for those that like Harry Potter

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jul Mon 23, 2007 9:49 am

^Well? What's the verdict? Keep all spoilers in white font, please!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Jul Tue 24, 2007 9:38 am

Well, I finished last night. Hmmm.... my verdict. Predictable, and yet not. Hard to explain. I was angry at first at some of the things that happened. (It seemed like a lot of predictions fans had were addressed). In the end, it had to be the way it ended.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jul Tue 24, 2007 9:42 am

Esmeralda wrote:^Well? What's the verdict? Keep all spoilers in white font, please!
I liked it. I know a cried a little bit at certain parts, and that's something - to see me actually crying. I'm re-reading it now to really digest some of the deaths that were in this book. Realy shocking how many people died and how quickly (like within the first 100 pages or so).

I'll post any real spoilers in the white font later, as I have to get ready for work (darn job getting in the way again.. :roll: :evil: :lol: )
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Jul Tue 24, 2007 12:28 pm

I bought the book at midnight, but was SUPER busy all weekend, so I haven't had the chance to start really reading it until now. I'm about half-way through. It's okay, if a little draggy so far. I'm waiting for it to pick up now in the second half, somewhat dreading the end and seeing who dies.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

Breegan
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Breegan » Jul Tue 24, 2007 6:54 pm

i really liked that book and the last one is out (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) i really like it so far, although im not finished with it lol. I Love Harry Potter stuff!
"Why should i sail with any of you? Four of you tried to kill me in the past! ...One of you succeeded."

"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue. And trim that sgraggly beard."

(Tia Dalma:) "You know I demand payment." - ( Jack:) "I brought payment. Look!" (shoots the monkey) "An undead monkey! Top that!"

"Son....Im Captain Jack Sparrow...savvy?"

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Jul Thu 26, 2007 9:59 am

Rowling did say that she would probably write an encyclopedia of sorts concerning the people and places of her Wizarding world. That sounds really cool. I wouldn't expect it for a number of years, though.
^ That's what TQM had said in the other post.

I think that'd be cool to read; I always enjoyed the non-fiction reference books that came out for Star Wars. Able to get a fuller picture of things that there wasn't time to properly describe in the fiction.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Thu 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Alright, I finished and LOVED the book. Sad to see it all end, but like Magique said, it ended just as it needed to.

Now, on to Sorcerer's Stone (I have an undying urge to re-read the series straight through)!
Arrrrrr.

PudgetteD

Post by PudgetteD » Jul Fri 27, 2007 3:14 pm

SWHorn wrote:Alright, I finished and LOVED the book. Sad to see it all end, but like Magique said, it ended just as it needed to.

Now, on to Sorcerer's Stone (I have an undying urge to re-read the series straight through)!
Thanks to the nagging of DD, we had the book @ 12:01 the day or release. I've read it and agree with other posters that it had to be that way. I've re-read the 5th and 6th and am suprised at what I failed to pick up on, things that should have been oh so obvious but weren't to me until I read the 7th.

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Fri 27, 2007 3:45 pm

PudgetteD wrote:
SWHorn wrote:Alright, I finished and LOVED the book. Sad to see it all end, but like Magique said, it ended just as it needed to.

Thanks to the nagging of DD, we had the book @ 12:01 the day or release. I've read it and agree with other posters that it had to be that way. I've re-read the 5th and 6th and am suprised at what I failed to pick up on, things that should have been oh so obvious but weren't to me until I read the 7th.
That's one of the reasons that I want to re-read them all soon. I have a short memory, and there were many things that came up in the book that I didn't remember from before.
Arrrrrr.

Breegan

Post by Breegan » Jul Fri 27, 2007 8:11 pm

I had the same idea when i get done with the 7th!!!
"Why should i sail with any of you? Four of you tried to kill me in the past! ...One of you succeeded."

"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue. And trim that sgraggly beard."

(Tia Dalma:) "You know I demand payment." - ( Jack:) "I brought payment. Look!" (shoots the monkey) "An undead monkey! Top that!"

broncoflyer8912
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by broncoflyer8912 » Jul Sat 28, 2007 10:54 pm

Funny, I was working till past midnight, rolled into Meijer's (a wal-mart type store of the Midwest) at 2:00 am, and easily picked up my copy with no crowds or lines. Only thing that sucks was that then my friends who were along for the ride, proceeded to take it, read the last chapter, and mention that the ending was corny, which semi-spoiled it for me.

Otherwise, I totally loved the ending, I have re-read the final showdown with Voldemort at least 5 times. I found the book quite enjoyable and really enjoyed the inner turmoil Harry went through the book, especially with the Deathly Hallows.
Sometimes the bluest part of the sky seems so far away from us, I guess thats what keeps us striving for it...
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8092/userbar517363if3.gif[/img][/url]

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jul Sun 29, 2007 1:45 pm

Highlight inside the quotes to see spoilery goodness.

I, and my friends, felt that the epilogue read more like bad Fanfiction rather than a real chapter to the epic story. We were really disappointed in the end. overall story was good (albeit lossing months at a time while the trio
went Apparating all up and down the country in the tent.
)

overall, I thought the book was great. I'm on my 3rd time reading it within the last week. and, reading it along with the audiio book this time. Hearing Jom Dale do the voices really makes the book come alive...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jul Sun 29, 2007 3:18 pm

js3901 wrote:Highlight inside the quotes to see spoilery goodness.

I, and my friends, felt that the epilogue read more like bad Fanfiction rather than a real chapter to the epic story. We were really disappointed in the end. overall story was good (albeit lossing months at a time while the trio
)

overall, I thought the book was great. I'm on my 3rd time reading it within the last week. and, reading it along with the audiio book this time. Hearing Jom Dale do the voices really makes the book come alive...
A friend of mine said the same thing about the epilogue being like a bad fanfiction. I agree. I heard that in an interview, JK Rowling said the epilogue was supposed to be longer, but her editors thought it was too long.

The retrieving of the objects seemed like a long line of RPG side quests.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Sun 29, 2007 6:46 pm

js3901 wrote:Highlight inside the quotes to see spoilery goodness.

)

I agree about the spoiler. That's the part that was so draggy sometimes.

The epilogue was cheesy, but I don't know how else she could have done it. It was very straightforward, and obviously showed what she wanted us to know.
Arrrrrr.

Breegan

Post by Breegan » Jul Mon 30, 2007 7:25 pm

I actually liked the ending, i just wanted more of a story instead of just the "Nineteen years later" I wanted more detail of how they lived their lives after Voldemort dies