2015 Walt Disney World Marathon

Upcoming events and meet ups

Moderator: Moderators

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

2015 Walt Disney World Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Apr Fri 18, 2014 4:49 pm

OK all you SSR runners and runner wannabes, we are now less than 1 week from the opening of registration for the 2015 WWD marathon events. Who is in? Who is out? Who is still on the fence? Who is still on the couch? If you are in, which events will you be registering for and why?
I began my thought process for 2015 on the day I finished the 2014 marathon. I have reached my conclusion, and unless I change my mind in the next few day, this is my reasoning and hopefully the end result:
Over the last several years I have run every distance that WDW offers except the ToT 10 Miler. I have also run the combination events such as the Goofey Challenge and the Dopey Challenge. For that reason I do not feel the need to prove to myself that I can still run such events even now at age 52. After running multiple marathons I feel free to say...the last 5-6 miles of a marathon for me are no fun at all. For that reason I am going to skip the marathon for the first time in several years. After running the 5k this past year and having to navigate all the families, children and walkers, it really is not worth the effort of getting up early and going through the process for a run that is over in less time than it takes to travel by bus from your hotel to the starting point. So for that reason I will pass on the 5k.
Which leaves the 10k and the half. I can run both of these events and actually enjoy them. For me, they are not too long, not too short...they are just right. So unless I have a change of heart, these will be the races that I register for this Tues the 22nd. Who else is in?

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon

Post by Joe90 » Apr Wed 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Dopey signed up for.

:goofy_bounce:

Why is there no Dopey smilie ? :mickey:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Apr Thu 24, 2014 7:52 am

Joe90 wrote:Dopey signed up for.

:goofy_bounce:

Why is there no Dopey smilie ? :mickey:

I am glad that you were able to get signed up for the Dopey. I sat down at the computer last Tuesday night around 9:00pm to register and found that several races were already "SOLD OUT". I had to fall back on plan "B" and sign up for the full rather than the half as I was planning. I was also able to get registered for the 10k as I had originally planned.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Apr Fri 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Glad to see you got nearly what you wanted cccmouse. :D

My plan was to do the Marathon. However I had such a hard time getting the time off work, my bosses had said no problem but when I put in the leave request they said NO to start with and then reconsidered as long as it was a one of deal.

So I am signed up for the Dopey. :shock:
If it is a one time only deal you just have to take it.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Apr Sat 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Glad to see you got nearly what you wanted cccmouse. :D

My plan was to do the Marathon. However I had such a hard time getting the time off work, my bosses had said no problem but when I put in the leave request they said NO to start with and then reconsidered as long as it was a one of deal.

So I am signed up for the Dopey. :shock:
If it is a one time only deal you just have to take it.
Good for you. I am glad that you were able to get signed up for the Dopey. I just do not remember there being such as rush to register in previous years. I was able to sign up for the Dopey last year and it seems like it was sometime in May before I even thought about registering.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Dec Fri 05, 2014 11:33 am

Figured I'd bump this up to the top since we're just over a month away. How's everyone's training going?

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Thu 11, 2014 10:03 am

zhoover wrote:Figured I'd bump this up to the top since we're just over a month away. How's everyone's training going?
Training is pretty much going as planned. This week is 5 runs of 1:45:00 which puts me a little over 50 miles for the week. This keeps me on schedule for 5 runs of 1:50:00 the week of the 14th, 5 runs of 1:55:00 the week of the 21st and 5 runs of 2 hours the week of the 28th. After that it will just be a couple of 3-5 mile runs early in the week of Jan 4.
I am experimenting with much more fueling during my runs. The plan is to fuel right out of the gate in both the half and full and continue fueling every 30 minutes.
Hopefully 50-60 mile weeks throughout the month of December and more and frequent fueling during the races will improve my times in both the half and the full this year. We'll see.

How is everyone else doing?

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Fri 12, 2014 4:20 pm

cccmouse wrote:
zhoover wrote:Figured I'd bump this up to the top since we're just over a month away. How's everyone's training going?
Training is pretty much going as planned. This week is 5 runs of 1:45:00 which puts me a little over 50 miles for the week. This keeps me on schedule for 5 runs of 1:50:00 the week of the 14th, 5 runs of 1:55:00 the week of the 21st and 5 runs of 2 hours the week of the 28th. After that it will just be a couple of 3-5 mile runs early in the week of Jan 4.
I am experimenting with much more fueling during my runs. The plan is to fuel right out of the gate in both the half and full and continue fueling every 30 minutes.
Hopefully 50-60 mile weeks throughout the month of December and more and frequent fueling during the races will improve my times in both the half and the full this year. We'll see.

How is everyone else doing?
Staying on target here...
We have one more back to back long run (probably 12 and 20). Pace has been great--if this keeps up and the marathon fairy shows up with good weather and a strong run, we should best last years time.
We feel great and are ready to run!

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Dec Sat 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Great to see everyone is on target :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce:

Joe is well on target and ready to rock and roll. I on the other hand am still carrying the injury that I received on the half that we did in October. I am doing walk and run 14 minute miles with a limp still but it is getting easier. Joe and I were talking about this earlier, he says just do what you can and we will see how it goes. I say the only way I will stop is if they cart me of the course. Can the mind overcome the body we will have to wait and see.

Good news though I am not in the back corral the second did not go against me. I am in O and Joe is in I. What corral are you guys in.

See you all in three weeks :goofy:

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Sun 14, 2014 9:09 am

Sleepy90 wrote:Great to see everyone is on target :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce:

Joe is well on target and ready to rock and roll. I on the other hand am still carrying the injury that I received on the half that we did in October. I am doing walk and run 14 minute miles with a limp still but it is getting easier. Joe and I were talking about this earlier, he says just do what you can and we will see how it goes. I say the only way I will stop is if they cart me of the course. Can the mind overcome the body we will have to wait and see.

Good news though I am not in the back corral the second did not go against me. I am in O and Joe is in I. What corral are you guys in.

See you all in three weeks :goofy:
I am in D for the 10k and J for the half and full. Anyone else check their corral placements yet?

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Sun 14, 2014 9:34 am

Both Mary an I are in L.

Hang in there Sleepy!! Nice and easy walk runs are fine and if you can maintain those 14 min miles you will finish in plenty of time. One step at a time. You got this. :)

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Dec Mon 15, 2014 9:37 am

I'm in "I." Been getting all of my training runs in, but have experienced a bit of knee discomfort since the Philly Marathon a few weeks ago. It might impact my time goal a bit, but since I've got the Rebel Challenge the weekend after the Goofy Challenge I'm not really planning to run for time anyway.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Fri 19, 2014 8:13 am

Anyone interested in trying to get together for a quick meet up maybe before the half? Out in the staging area before you go through the bag check there are large signs divided by letters of the alphabet, ( A-C, D-F, etc). We could try to meet up under the "S" sign for Subsonic in the 4:15 - 4:30 range. What do you think?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 19, 2014 8:56 am

cccmouse wrote:Anyone interested in trying to get together for a quick meet up maybe before the half? Out in the staging area before you go through the bag check there are large signs divided by letters of the alphabet, ( A-C, D-F, etc). We could try to meet up under the "S" sign for Subsonic in the 4:15 - 4:30 range. What do you think?
Oh, if you do, try to take a picture :D

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Dec Sun 21, 2014 2:35 pm

cccmouse wrote:Anyone interested in trying to get together for a quick meet up maybe before the half? Out in the staging area before you go through the bag check there are large signs divided by letters of the alphabet, ( A-C, D-F, etc). We could try to meet up under the "S" sign for Subsonic in the 4:15 - 4:30 range. What do you think?
Sounds good to me! And it works better because my last name is an S. :)
Let's do it!