World of Warcraft

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

World of Warcraft

Post by subsonic » Dec Fri 03, 2004 12:52 pm

I have started playing this game with Sockfire. If any of you have played EQ and were tired of meditating and waiting for spawns WoW eliminates that.

I jumped right in without reading the manual or anything. It was very easy to figure out. Leveling is fast and there are plenty of monsters to fight.

Gamespot has a video review that is worth checking out.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofw ... media.html

Rich, tell your wife to get outta EQ :)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

WoW

Post by sockfire » Dec Fri 03, 2004 1:40 pm

rich wrote:My wife is trying to get me to play Everquest with her, maybe I can get her to switch to WoW? But she can totally loses track of time and most nights doesnt logoff till 12pm, would WoW be a good move?
It's the same type of format game right? Build a character up, join teams and such?
Last night it took me a little over an hour to install, played for an hour, got to level 3, logged off at 1AM. I'm beat today, but I will definitely play more.

By the way, we're on the Sargerus server in the Central time zone. We were playing some undead characters, mine was named Klunkfire.

rudekick
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by rudekick » Dec Fri 03, 2004 3:10 pm

Oh man...that looks deadly...

As someone who never touched EQ, but loves Warcraft, I'm a little stupid when it comes to how these games work. You pay for the software, and then there's a monthly fee to get on the the server to play with other people. Can you play the game alone without paying the monthly fee?

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Dec Fri 03, 2004 3:30 pm

Man I hate monthly fees it's bad enough that you pay about 49.99 but if you have to then subscribe to eather get the newest game updates or just to play online (not including ISP fees) man that just suck. Then again for me I could never play on my system I would have to go out and buy a newer faster and better one to even get the video to load :lol:

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Dec Fri 03, 2004 3:40 pm

Blizzard wrote:The Subscription options for World of Warcraft are as follows:

1 month: $14.95
3 months: $41.97 ($13.99 per month) *
6 months: $77.94 ($12.99 per month) *
60-day Prepaid Time Cards (click here for more information on Prepaid Time Cards)

* Please note that the 3-month and 6-month subscriptions must be paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle.

Note: For information on available payment options, please click here.

Your subscription is activated immediately on receipt of payment, and this also marks the beginning of your billing cycle. For example, if you start a monthly subscription on the 5th of November, your next billing cycle begins on the 5th of December.

rudekick

Post by rudekick » Dec Fri 03, 2004 3:43 pm

Yeah, I saw that, but is there offline play available if you don't want to pay? (I'd probably pay it, but I'm just curious.)

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Dec Fri 03, 2004 3:46 pm

From what I was reading it seamed that it was a never ending game which means that as the programers finished a new part of the game you download it and play that "new" mission. Please correct me if I'm wrong for those who actually have the game.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Fri 03, 2004 5:02 pm

rudekick wrote:Yeah, I saw that, but is there offline play available if you don't want to pay? (I'd probably pay it, but I'm just curious.)
Nope, it's Multiplayer only. That's the appeal for some.
MMORPG
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

It's fun knowing you're playing and grouping with a bunch of people.

At 15 bucks a month, the subscription is a little high, and buying 3 months at a time only save you 1 freakin dollar a month. There's no incentive to buying multiple months.

Regardless, I guess you pay for the aspect that it's an MMO and get to play with thousands of people.

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Dec Fri 03, 2004 5:04 pm

for now I will stay with 49.99 a year for my xbox live subscription

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Dec Fri 03, 2004 5:46 pm

That's one reason why I like PS2 - no subscription fees for online play. I can sit and play SOCOM for hours and only get charged for my isp. And that's on a per month basis... Plus, most of the games that are online also have the ability to play by yourself. So, if you're having a bad day and don't want to talk to anyone, you can play a game by yourself...

rudekick

Post by rudekick » Dec Fri 03, 2004 8:00 pm

Okay, I caved and bought it. Anyone else playing besides the two undead guys? (I'm probably going human...can't stand the thought of being the on the "bad" side)

Ciciwoowoo

Post by Ciciwoowoo » Dec Sat 04, 2004 6:37 pm

I've been playing EQ2 and am loving it!

We had the debate going on in my house...EQ2 vs WOW...EQ2 won just because it came out sooner I think.

Have you guys who are playing WOW found that the servers are crashing a lot? I've heard they tend to do that.

I'm liking EQ2, but I don't think its going to be something I'm playing in a year. It doesn't seem to have longterm promise to me.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Dec Mon 06, 2004 1:00 pm

I have only play WoW for about 2 hours now. In that short time I haven't seen the servers crash.

I think that EQ2 will outlive WoW. Sony already has over 5 years of EQ under their belt. They know how to make people play forever. So far leveling has been very fast. The max level currently is 60 and a friend of mine (who does't have a job) has hit level 40 in a week. While this could be could and allow players to play multiple classes it could also become repetitive.

I did play EQ a lot for half a year. I stopped for a year and then tried to get back into it. I found it very boring and slow paced. I hear they fixed a lot of that in EQ2 but I don't trust it. So it's WoW for me. Which I'm enjoying.

rich

Post by rich » Dec Tue 07, 2004 8:53 am

Ok, I watched the video's.

Sorry kids, no Christmas this year, Daddy has to play WoW.

Post by Guest » Dec Tue 07, 2004 9:48 pm

Well, I just might have to give WOW a try...Gotta wait til January though...Tapped out money wise ATM

:)