Running and Walking Tips

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

New runner needs a pair of shoes!

Post by cy1229 » Nov Thu 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Howdy.

No, I'm not at the point I'm going to run. I'm posting on behalf of my hubby, who could come and post this under his own account but why bother if I can do it that much faster. :)

His group at work is going to do a 5k together in the spring. Jeff says he's going to run, he's not going to walk. He doesn't even walk much, so there's that. Anyway, he told me he needs to get a pair of running shoes, which he indeed does need. I told him he should be fitted for them. Right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: New runner needs a pair of shoes!

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 20, 2014 9:04 pm

cy1229 wrote:Howdy.

No, I'm not at the point I'm going to run. I'm posting on behalf of my hubby, who could come and post this under his own account but why bother if I can do it that much faster. :)

His group at work is going to do a 5k together in the spring. Jeff says he's going to run, he's not going to walk. He doesn't even walk much, so there's that. Anyway, he told me he needs to get a pair of running shoes, which he indeed does need. I told him he should be fitted for them. Right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I would guess with him not being a runner, he should probably go to a shoe store and get measured. I know New Balance are popular with a lot of runners, and are indeed what the RunDisney races offer, I believe my brother that does the triathlons also wears Newton Running shoes. If Mr.cy1229 (does he have a forum name??) has a normal gait and no arch concerns, comfort, as well as proper support, is probably the best indicator for the best shoe for him. Good for him being up to the challenge. I just don't think I have it in me to run. Tried it a few times, didn't like it or stick with it :roll: Water sports are more my thing, but you never hear much about those competitive snorkeling/underwater picture taking challenges anymore ;)

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Nov Sat 22, 2014 7:35 am

cy1229 wrote:Howdy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Yes Cy, he should go get fitted. They look at everything not just feet size. Gait, pronation, etc etc
He won't regret it especially if he gets into running crazy like we did. (And then in turn uses races as excuses to go to wdw like we do ;) )

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Nov Sat 22, 2014 4:43 pm

I agree with my siblings and suggest that he gets professionally fitted for shoes. However, it could be a lengthy process depending on what type of person you get. So, if he wants to avoid that, I suggest he go to roadrunnersports.com and do the shoe dog to find several options. Then he can just go to the running store and try on a few of them.

Then get hooked...