Training Runs

Get some props for a training run or race.. bask in the glory!!! You earned it!

Moderator: Moderators

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Training Runs

Post by jrcohen » Jul Sun 13, 2014 1:32 pm

boilerbabe wrote:My run on Mon was going great! Until the top of my foot started to hurt, was 2 miles into my run, it felt like my laces were pinching the top of my foot. Which is odd b/c these are not new shoes and I did nothing different when I laced up. I stopped to adjust my shoe b/c the pain was worse and I could feel it in the ball of my foot too. I could not start running again b/c it hurt so bad. I hobbled back to my car. I have an appt with the foot dr tomorrow, I am having difficulty walking. I am baffled and frustrated! :twisted: I wasn't struggling with my run, I didn't step funny or twist anything. I don't want this to drag on, I hope there is simple answer, but I have been through enough to know, that is probably not that case. If something doesn't clear itself up in 24-48 hours, this is an issue. So much running for a while! :( I am pretty bummed.

Did you figure out what is was, and how long did it take to feel better? I was on a work trip two weeks ago tuesday where I was wearing my steel toe boots while walking a facility. I felt fine that day, but the next day in the office i had that same feeling on the top of my foot where it felt like it was tied to tight. I decided I'd try to go for a run that evening, and it hurt like hell. After that (wednesday the 3rd) I took off until this past monday, so about 4 days. I ran 3 miles on monday and my foot started hurting again. So at that point I decided to take a full week off (would be until tomorrow). My foot feels okay for the most part, but if I flex my toes up, it start to hurt. I'm not sure if that's the tendons running to my toes that are hurt or if it's something like a stress fracture in the bones.

I am hoping to try running tomorrow and see how it goes but I am a bit nervous. It hurt before I ran, so I know I didn't hurt it during a run. I never felt anything strain or pop while wearing my steel toes so I have no idea what caused the injury. I think that is what makes me nervous most of all. If I don't know what did it, I have no idea what is wrong. I've been so stressed out recently that I'd love to be able to run some of that off, and not being able to is just making it worse.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 13, 2014 6:33 pm

jrcohen wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:My run on Mon was going great! Until the top of my foot started to hurt, was 2 miles into my run, it felt like my laces were pinching the top of my foot. Which is odd b/c these are not new shoes and I did nothing different when I laced up. I stopped to adjust my shoe b/c the pain was worse and I could feel it in the ball of my foot too. I could not start running again b/c it hurt so bad. I hobbled back to my car. I have an appt with the foot dr tomorrow, I am having difficulty walking. I am baffled and frustrated! :twisted: I wasn't struggling with my run, I didn't step funny or twist anything. I don't want this to drag on, I hope there is simple answer, but I have been through enough to know, that is probably not that case. If something doesn't clear itself up in 24-48 hours, this is an issue. So much running for a while! :( I am pretty bummed.

Did you figure out what is was, and how long did it take to feel better? I was on a work trip two weeks ago tuesday where I was wearing my steel toe boots while walking a facility. I felt fine that day, but the next day in the office i had that same feeling on the top of my foot where it felt like it was tied to tight. I decided I'd try to go for a run that evening, and it hurt like hell. After that (wednesday the 3rd) I took off until this past monday, so about 4 days. I ran 3 miles on monday and my foot started hurting again. So at that point I decided to take a full week off (would be until tomorrow). My foot feels okay for the most part, but if I flex my toes up, it start to hurt. I'm not sure if that's the tendons running to my toes that are hurt or if it's something like a stress fracture in the bones.

I am hoping to try running tomorrow and see how it goes but I am a bit nervous. It hurt before I ran, so I know I didn't hurt it during a run. I never felt anything strain or pop while wearing my steel toes so I have no idea what caused the injury. I think that is what makes me nervous most of all. If I don't know what did it, I have no idea what is wrong. I've been so stressed out recently that I'd love to be able to run some of that off, and not being able to is just making it worse.
It does sound a lot like tendonitis ~ I found a good site that discusses this type of injury. It sounds like the best thing to do, if you think it is tendonitis, is rest, ice, gentle stretching, and ease back into running. Good luck!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Just back from a 8mile run. Have not run for two weeks due to being away in hotels training for my new job, I did walk the race for life last week with the girls though.

During my run today there were all sorts of things happening on our country roads. During the first four miles there was a cycle race sharing the roads with me, a few of them spoke as they passed but most where too busy to converse with a jogger. :roll:
At around mile six I heard a strange noise, not common to our little roads and then round the corner came a electric blue vintage rolls royce :shock: I almost stopped running at that point it was a stunning sight, however I pulled myself together and kept going. The next mile was taken up with vintage cars passing me at regular intervals they really were a stunning bunch but the oldest was a little Austin most of these guys waved as they passed it was a very enjoyable mile and took my mind of the run, just one problem the fumes from these old cars were not pleasant.

Just as I turned back onto the main road I met more cyclists but by then I was almost home and after the experience with the cars did not care if they spoke or not, my mind was still mulling over the old beauties I had just encountered especially the old roller.
Sounds like a very cool run ~ minus the petrol fumes. That certainly would take my mind off the task of running if I had something fun to look at!

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Sun 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Mrs. H and I ran 14 today as part of our Goofy training. We felt great until about mile 12.5 but we persevered. We had a running partner until mile 8 that made the time fly by.
Many many more training runs are in our future.

Anyone else run this weekend?

H

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 28, 2014 6:16 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Mrs. H and I ran 14 today as part of our Goofy training. We felt great until about mile 12.5 but we persevered. We had a running partner until mile 8 that made the time fly by.

H
Nice ~ that must make you feel good that you ran the first 12.5 without a problem! Keep up the good work :D
Run...no. Beer...no. I feel like I've failed you :(
;) :lol:

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Mon 29, 2014 8:55 am

Amy wrote:
wewantsdaredhead wrote:Mrs. H and I ran 14 today as part of our Goofy training. We felt great until about mile 12.5 but we persevered. We had a running partner until mile 8 that made the time fly by.

H
Nice ~ that must make you feel good that you ran the first 12.5 without a problem! Keep up the good work :D
Run...no. Beer...no. I feel like I've failed you :(
;) :lol:
lol
no, you are fine Amy--its just how you are. I don't understand it, but I like you no matter what ;) :lol: :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks! :D I think.... :lol:

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Mon 29, 2014 1:22 pm

H
We ran the Windsor half marathon on Sunday. It was just downright nasty, conditions could not have been worse 26centigrade, people were dropping like flies. Joe had to stop twice to help people that keeled over in front of him but he still managed to do it in 2.22.
I on the other hand was well behind the chaos. Yes there were still a lot of people dropping out but nobody around me needed oxygen. I had a slight pull from a training run on Wednesday that just got steadily worse but I would not let it beat me. I finished in absolute agony at wait for it..................3.15.01 if I had been a second quicker it would have moved me up a corral at Disney.
I will be ready to go training again at the end of the week as I feel sore in that leg but nowhere else, I will just rest it for a couple of days and then the mileage really ranks up.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Mon 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:

H
We ran the Windsor half marathon on Sunday. It was just downright nasty, conditions could not have been worse 26centigrade, people were dropping like flies. Joe had to stop twice to help people that keeled over in front of him but he still managed to do it in 2.22.
I on the other hand was well behind the chaos. Yes there were still a lot of people dropping out but nobody around me needed oxygen. I had a slight pull from a training run on Wednesday that just got steadily worse but I would not let it beat me. I finished in absolute agony at wait for it..................3.15.01 if I had been a second quicker it would have moved me up a corral at Disney.
I will be ready to go training again at the end of the week as I feel sore in that leg but nowhere else, I will just rest it for a couple of days and then the mileage really ranks up.
Well that sounds rough! I am glad you guys are OK relatively speaking. Its always a scary sight when you see someone fall out or get dizzy, etc. When we ran the Pittsburgh Half a few years ago, somone passed out at mile 12 and eventually died--its very scary.
I saw a lady at WDW Full two years ago that had trouble standing---I remember thinking---I hope shes OK.

Well, rest up because its about to get crazy with the mileage isnt it? Keep us posted on the training runs!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Sounds like you both had a great run under the circumstances Sleepy90! Will you and Joe90 run together since it sounds like you would be in different starting corrals if you don't advance before WDW or do you each prefer to run at your own pace? I hope your leg is right as rain soon!

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Sun 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Today was our first substantial back to back runs as per the goofy training.
5 yesterday and 15 today. We really rolled it today!!
It was perfect running weather...58F, overcast and a slight mist every so often.
I would suspect that's why we ran so fast and felt so good. Lol.

Anyone else been running?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Thu 16, 2014 9:22 am

Ahhh I'm super bummed because I REALLY wanted to get into a run this winter to motivate me to get my butt in gear to start running again! I had a baby 3 months ago and haven't been able to run for quite a while, especially post-baby, and I really needed a Disney run to motivate me! I can't wait until next year. :-(

I'm so jealous of all of you training for your Disney runs! Good luck!!!

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Oct Thu 16, 2014 11:21 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Its always a scary sight when you see someone fall out or get dizzy, etc. When we ran the Pittsburgh Half a few years ago, somone passed out at mile 12 and eventually died--its very scary.
I ran the PGH 1/2 that same year. The runner collapsed during the long climb up the Blvd. of the Allies near the end of the course. It turned out he had a previously un-diagnosed genetic heart disorder. So scary...

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Oct Sun 19, 2014 10:04 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Today was our first substantial back to back runs as per the goofy training.
5 yesterday and 15 today. We really rolled it today!!
It was perfect running weather...58F, overcast and a slight mist every so often.
I would suspect that's why we ran so fast and felt so good. Lol.

Anyone else been running?
Nice to see someone on track for January :D
I have been out for three weeks trying to recover from that half, I thought I was ready to try a three yesterday so set off. I actually did five and felt ok until I stopped, long story short that leg was not ready :roll: this is going to take more time that I have not got : :( still I will keep going and see what happens.
Joe on the other hand is well on track he ran 18miles yesterday at 3.10 and looks like he could go again today :goofy_bounce:
Do you and your wife run during the week or just at weekends. We normally do five every other day and then the larger run at the weekends.

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Oct Sun 19, 2014 10:46 am

Amy wrote:Sounds like you both had a great run under the circumstances Sleepy90! Will you and Joe90 run together since it sounds like you would be in different starting corrals if you don't advance before WDW or do you each prefer to run at your own pace? I hope your leg is right as rain soon!
The plan is to do the 5k and the 10k together and then we will do the other two separately. Joe is much faster and will be well ahead off my corral.
This is all assuming that this leg holds out.