Upcoming events and meet ups

Moderator: Moderators

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Inaugural WDW Star Wars 1/2 Marathon

Post by jrcohen » Sep Tue 22, 2015 11:34 am

http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/

I just signed up for the Dark Side Challenge! Is anyone else going to do this one?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: Inaugural WDW Star Wars 1/2 Marathon

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Wed 23, 2015 9:10 am

jrcohen wrote:http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/

I just signed up for the Dark Side Challenge! Is anyone else going to do this one?
We are doing Tink in May so we decided it was too close to do this as well...
I cannot believe that an inaugural Star Wars race is still only 50%!

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Sep Wed 23, 2015 9:37 am

jrcohen wrote:I just signed up for the Dark Side Challenge! Is anyone else going to do this one?
I'm VERY jealous! I'm doing the Rebel Challenge in January, but we're expecting a baby two weeks before the Florida version. I'm (hopefully) there in 2017, though!

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Thu 10, 2016 3:03 pm

OK I am doing the half for sure---no challenges or anything.

Anyone besides me and jrcohen running this thing? I assume the course will be the same old half course like Jan and Princess?

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Fri 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Contrary to my post above, I signed up for the half when they re-opened registration a few weeks ago. I'm really interested in the course for this one - I've read that it starts at Epcot but ends at ESPN. Maybe a reverse Wine & Dine course, but I can't imagine they'd have us running on the path in-between the Boardwalk and the 'Studios that early in race. It would be jammers!

I'm flying down the 16th, running the 17th and flying back that evening. Gonna be a quick turnaround, but I can't wait.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Mon 14, 2016 9:27 am

zhoover wrote:Contrary to my post above, I signed up for the half when they re-opened registration a few weeks ago. I'm really interested in the course for this one - I've read that it starts at Epcot but ends at ESPN. Maybe a reverse Wine & Dine course, but I can't imagine they'd have us running on the path in-between the Boardwalk and the 'Studios that early in race. It would be jammers!

I'm flying down the 16th, running the 17th and flying back that evening. Gonna be a quick turnaround, but I can't wait.
Yes, I saw that it ends at ESPN--its killing me not knowing the course. I agree--there's no way it can be a reverse W&D. I guess soon enough we will know.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Mon 14, 2016 11:48 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Yes, I saw that it ends at ESPN--its killing me not knowing the course. I agree--there's no way it can be a reverse W&D.
Just spent my lunch break looking at Google Maps - if we go through Epcot, then do part of the loop around the Boardwalk, I suppose they could drop us onto Epcot Resorts Blvd. somewhere past the Swan. If we made a right onto that road, we'd go all the way around past the Dolphin, past the Yacht and Beach Clubs, then under the water bridge by the Epcot International Gateway - that would be cool. Then into the 'Studios parking lot to make up some distance before going into that Park. Exit the 'Studios by Tower of Terror, then down to Osceola and we just might get to 13.1 if they send us around the playing fields at ESPN a la the Marathon course. Dunno - gonna be interesting!!! Really excited to get that Kessel Run medal...

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Sat 19, 2016 7:56 am

Did you see the course yet? Third mile of the half along the boardwalk path is going to be interesting crowd-wise!

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Mon 21, 2016 10:44 am

zhoover wrote:Did you see the course yet? Third mile of the half along the boardwalk path is going to be interesting crowd-wise!

I did---I am not too pleased.
You are absolutely right--there will be a mess on that path between Boardwalk and DHS. Think about how bad the narrow part gets on the back of MK during the January half--and that's at mile 6 or so. Runners are usually more spread out by then.

I just don't know....

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 21, 2016 1:12 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
zhoover wrote:Did you see the course yet? Third mile of the half along the boardwalk path is going to be interesting crowd-wise!

I did---I am not too pleased.
You are absolutely right--there will be a mess on that path between Boardwalk and DHS. Think about how bad the narrow part gets on the back of MK during the January half--and that's at mile 6 or so. Runners are usually more spread out by then.

I just don't know....
So does this anticipated "jam up" on the Boardwalk change your strategy? Will you go out hard to get ahead of people and then back off, or start slowly to be behind the crowd and speed up after that, or what? Maybe you should fashion a "cow catcher" like was on the old steam engines out of pool noodles. :lol:

No, don't do that. Wait, do it, threaten to use it, and then tell the CM you're just kidding. Mostly. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Mar Wed 23, 2016 7:31 am

cy1229 wrote:Wait, do it, threaten to use it, and then tell the CM you're just kidding. Mostly. :lol:
Ha! I guess my strategy will depend on my corral. I signed up when they briefly reopened registration in February, which was past the deadline for submitting a time. Accordingly, I may be in the last corral, and if I can't beg/borrow/steal a better assignment at the expo, I'll try to speed through the first two miles, then suffer through walking most of that portion of the race. Maybe I'll stop by the Belle Vue for a Manhattan?

Or I'll swim.

How about you?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 24, 2016 5:02 pm

zhoover wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Wait, do it, threaten to use it, and then tell the CM you're just kidding. Mostly. :lol:
Ha! I guess my strategy will depend on my corral. I signed up when they briefly reopened registration in February, which was past the deadline for submitting a time. Accordingly, I may be in the last corral, and if I can't beg/borrow/steal a better assignment at the expo, I'll try to speed through the first two miles, then suffer through walking most of that portion of the race. Maybe I'll stop by the Belle Vue for a Manhattan?

Or I'll swim.

How about you?
I like the swimming strategy, especially if it's quite warm.

My strategy is don't run. You should ask WWDRH for his. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Apr Mon 11, 2016 6:29 am

Its almost time!

My strategy will depend on how bad it gets jammed up on that part between Boardwalk and DHS. :)
I am in the same boat, zhoover, I have no time submitted so I will be in L. L for last :lol:

I do like the idea of swimming--if you see someone in there--its me :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Mon 11, 2016 12:25 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Its almost time!

My strategy will depend on how bad it gets jammed up on that part between Boardwalk and DHS. :)
I am in the same boat, zhoover, I have no time submitted so I will be in L. L for last :lol:

I do like the idea of swimming--if you see someone in there--its me :D
My concern with swimming would be the brain-eating amoebas that are found in warm climates in stagnant water. Don't know if that water would classify as stagnant but last look at a map it doesn't really drain and flow to anywhere.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Apr Mon 11, 2016 12:45 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:I am in the same boat, zhoover, I have no time submitted so I will be in L. L for last
Somehow - and I honestly don't understand it because I submitted my time weeks after the deadline - I wound up in C. Not going to complain. Now my challenge will be making it to packet pick-up on Saturday before it closes at 4 - I get into Orlando at 1 and am relying on Disney's Magical Express and event transportation from Port Orleans.
cy1229 wrote:My concern with swimming would be the brain-eating amoebas that are found in warm climates in stagnant water. Don't know if that water would classify as stagnant but last look at a map it doesn't really drain and flow to anywhere.
I believe my Star Tours Cast Member running costume will awesomely defend me from all single-celled brain-eaters. I'm swimming even if it isn't crowded 'twixt the Boardwalk and the 'Studios...