Firehouse Five Plus Two

Request files to be added to/removed from the playlist

Moderator: Moderators

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Firehouse Five Plus Two

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Mon 11, 2005 11:02 am

I love the tracks of the Firehouse Five Plus Two. Subsonic, I was wondering what album these tracks are from, as I know some of their work is for sale on Amazon. I know "Ja-Da" was from their Live at Disneyland album, but what about this track:

disneyland - main street - firehouse five plus two - bourbon street

Is "Bourbon Street" the real title?

Thanks for your expertise!

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Mon 11, 2005 11:25 am

Haha, my expertise?

I don't know if it's the correct name. Someone sent this track to me.

Some expertise huh?
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Mon 11, 2005 11:53 am

Well... er... Thanks anyway.

Does anyone else out there have greater "expertise" than subsonic and myself on this topic?

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:20 pm

WEBmikey wrote:The Firehouse Five Plus Two is so amazing because the band is made up of amateur musicians who loved 20s and 30s hot jazz and just wanted to play it - and also just happened to be some of Disney's top animators, including several of the famous "Nine Old Men"! I've never really taken the time to listen to this style of music closely before, and I have to say that it really grows on you! It's fascinating to hear trombone, trumpet and clarinet all soloing like crazy, with tuba playing the bass and piano and banjo plunking out the chord structure (backed by lots of snare rolls, of course). This two CD set covers tons of wonderful material, but for me, the best part is thinking of these fantastically creative guys truly having a good time and playing for excited crowds at Disneyland!
JACK WADSWORTH bass saxophone/arranger. wrote:JACK WADSWORTH is now retired from Disney Studios where for many years he was the head of the music editing department. While there, he had long been a part of the noon jam session tradition instituted by THE FIREHOUSE FIVE + TWO. He is equally proficient on banjo, guitar, piano, string bass and all of the saxes. He also wrote many of the arrangements for the GREAT PACIFIC JAZZ BAND.

Through the years Jack worked with many traditional jazz bands in the Southern California area, including a stint with PETE DAILY's CHICAGOANS. His astounding soloing technique on the bass sax made him an audience favorite, especially on his show-stoppers, "SAXOPHOBIA" and "THE WILD CAT BLUES".

Jack has a seemingly endless list of credits as a music editor and music supervisor for television and film productions beginning with the original ZORRO TV shows from 1957 to 1959, and including 14 years with the TV series, "THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY".

Jack now divides his time between Hawaii, Washington state and Los Angeles. He is currently playing with local groups in eastern Washington state and plays Dixieland jazz festivals from Montana to California.
ImageImageImage

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Here is some more info
Firehouse Five Plus Two wrote:Discography

Most Popular albums

1958 Dixieland Favorites

Album
2002 Sweet Georgia Brown
1966 Twenty Years Later
1964 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Goes to a Fire
1962 At Disneyland
1958 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Crashes a Party
1958 Dixieland Favorites
1957 The Around the World!
1957 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Goes to Sea
1955 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Plays for Lovers
1954 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Goes South
1950 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Story

Box Set/Compilation
2000 Les Incontournables
1958 16 Dixieland Favorites
1949 The Firehouse Five Plus Two Story

Video
2003 Swing Era

Also Appears On
1998 World of Dixieland, Vol. 2
1993 The Best of Dixieland [ZYX]
1980 Video Yesteryear
1938 Good Time Jazz Story

Create Firehouse Five Plus Two MP3s from these CDs with MUSICMATCH Jukebox Plus! Click here.

BIOGRAPHY The Firehouse Five Plus Two started out as an amateur Dixieland band mostly comprised of cartoon animators from the Disney Studios. Their spontaneous sessions (led by trombonist Ward Kimball) were so successful that they started recording for Good Time Jazz in 1949 and soon became a popular attraction, while never giving up their day jobs...
more

Timeline
Formed:
Disbanded:
Related Styles
Dixieland Revival, Dixieland
Hope that this will help you find what you want

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Mon 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Wow!!! :D Thanks for the tremendous amount of info, eagle4life69!

I'm sure that I'll find what I'm looking for with all this to search through. Brilliant!

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Apr Mon 11, 2005 2:06 pm

no problem glad to be of help

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re:

Post by Brian845 » Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:25 am

kgmadorin wrote:Wow!!! :D Thanks for the tremendous amount of info, eagle4life69!

I'm sure that I'll find what I'm looking for with all this to search through. Brilliant!
Did you ever find out if "Bourbon Street" is the real name of the song? I'd love to own it, but it doesn't seem to be available from Amazon.com.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Re:

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:28 am

Brian845 wrote:
kgmadorin wrote:Wow!!! :D Thanks for the tremendous amount of info, eagle4life69!
Did you ever find out if "Bourbon Street" is the real name of the song? I'd love to own it, but it doesn't seem to be available from Amazon.com.
I found this http://www.songarea.com/music-codes/bourbon_street.html that lists 37 different songs with Bourbon Street as part of their title. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for on there?

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:45 am

Amy wrote:
Brian845 wrote:
I found this http://www.songarea.com/music-codes/bourbon_street.html that lists 37 different songs with Bourbon Street as part of their title. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for on there?
I'm going to spend some time on Grooveshark today, since they have quite a few of their songs. If I find it under an alternate title I'll post it here. It's a great song...RUMBA!:)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:55 am

Brian845 wrote:I'm going to spend some time on Grooveshark today, since they have quite a few of their songs. If I find it under an alternate title I'll post it here. It's a great song...RUMBA!:)
The two Bourbon Street songs I saw most asssociated with Firehouse Five when I did a little searching this morning seemed to be "Marching Down Bourbon Street" and "Bourbon Street Parade"

Brian845

Re: Firehouse Five Plus Two

Post by Brian845 » Jun Thu 09, 2011 10:41 am

I found those too, but if you follow the links they end up being by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and not Firehouse Five Plus Two. The mystery continues!:)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Brian845 wrote:I found those too, but if you follow the links they end up being by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and not Firehouse Five Plus Two. The mystery continues!:)
Yeah, I did notice that. If I have some time at the library between lessons tomorrow I'll try to do a little more digging!

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Jun Tue 14, 2011 10:52 am

I haven't found anything, even after listening to all the previews of their albums on Amazon.

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 11:34 am

Ok, I finally found it! It's actually called "St. Louis Blues" and is on their semi-eponymous album "The Firehouse Five Plus Two Story". I'll have to buy that album I think:)