Training Runs

Get some props for a training run or race.. bask in the glory!!! You earned it!

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Training Runs

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:Sounds like you both had a great run under the circumstances Sleepy90! Will you and Joe90 run together since it sounds like you would be in different starting corrals if you don't advance before WDW or do you each prefer to run at your own pace? I hope your leg is right as rain soon!
The plan is to do the 5k and the 10k together and then we will do the other two separately. Joe is much faster and will be well ahead off my corral.
This is all assuming that this leg holds out.
Sounds like a good plan! I do hope your leg is feeling better and up to the challenge very soon!!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Oct Sun 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Ran 3.5 yesterday with the kids. I'm trying to get them into running. I'm training for a 10 miler next weekend and a Half on Thanksgiving. Good news is that Mrs NaCler is starting to train with me tomorrow!!! Galloway interval training couch to Half Marathon training! Whoo Hooo!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 20, 2014 6:36 am

NaCler wrote:Ran 3.5 yesterday with the kids. I'm trying to get them into running. I'm training for a 10 miler next weekend and a Half on Thanksgiving. Good news is that Mrs NaCler is starting to train with me tomorrow!!! Galloway interval training couch to Half Marathon training! Whoo Hooo!
Very nice! I hadn't heard about the couch to 1/2 training before, just the couch to 5k ~ good luck to all!! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Talked to my brother on Saturday. He and his girlfriend ran a marathon a week or so ago. He was telling me that they hadn't trained, which of course led me to ask if they had finished. He sort of laughed and said no, he had to stop after...guess how many miles...22! No training and they ran 22 miles before they stopped because his knee was starting to bother him. :shock:
I need to get into better shape so I can have fun stories like his :lol:

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Nov Mon 17, 2014 10:08 am

Amy wrote:Talked to my brother on Saturday. He and his girlfriend ran a marathon a week or so ago. He was telling me that they hadn't trained, which of course led me to ask if they had finished. He sort of laughed and said no, he had to stop after...guess how many miles...22! No training and they ran 22 miles before they stopped because his knee was starting to bother him. :shock:
I need to get into better shape so I can have fun stories like his :lol:
That's impressive...
I have been training for Goofy for months now, and I have doubts that I could do 22 right now.
17 has been our longest.

It does make for good stories like you said. People ask, "Hey what did you do this weekend?"
"Oh ran 22 miles..."
The looks you get are priceless.

Or this one is even better, "How far did you run?"
"Only 10, we are on a rest weekend." :lol:
People love that one!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 18, 2014 2:50 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:...It does make for good stories like you said. People ask, "Hey what did you do this weekend?"
"Oh ran 22 miles..."
The looks you get are priceless.

Or this one is even better, "How far did you run?"
"Only 10, we are on a rest weekend." :lol:
People love that one!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Nov Wed 19, 2014 4:50 pm

I guess that I am now officially on a structured WDW 10k/Goofy training plan. I do run year round but it is usually just whatever I feel like running. A couple of weeks ago I began a definite plan of 5 runs per week. I started with 5 80 minute runs per week and I increase the run time by 5 minutes each week with the new week starting on Sunday. Last week was 5 85 minute runs. This week I am up to 90 minute runs and will continue the 5 minute increase through the last week of December. That week will consist of 5 120 minute runs. That week will end on Sat Jan 3. I will then run 5 miles on Sunday Jan 4, 3 miles on Mon Jan 5 and after that not run again until the 10k later that week on Friday. At least that is the plan for now and I have stuck to it for 3 straight weeks now.
Has anyone else altered their training plans since we are just a few weeks away from the big event?

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Nov Sat 22, 2014 7:32 am

cccmouse wrote:I guess that I am now officially on a structured WDW 10k/Goofy training plan. I do run year round but it is usually just whatever I feel like running. A couple of weeks ago I began a definite plan of 5 runs per week. I started with 5 80 minute runs per week and I increase the run time by 5 minutes each week with the new week starting on Sunday. Last week was 5 85 minute runs. This week I am up to 90 minute runs and will continue the 5 minute increase through the last week of December. That week will consist of 5 120 minute runs. That week will end on Sat Jan 3. I will then run 5 miles on Sunday Jan 4, 3 miles on Mon Jan 5 and after that not run again until the 10k later that week on Friday. At least that is the plan for now and I have stuck to it for 3 straight weeks now.
Has anyone else altered their training plans since we are just a few weeks away from the big event?

We have been sticking with the Galloway plan from the rundisney website.
It's done us right in years past!
We have been getting slightly faster (for us) because of the year round running we have been doing.

It's getting down to it, isn't it!?!?
I think we only have two more of those agonizing back to back long runs.

Woo hoooooo. Soon enough!

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Nov Sun 23, 2014 9:07 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
cccmouse wrote:I guess that I am now officially on a structured WDW 10k/Goofy training plan. I do run year round but it is usually just whatever I feel like running. A couple of weeks ago I began a definite plan of 5 runs per week. I started with 5 80 minute runs per week and I increase the run time by 5 minutes each week with the new week starting on Sunday. Last week was 5 85 minute runs. This week I am up to 90 minute runs and will continue the 5 minute increase through the last week of December. That week will consist of 5 120 minute runs. That week will end on Sat Jan 3. I will then run 5 miles on Sunday Jan 4, 3 miles on Mon Jan 5 and after that not run again until the 10k later that week on Friday. At least that is the plan for now and I have stuck to it for 3 straight weeks now.

We have been sticking with the Galloway plan from the rundisney website.
It's done us right in years past!
We have been getting slightly faster (for us) because of the year round running we have been doing.

It's getting down to it, isn't it!?!?
I think we only have two more of those agonizing back to back long runs.

Woo hoooooo. Soon enough!

I just can't do the really long training runs. I get too bored. I have allowed myself to believe that I can offset the fewer long runs with more middle distance runs. It may not be true but in my world, ignorance is bliss.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Nov Mon 24, 2014 8:57 am

I ran the Philadelphia Marathon yesterday as a training run for the Goofy Challenge/Rebel Challenge. Happy with how I paced myself and feel generally good about January.

This is who we are, now...

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Nov Sun 30, 2014 7:27 pm

zhoover wrote:I ran the Philadelphia Marathon yesterday as a training run for the Goofy Challenge/Rebel Challenge. Happy with how I paced myself and feel generally good about January.

This is who we are, now...
Excellent. Yes we have all gone around the bend now. :lol:

10 and 20 this weekend for us. I was fine through 19 and that last mile was a bear. But we did it. One more long run before Jan. It's here whether we like it or not. :)

My legs just felt rough after awhile. I guess it was all those miles.
Looking forward to Goofy and running with 20 some thousand other crazies and lots of Disney characters.

:)

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Sun 21, 2014 2:39 pm

It is done....
Last long training run weekend is in the bag. We did 8 Saturday...we were planning on 10 but it was snowing, raining and sleeting so we said 8 was enough.

So today we ran 22 with some other fellow disney people.
Time to taper!!!! (And drink a beer :) )

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 21, 2014 4:04 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:It is done....
Last long training run weekend is in the bag. We did 8 Saturday...we were planning on 10 but it was snowing, raining and sleeting so we said 8 was enough.

So today we ran 22 with some other fellow disney people.
Time to taper!!!! (And drink a beer :) )
They say beer is a good recovery drink ~ cheers to shorter taper runs! :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 01, 2016 3:17 pm

I did not run, but I did get back out on the walking circuit today. I've been off since sometime in November I think. First a cough and cold, then ice, then lack of motivation kept me from too much distance before the first part of December. It felt good walking around WDW, even if my poor little feet did get tired at the end of a 16+ hour day. So much to look at and do there that you sort of forget what kind of mileage you are putting in. In any case, I'm back in the saddle so to speak...let's hope the weather cooperates here for awhile! :goofy_bounce:

Martr152
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Martr152 » Oct Sun 01, 2017 12:34 am

I enjoyed reading about your training, so much so that earlier this year I ran my first 5k, the runDisney Dark Side. I enjoyed it enough that I signed up to run the Disneyland 5k and Virtual Series over the summer to keep up the practice. It has been a fun experience.