Upcoming events and meet ups

Moderator: Moderators

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Local Non-Disney Events

Post by NaCler » Mar Sat 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Post your "other" races here.

I am currently signed up for the Gate River Run (15k) here in Jax on March 15.

A week later I am signed up for the Bainbridge Half Marathon in Bainbridge, GA on March 22.

I am thinking about doing the Tap N Run 4k on April 12 here in Jax. This is more of a fun run in which you are encouraged to wear costumes and they serve you beer throughout the course.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Local Non-Disney Events

Post by jrcohen » Mar Mon 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm currently signed up for the Austin 10/20 on April 13th. It's a 10 mile run with bands set up every 1/2 mile with local bands playing music to drive you along. They also have a headliner concert at the end, this year it's Puddle of Mudd (not sure how I feel about that). I'm running it with a friend, and my brother in law. I've been pushing them to train, but have been really lazy myself. We're hoping for a 1:40 or so finishing time. It's a great event, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone in central Texas.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Mar Mon 03, 2014 10:38 pm

I've heard Austin has some great races but that they are very hilly. Is this one like the Rock N Roll series of races?

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Mar Tue 04, 2014 12:30 pm

NaCler wrote:I've heard Austin has some great races but that they are very hilly. Is this one like the Rock N Roll series of races?
Austin races can be pretty hilly. That's one of the reasons I've never done the full marathon here, just the half. Although I will probably be doing it next February (Mile 9-19 is all uphil, but Mile 19-26 is all downhill).

I don't know if the 10/20 is a good comparison to the Rock N Roll series. I did the San Antonio marathon 2 years ago, which is part of the series, and they do have a headliner concert at the end, but I don't remember them having bands set up along the way. It is possible that they do that in other cities in the series though.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 26, 2014 1:26 pm

That 5k that I very briefly considered signing up for was in the news last night. I caught it in the middle of the story, but basically the man/group in charge of the event has an F from the better business bureau from cancelling events and not refunding money, along with other shady business practices, and it has become a big brouhaha ~ evidently they are allowing him to still put on the event in May but he has had to sign paperwork that he will give out refunds if the event is cancelled and they are watching him like a hawk. Sounds like a real mess! Gut instinct was correct on this one I guess ~ yay me :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Wed 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Amy wrote:That 5k that I very briefly considered signing up for was in the news last night. I caught it in the middle of the story, but basically the man/group in charge of the event has an F from the better business bureau from cancelling events and not refunding money, along with other shady business practices, and it has become a big brouhaha ~ evidently they are allowing him to still put on the event in May but he has had to sign paperwork that he will give out refunds if the event is cancelled and they are watching him like a hawk. Sounds like a real mess! Gut instinct was correct on this one I guess ~ yay me :D
Always trust your gut!

Always!

I mean it! Sometime, when we run out of positive things to talk about, I'll tell you my experiences ignoring my gut feeling and the heartache it caused me. Suffice it to say, TRUST YOUR GUT! :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 26, 2014 9:04 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:That 5k that I very briefly considered signing up for was in the news last night. I caught it in the middle of the story, but basically the man/group in charge of the event has an F from the better business bureau from cancelling events and not refunding money, along with other shady business practices, and it has become a big brouhaha ~ evidently they are allowing him to still put on the event in May but he has had to sign paperwork that he will give out refunds if the event is cancelled and they are watching him like a hawk. Sounds like a real mess! Gut instinct was correct on this one I guess ~ yay me :D
Always trust your gut!

Always!

I mean it! Sometime, when we run out of positive things to talk about, I'll tell you my experiences ignoring my gut feeling and the heartache it caused me. Suffice it to say, TRUST YOUR GUT! :lol:
:lol: Sounds like a good story behind that warning ~ maybe something good to discuss over a cup of tea some day! Mostly my head was telling my body it knows it isn't ready to pound the pavement in any fashion harder than walking at the moment, but it also helps to hear that there is something a bit sketchy about this event so I don't feel badly about not doing it...although I do hope it runs (haha) smoothly for those who have entered!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Tue 22, 2014 9:33 am

If you can make it to Indianapolis next weekend, the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon actually still had some spots available as of yesterday. This is a great event, 13.1 miles, and it's extremely rare to be able to register this late. If you're game, you should give it a shot.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sun 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Well it is that time of year again.

The race for life is on Sunday. Some of you know I run this 5k every year for cancer research and the list of people remembered on my back plate sadly just keeps getting longer. This year however is different I have company :ccat: :ccat: .
Last year I lost a young friend and this year his wife and daughter are coming with me along with my old boss. This year it is a walk not a run as they are not runners. We intend to have fun with this one and then I will go home and do a training run.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Well it is that time of year again.

The race for life is on Sunday. Some of you know I run this 5k every year for cancer research and the list of people remembered on my back plate sadly just keeps getting longer. This year however is different I have company :ccat: :ccat: .
Last year I lost a young friend and this year his wife and daughter are coming with me along with my old boss. This year it is a walk not a run as they are not runners. We intend to have fun with this one and then I will go home and do a training run.
Sorry for the loss of your friend, but that is so great that his wife and daughter will be accompanying you this year. Hopefully they will have some new fun memories in his honor after this walk/run.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Sun 13, 2014 1:36 pm

I've started to set up all of my runs for next season already. I have a half marathon I've signed up for in the middle of October out in the hill country. It's in Marble Falls, a bit outside of Austin. I'm working on training a friend at work to make this her first half marathon, She's almost up to four miles a run and just started about a month and a half ago. After that I am signed up for the Houston half in January, and the Austin Full in February. I may have time for one more event, but have to get healthy and faster first.

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Sun 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Three weeks out from the Windsor 1/2 marathon. It is one of the nicest 1/2 marathons in the country, it runs through Windsor Great Park and starts and ends on the long mile with Windsor castle in the background.

Just one major problem it is also one with big hills :roll:

This is the one that will give us our corral positions at Disney. Ah well nothing ventured nothing gained.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Three weeks out from the Windsor 1/2 marathon. It is one of the nicest 1/2 marathons in the country, it runs through Windsor Great Park and starts and ends on the long mile with Windsor castle in the background.

This is the one that will give us our corral positions at Disney. Ah well nothing ventured nothing gained.
Getting close to that race aren't you? Are you all ready to go? The scenery sounds lovely, the hills not so much. Good luck!! :goofy_bounce:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Tue 09, 2014 7:10 am

Sleepy90 wrote:Three weeks out from the Windsor 1/2 marathon. It is one of the nicest 1/2 marathons in the country, it runs through Windsor Great Park and starts and ends on the long mile with Windsor castle in the background.

It took me a minute to realize you are NOT talking about Windsor, Ontario, Canada. :lol: :lol: :lol: I grew up very near the wrong Windsor so it's what I think of first when I see "Windsor." :)

Hope you have a good run Sleepy90!!

Edit: This was missing a connecting thought. Windsor, Ontario, is in a relatively flat part of Canada. Southern Ontario isn't a pancake, but it's not hilly, either. Thus I was like "what hills?" :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Sun 14, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

We did a ten mile run yesterday, everything went fine so we are ready and able :ccat: :ccat: :ccat:
WILLING!!!!!!!!!!! Well I suppose so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just hope the weather cooperates this year, it was stinking hot last year.