17%

Total votes: 12

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

The Scouting Life

Post by eagle4life69 » Oct Tue 19, 2004 11:54 am

Here is the home to this topic Now

I got my Eagle out of Troop 549 Norwalk, CA. My project cosited of about 200 feet of trail that was in bad shap from water washing it out. We had to build about a 50 foot deadman with about 3 areas designed for a french drain. My total man hours for one weekend was about 650 no including my time. my hours place my troop at the Highest total man hours the USFS has ever had which at the time was 10,000. Those were the days. (tried to get my son to join but pack was just to boring so maybe boy scouts will be his thing when he's old enough.)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Oct Tue 19, 2004 1:01 pm

I was a boyscout for about a year. I got to Tenderfoot. I remember staying with my grand parents in Florida for a summer and tranfering to a troop there. We went to this great camp ground for a week. I really enjoyed it.

I think the Scouts are great for kids. It not only develops social skills but also teaches how to use knives properly and other useful skills.

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Oct Tue 19, 2004 1:03 pm

Fire fire Oh Fire lol :wink:

F1gment
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Re: The Scouting Life

Post by F1gment » Jan Mon 17, 2011 4:57 pm

My two sons are both Eagle Scouts.... their projects were 1) bringing first aid lessons to the community and 2) replacing steps for a Church that didn't have the finances to do it #1 son also earned his palms. #2 son has been involved with scouting at the local and district levels for many, many years in CA.

My daughter finished her Girl Scout career as a Silver Scout.

My Grandson has also earned his Eagle. My Granddaughter was a Girl Scout.

Many, many good memories of when my husband and I worked on a troop committee and directly with the troop as advisors, I did not do campouts..... but my husband did. I am very proud of my Scouts and all others who have achived this goal. :)

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 17, 2011 5:45 pm

F1gment wrote:My daughter finished her Girl Scout career as a Silver Scout.
Is this Amy or do you have another daughter? :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 17, 2011 8:26 pm

NaCler wrote:
F1gment wrote:My daughter finished her Girl Scout career as a Silver Scout.
Is this Amy or do you have another daughter? :D
Nope, that was me. No sisters :( I would have gone on to get my gold but they kept changing the requirements, there was very little in the way of local support and it just didn't carry the same weight as the Eagle does in Boy Scouts :( I do think the scouting program is good for kids, but I think the boy scouts are more accepted and organized...

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Amy - I can see you as a scout. PLEASE tell me she has some pictures...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 17, 2011 9:51 pm

NaCler wrote:Amy - I can see you as a scout. PLEASE tell me she has some pictures...
I was a better honorary boy scout than a girl scout ~ I suppose there are some photos somewhere...should I be worried though?? :lol:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Mon 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:Amy - I can see you as a scout. PLEASE tell me she has some pictures...
I was a better honorary boy scout than a girl scout ~ I suppose there are some photos somewhere...should I be worried though?? :lol:
You know you don't have to worry about ANYTHING that I have a hand in, right? :twisted:

F1gment

Post by F1gment » Jan Tue 18, 2011 12:22 am

NaCler wrote:
Amy wrote:
You know you don't have to worry about ANYTHING that I have a hand in, right? :twisted:
Knew I couldn't post without her finding it! I have pictures of her both tagging along with her "older" brothers scout troop, (she was the troops mascot I think!! altho that put her in some precarious positions ie: being dangled over a two story drop of a railing, and of course photos of her as a cute little Brownie!!!

Tell me you were a scout too NaCler... :?: :) :figment:

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jan Tue 18, 2011 3:12 am

I was a Brownie and then a Girl Guide, my aunt was a Brownie leader and my Mum was my Guide leader. I was the youngest Brownie leader in the country at one point but only for a few months, then when the Guide leader left a nearby troop I took her place and was doing Brownies and Guides for close on sixteen years. I stopped when health and safety went mad I mean what is the sense of taking the Girl's to camp when you are not even allowed a campfire anymore.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 18, 2011 3:15 am

F1gment wrote:...Knew I couldn't post without her finding it! I have pictures of her both tagging along with her "older" brothers scout troop, (she was the troops mascot I think!! altho that put her in some precarious positions ie: being dangled over a two story drop of a railing, and of course photos of her as a cute little Brownie!!!
Tell me you were a scout too NaCler... :?: :) :figment:
That 2 story dangle is one of my most treasured memories of being the mascot :D Looking back now, there probably should have been more supervision after the meetings at the bank :lol:
Sleepy90 wrote:I was a Brownie and then a Girl Guide, my aunt was a Brownie leader and my Mum was my Guide leader. I was the youngest Brownie leader in the country at one point but only for a few months, then when the Guide leader left a nearby troop I took her place and was doing Brownies and Guides for close on sixteen years. I stopped when health and safety went mad I mean what is the sense of taking the Girl's to camp when you are not even allowed a campfire anymore.
No campfires for scouts? :shock: That does seem odd!

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jan Tue 18, 2011 3:23 am

Sleepy90 wrote:I was a Brownie and then a Girl Guide, my aunt was a Brownie leader and my Mum was my Guide leader. I was the youngest Brownie leader in the country at one point but only for a few months, then when the Guide leader left a nearby troop I took her place and was doing Brownies and Guides for close on sixteen years. I stopped when health and safety went mad I mean what is the sense of taking the Girl's to camp when you are not even allowed a campfire anymore.
No campfires for scouts? :shock: That does seem odd![/quote]

Not odd or weird according to the idiot that thought it up. :twisted: There are a lot of other strange things they thought up as well but that was last straw for me I love campfires and roasting marshmallows with chocolate digestive biscuits with hot chocolate made on the fire while everyone is singing.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 18, 2011 3:34 am

You're right! How can you be a scout and not toast a marshmallow over an open fire?!?!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Tue 18, 2011 12:50 pm

F1gment wrote:(she was the troops mascot I think!! altho that put her in some precarious positions ie: being dangled over a two story drop of a railing, and of course photos of her as a cute little Brownie!!!
That is truly awesome... The mascot... I think I am speaking for everyone on the boards when I ask... PICTURES PLEASE???!!! :D
F1gment wrote:Tell me you were a scout too NaCler... :?: :) :figment:
I was but a lowly Cub Scout. I didn't like it enough to continue into the real Boy Scouts when I got old enough. Does that count?