin Franklin