New to running. Old to Disney.

Running and Walking Tips

Moderator: Moderators

Pfeigelman
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

New to running. Old to Disney.

Post by Pfeigelman » May Tue 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Years ago when I first got an iPad, 2011-ish, I discovered a run/walk app with training voice over by some runner named Jeff Galloway. I was surprised how easy it was to run...on a treadmill. When I stopped going to the gym, no treadmill--> no running. Years later, November 2015, my wife, son, and I took a random trip to Disneyland. Last time we went they were still painting the Radiator Springs rocks. Anyway, it was Marvel Marathon Weekend. I was so impressed with everything. The organization, the costumes, the medals. And how surprised I was to find that the Patron Saint of Disney Running was my old e-coach, Jeff Galloway! :P The universe was talking to me. Shortly after we got home, I downloaded the 5k trainer, and hit the streets. Now I'm on the 10k trainer. I did a 7k last weekend. And I have tickets to do the the 5 and 10 on Labor Day. I'm very excited to do something new that I'm loving at a place I have always loved.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: New to running. Old to Disney.

Post by Amy » May Tue 31, 2016 7:02 pm

That's awesome Pfeigelman ~ glad you found your groove again!

Pfeigelman
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Pfeigelman » Jun Wed 01, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks, Amy!

SInce this is the Tips forum, I'll leave a tip for noobs from a noob:
I found this Stick thing at a running store that is the best device since they invented stretching. You can use it on any part of your body that needs to get oxygen flowing. It massages, tones, gets the knots out, and if you just like pain, its great for that too. I have found it a miracle for keeping shin splints away. I attack my calf muscles with it before and after a run.

I also like $45 leg sleeves...and Tylenol.

Paul

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 01, 2016 5:50 am

Pfeigelman wrote:Thanks, Amy!

SInce this is the Tips forum, I'll leave a tip for noobs from a noob:
I found this Stick thing at a running store that is the best device since they invented stretching. You can use it on any part of your body that needs to get oxygen flowing. It massages, tones, gets the knots out, and if you just like pain, its great for that too. I have found it a miracle for keeping shin splints away. I attack my calf muscles with it before and after a run.

I also like $45 leg sleeves...and Tylenol.

Paul
Both my older brothers are athletes. I am not. I remember mentioning how nice the foam roller looked the one time one of them were using it, and they rolled their eyes and informed me it was more of a necessary torture device :lol: I think they both own one of those stick things as well. I'll stick with walking. I'll get where I'm going, just not quite as fast as y'all running by me. Even when I was in my top prime condition, I was almost trampled at DL when they did the rope drop on Main Street, and I was walking as fast as my short little legs could go! I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be first in line, and that just has to be ok.

Pfeigelman
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Pfeigelman » Jun Wed 01, 2016 11:43 pm

At least we can agree on the Tylenol. :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 02, 2016 6:46 am

Pfeigelman wrote:At least we can agree on the Tylenol. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Martr152
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Martr152 » Dec Wed 13, 2017 10:17 pm

When I decided to embark on my running adventure one of the first things I purchased was Body Glide for chaffing and the relief pain balm. Since I travel for work and sometimes have those less than fun days with flight delays and such I have found the products are great for all year round so I keep it in my suitcase. It is also nice when at the parks for fun.