Inaugural WDW Star Wars 1/2 Marathon

Upcoming events and meet ups

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Inaugural WDW Star Wars 1/2 Marathon

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Good luck getting to packet pick-up in time zhoover ~ hopefully things are running smoothly and you get there with plenty of time to spare!
Nice costume! Did you make that yourself?
I'm all for watching this event on a live cam now ~ I'm really hoping someone jumps in and starts swimming :lol:
Psst ~ I'd be more worried about gators rather than amoebas :shock:

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Apr Mon 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Amy wrote:Did you make that yourself?
Goodness, no. My contribution toward the costume was (a) thinking of it, (b) buying the fabric, (c) giving it to a friend who knows what they're doing.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 11, 2016 2:19 pm

zhoover wrote:
Amy wrote:Did you make that yourself?
Goodness, no. My contribution toward the costume was (a) thinking of it, (b) buying the fabric, (c) giving it to a friend who knows what they're doing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well done on the planning and having it made then ~ looks great!

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Wed 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Amy wrote:Well done on the planning and having it made then ~ looks great!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this race!

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Apr Wed 20, 2016 6:23 am

zhoover wrote:
Amy wrote:Well done on the planning and having it made then ~ looks great!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this race!
I looked for you out there (and in the water :lol: ) but I didn't see any Star Tours costumes--so great job on that and for being original.
I saw a lot of cool costumes (and some not so much...) I even saw a Matt the Radar Tech in the corral with us and I thought it was ingenious...until I saw 4 more. Wow!!! Who knew?

What was your take on the course? As suspected, the first few miles were bottleneck city! I liked the photo ops along the way.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Thu 21, 2016 3:40 pm

I saw LOADS of Matt the Radar Techs! I still give it credit - it was such a good idea that everyone had it. My costume worked well from a performance standpoint, and got a lot of love from the cast members and volunteers. Even got a shout out from Carissa as I finished - that's a first for me!

Course was great - the highlight for me was World Showcase. It was dark and quiet aside from the music, sound effects and shoes. Made a little recording on my phone so I could remember: https://youtu.be/RL9WLwzarts. Best bit was the BB-8 appearance as I neared France!

I also enjoyed the video screens on Osceola Parkway showing lightsaber duels, the stormtroopers in Animal Kingdom, and the dirt path into ESPN. As I predicted, I killed it for the first two miles of the race to try to beat people onto the narrow path, but it wasn't crowded at all and really slowed me down for the last couple of miles (another culprit may have been a few too many beers at YeHaa Bob the night before...).

In a few years time they'll be able to route us through Star Wars Land - how cool with that be???

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Very cool ~ good idea recording a bit of the music during the run to remember later!

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Apr Wed 27, 2016 11:24 am

I also loved running through the World Showcase. I was in corral C, so a bunch of the corrals were still being sent off as we were running through Epcot. I paused to get a picture of Spaceship Earth from Japan, and just as I did, fireworks for one of the corral starts were going off behind the giant golf ball. It was pretty awesome.

Also, seeing the 501st both Saturday and Sunday during the races was awesome. Great for them to be out in force... get it? Got a bunch of cool pics with them.

And the medals... Great swag
https://goo.gl/photos/EUMmbTaadEPaSUMEA
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 27, 2016 11:30 am

jrcohen wrote:I also loved running through the World Showcase. I was in corral C, so a bunch of the corrals were still being sent off as we were running through Epcot. I paused to get a picture of Spaceship Earth from Japan, and just as I did, fireworks for one of the corral starts were going off behind the giant golf ball. It was pretty awesome.

Also, seeing the 501st both Saturday and Sunday during the races was awesome. Great for them to be out in force... get it? Got a bunch of cool pics with them.

And the medals... Great swag
https://goo.gl/photos/EUMmbTaadEPaSUMEA
Wow ~ that is some nice neck bling there ~ well earned I'm sure!

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Wed 27, 2016 12:36 pm

jrcohen wrote:I was in corral C, so a bunch of the corrals were still being sent off as we were running through Epcot. I paused to get a picture of Spaceship Earth from Japan, and just as I did, fireworks for one of the corral starts were going off behind the giant golf ball. It was pretty awesome.
I was in C too, and also loved hearing the fireworks go off for the other corrals through World Showcase. Have you ever considered (or have you already done) the West Coast Star Wars races? They're a real blast - registrationwilling, 2017 will be my third year running. I hope to make it my legacy race for the foreseeable future.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Apr Wed 27, 2016 1:17 pm

zhoover wrote:
jrcohen wrote:I was in corral C, so a bunch of the corrals were still being sent off as we were running through Epcot. I paused to get a picture of Spaceship Earth from Japan, and just as I did, fireworks for one of the corral starts were going off behind the giant golf ball. It was pretty awesome.
I was in C too, and also loved hearing the fireworks go off for the other corrals through World Showcase. Have you ever considered (or have you already done) the West Coast Star Wars races? They're a real blast - registrationwilling, 2017 will be my third year running. I hope to make it my legacy race for the foreseeable future.

I considered it once I saw the Kessel Run medal. Dang, I want one of those. :)
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Thu 28, 2016 1:57 pm

jrcohen wrote:I considered it once I saw the Kessel Run medal. Dang, I want one of those. :)
It is tied with the 20th Anniversary Marathon Medal for the coolest I've earned. I wrote a guest blog recap of the West Coast vs. East Coast Star Wars halves that I *think* will be posted on runningatdisney.com tomorrow. I'll post the link here once it is online!

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Fri 29, 2016 11:08 am

zhoover wrote:I wrote a guest blog recap of the West Coast vs. East Coast Star Wars halves that I *think* will be posted on runningatdisney.com tomorrow. I'll post the link here once it is online!
It's up: http://runningatdisney.com/2016/04/29/a ... challenge/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 29, 2016 4:44 pm

zhoover wrote:
zhoover wrote:I wrote a guest blog recap of the West Coast vs. East Coast Star Wars halves that I *think* will be posted on runningatdisney.com tomorrow. I'll post the link here once it is online!
Very nice ~ thanks for sharing :D

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » May Sun 01, 2016 2:37 pm

zhoover wrote:
Love it!! Thanks for the recap. :)