International Drive

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Bullwinkle
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

International Drive

Post by Bullwinkle » Nov Fri 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Looking for your favorite International Drive Stories...

sandwichboy
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by sandwichboy » Nov Sat 10, 2007 2:16 am

hmmmmm...
well, i am from chicago, but for some reason we do drive. What we do is go drive for a while into tenesee, and then we stay at the Opriland Resort (check it out here), which I absolutely love... it's so awesome there with the big greenhouses and stuff. and then we will dive right into disney from there :D . I might edit this post though, because it's late at night and i can't really think.
Jake

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Nov Wed 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Do you mean International Drive Orlando, the long road from Disney to Universal? (well almost)

'Cos if you don't I've crashed some cars in various different countries. :D
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Blackie Pueblo

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Nov Thu 15, 2007 8:37 pm

I don't have any real funny or great stories but I remember seeing that building that is upside down. And I thought it was awesome. So we rushed over to see what was inside of it and were kinda let down when we heard it was a laser tag place. This was years ago. Anyone know if it's being used for anything better yet?

"To all who come to this happy place...welcome!"
---Walter Elias Disney

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Nov Thu 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:I don't have any real funny or great stories but I remember seeing that building that is upside down. And I thought it was awesome. So we rushed over to see what was inside of it and were kinda let down when we heard it was a laser tag place. This was years ago. Anyone know if it's being used for anything better yet?

"To all who come to this happy place...welcome!"
---Walter Elias Disney
Do you mean the Wonder Works building? we went there back in '99. I don;t remember there being Laser Tag (though looking at the site, they seem to have it there now). They do have a bunch of other stuff, like an Earthquake simulator, a roller-coaster sim (like Virtual Space Mountain at DisneyQuest), a few different fun science-type experiments, and a bunch of other stuff...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Nov Thu 15, 2007 10:30 pm

When I did time back in the 80's, International Drive was relatively short.
From Sea World up to what is now Universal drive ( it didn't exist at the time). I stayed at the Marriott at International and Sand lake...don't think it's a marriott any longer. It used to have a great bar.
"Just remember, six out of seven Dwarfs are not Happy"

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Nov Thu 15, 2007 11:19 pm

I like to take people on it who have never seen it just once, so they can experience Capitalism Hell World...mostly because people won't believe you when you try to explain it to them. It's really just about the most horrible place on Earth, although it's pretty good if you have a hankerin' for a specific fast food chain that you can't usually find.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 16, 2007 10:03 am

When I was in boot camp (NAVY) in the late 70's, it wasn't "Capitalism Hell World"....It was HOOKER World, it's changed. It was changed over to a different kind of hooker. I don't know if it's gotten any better.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mageloff
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by mageloff » Nov Mon 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Now a days I Drive is a 3 mile long strip mall. One highlight a block off I Drive is the Pirates Dinner Show - outside the theme parks - it has one of the best dinner shows in Orlando. The food is not bad and they have a full scale Pirate Ship inside the arena surounded by a mote! It is really cool. I have scene the show about 15 times.
Nick

Jambo Wilson! Simba One is entering the reserve at Little Ituri Forest.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Nov Tue 20, 2007 4:53 am

It's interesting to note that if you're coming up from the south, the Turnpike has signs saying that Disney World is at earlier exits than the most convenient one. (I assume the same is true coming from the north as well.) If you haven't done your homework, you'll be fooled end up stuck in the 3 mile strip mall, and arrive an hour later than someone who knows the score.

I once got in a huge argument with someone who insisted that they knew a "short cut". He was driving, so I relented and let him learn for himself. It's a fair bet that he won't make that mistake again.

I wonder how much the businesses around Disney pay to have those signs in place.

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Dec Sun 02, 2007 8:24 pm

When I did time at WDW. they put me up at the Marriot at Sand Lake and International. Besides the "Giraffe" (On property) it was The hot spot (Marriot Bar)

neapolis
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: International Drive

Post by neapolis » Sep Tue 28, 2010 11:45 am

International drive is great especially the Mcdonalds which is the biggest in the world.....

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: International Drive

Post by Len90 » Oct Sun 10, 2010 10:13 pm

My favorite I-drive thing is Ming Court. One of the most amazing Chinese Restaurants I have ever eaten at. My family makes it a tradition to eat there every time we go.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"