Hockey and the Olympics?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Feb Sun 14, 2010 2:25 am

I'm avoiding the Olympics except for the events I'm going to with my parents. It's too depressing now. I found out the other day that several women I went to the Olympic training center with are there, which makes me happy for them, sad for me. If I hadn't of gotten sick, it might have been possible for me to fulfill my dream of being there. For the rest of my life, I will forever have the what-ifs... :( It wouldn't hurt me so bad if I had had the opportunity to try and failed, but I never had the opportunity to really get rolling and give it a good go.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Feb Sun 14, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm pretty excited to watch the Olympics this year. The Opening Ceremony was great to watch, and the 2 teams I'm rooting for in the Olympics are TEAM USA and TEAM SWEDEN! Sweden because a few of my fellow Detroit Red Wings are on the team and am hoping for back to back gold medals!
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Feb Mon 15, 2010 2:05 am

I'm Team USA, Team Netherlands and Team Germany. I will throw in some Team Canada too especially since the women's freestyle skiing the other night.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Feb Mon 22, 2010 10:32 pm

GO USA... excellent win by the USA hockey team. Was anyone expecting that outcome? The Canadian team looks like an All-Star roster. Ours has a few names I've never seen before and we managed to pull out a nice win. Maybe we have a shot at GOLD???

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Feb Tue 23, 2010 12:04 am

Doh, you just jinxed it NaCler. As a goalie, it's believed that if it is said before it happens, it doesn't come true (kind of like the SO word during a game... never say it or it won't happen).

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 1:25 am

NaCler wrote:GO USA... excellent win by the USA hockey team. Was anyone expecting that outcome? The Canadian team looks like an All-Star roster. Ours has a few names I've never seen before and we managed to pull out a nice win. Maybe we have a shot at GOLD???
I honestly saw the weakness in Team Canada when they almost lost to Switzerland. Remember, names are not what are fully important in Olympic hockey. It is how well everybody plays and interacts together.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 1:51 am

Remember Russia is still a power house and looks like another NHL all-star team! I think we have a good shot at a medal if our goaltender can stand up to the fire. ImageImageImage
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 9:03 am

You've got to read this!! Canada is beaching Brodeur!! He could be the best Goalie in the NHL and is gonna sit for the next game!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/22 ... th-luongo/

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:You've got to read this!! Canada is beaching Brodeur!! He could be the best Goalie in the NHL and is gonna sit for the next game!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I heard about this and it seems very interesting. A lot of Devils fans are happy that he will be benched so it will allow him to be fresh when the NHL resumes action. Wonder if tonight could be a depressing night in Canada?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Len90 wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:You've got to read this!! Canada is beaching Brodeur!! He could be the best Goalie in the NHL and is gonna sit for the next game!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I heard about this and it seems very interesting. A lot of Devils fans are happy that he will be benched so it will allow him to be fresh when the NHL resumes action. Wonder if tonight could be a depressing night in Canada?
Canada is playing Germany. I haven't heard anything about the German team. My thinking is that there aren't many German NHL stars. I think Canada can handle them. Don't think because Canada lost to the USA team, that they are out of it. I don't see them keeping Brodeur from between the pipes for very long. I mean what would you Devil fans be scream right now?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Len90 wrote:

Canada is playing Germany. I haven't heard anything about the German team. My thinking is that there aren't many German NHL stars. I think Canada can handle them. Don't think because Canada lost to the USA team, that they are out of it. I don't see them keeping Brodeur from between the pipes for very long. I mean what would you Devil fans be scream right now?
Hey, anything can happen in the olympics. Keep in mind that they almost lost to Switzerland. The Canada team just does not seem to be playing up to that level which everybody expects from them. Right now, I am excited that USA women's team has a chance to go for the gold and the men's team has been looking real good.
- Len90

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Feb Tue 23, 2010 2:57 pm

If I can get wifi tonight, I'll report back about the mood in Canada 'cause I'm leaving to go up there in just a couple of hours.

We've got tickets to the women's bronze medal game later this week. I have a feeling it'll be Canada/USA vying for the Gold and maybe Sweden and ? Vying for the bronze. They're saying that Women's hockey has shot itself in the foot with the large wins by USA and Canada. Unfortunately, they may be right... sigh.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Tue 23, 2010 3:33 pm

hockeygirl wrote:If I can get wifi tonight, I'll report back about the mood in Canada 'cause I'm leaving to go up there in just a couple of hours.

We've got tickets to the women's bronze medal game later this week. I have a feeling it'll be Canada/USA vying for the Gold and maybe Sweden and ? Vying for the bronze. They're saying that Women's hockey has shot itself in the foot with the large wins by USA and Canada. Unfortunately, they may be right... sigh.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!! You have a great time and be safe in your travels!!Image ImageImage

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Tue 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Len - Maybe this year's Canadian team is like the US team from a couple of games back when we had all the All-Stars and showed our butts and didn't end up close to a medal... I hope not because there are some amazing players on that team.

Jacca - You're right about Russia. I picked them as my favorite before they started. Living near Washington there is NO WAY I can bet against a team that has Ovechkin and Semin on the team. Those guys are amazing.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Tue 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Hockeygirl - *hanging head in shame* I am sorry... I will never say anything like that again. Hopefully, no one else heard me. :D