Epic Mickey for wii

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Tue 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Anyone playing or has played epic mickey for wii? :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Epic Mickey for wii

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 10, 2012 5:11 pm

We don't have a Wii, otherwise I probably would have it!

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Wed 11, 2012 6:06 am

Amy wrote:We don't have a Wii, otherwise I probably would have it!
sometimes,I wish I didn't have a wii..lol!!! It's a fun game but it's HARD,at least it is for me.I don't normally play video games but I made my husband help me find this one on black Friday.We went all over town looking and finally found it for 15.00.I'm hooked on the silly thing but I'm slowly playing it.I haven't made it through all the way once yet...I'll get there!! :mickey:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Wed 11, 2012 2:19 pm

We looked at it, but decided not to get it. The artwork just seems creepy. Yeah, I know Mickey was more "edgy" in his original incarnation, but we prefere the more modern look to him. But if you really love the game, it must be good. Do you really recommend it? If so, why?

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Jul Thu 12, 2012 10:25 am

I maybe get it next month and I will get Epic Mickey for the 3DS when it will be released this winter. In the past I spent my budget for videogames for 3DS Games.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 3:07 pm

I played it, I wish they didn't axe the PS3/360 versions though. I would have liked to see it in HD.

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Fri 13, 2012 8:52 am

Mousekedude wrote:We looked at it, but decided not to get it. The artwork just seems creepy. Yeah, I know Mickey was more "edgy" in his original incarnation, but we prefere the more modern look to him. But if you really love the game, it must be good. Do you really recommend it? If so, why?
Im not a big fan of Mickey's darker side either but he's actually trying to save toon town and restore the damage that has been done. It's a well written story for the game,it sets it up nicely. I don't really play video games, so my opinion probably doesn't count,as this is the first game I'm trying to play all the way through.I find it challenging and you can get different results with different actions chosen.You could play the game all the way through and go back and replay and have a different quest in each section.I've had to use a walkthrough in a couple of the sections ,my hubby says that's cheating!! If I hadn't ,I wouldn't have gotten through them.I'm only playing it on down time,so maybe once a week,so it's going to take me awhile to finish it,I'm not in a hurry though!!I'm about half way done. I'm addicted....usually am to anything involving the mouse!! :mickey:

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Dec Tue 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I finished Epic Mickey 3 times - to see the different endings. Once mixed, once with all paint, and once with all thinner. Never did collect all the pins, but I did get all the film reels.

I have purchased the sequel for PS3 (good bye crappy wiii graphics and terrible camera angles), but I'm trying not to open it until Christmas as it was a present to myself...I just finished Lego Lord of the Rings though so I may cave and start playing this week.

I'm disappointed that the sequel is a return to the dark version of DL (wasteland) instead of a creating a dark version of WDW's Magic Kingdom. They could've done a sequel for each park. I mean EPCOT would be ideal for the blotworks to invade. And AK would have been awesome, though a challenge since it has real animals and not animatronics but instead they took us back to DL. Recycling at its laziest.

But I'm looking forward to playing as Oswald and using his bunny ears like a helicopter. After Christmas I'll post a review if anyone wants one.
Last edited by JenMuse on Dec Wed 19, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Wed 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I almost bought the game for PS3 when it was on sale at Amazon...but ended up not getting it.

I also played Epic Mickey twice...once mixed (didn't know it changed the outcome)...and once with all paint. I never played it through with only thinner, but did see the ending on YouTube.

I'll try to get the game once the price comes back down as I have PS Move and would love to use it. I wish the game would involve more parks...but I can see why we only got a Wasteland that is a skewed version of Disneyland. It was created by Oswald back when Mickey was still young and Walt was still alive. Disneyland belonged to Mickey...in Oswald's eyes...so Wasteland was a place he could feel like was his. Oswald wouldn't really have any reasons to create alternate versions of the other Disney parks...but if he did...I wouldn't argue. I'd love to play games that involve the other parks as well.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Dec Wed 19, 2012 12:49 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I'll try to get the game once the price comes back down as I have PS Move and would love to use it. I wish the game would involve more parks...but I can see why we only got a Wasteland that is a skewed version of Disneyland. It was created by Oswald back when Mickey was still young and Walt was still alive. Disneyland belonged to Mickey...in Oswald's eyes...so Wasteland was a place he could feel like was his. Oswald wouldn't really have any reasons to create alternate versions of the other Disney parks...but if he did...I wouldn't argue. I'd love to play games that involve the other parks as well.
I don't have the PS move and am wondering if I'll want it after I start playing. My sibs are big time gamers and have the Gamestop ultra plan; so, I got Oswald Ears when I bought my copy. I only buy 2-3 games a year so I typically don't mind paying full price if the timing is right (and the bonus incentive is good enough, i.e. Oswald ears); although, I did pick up Lego Batman 2 a couple weeks after the release and saved $20.

I see your point about Oswald not having a reason, but I'm sure the storytellers could come up with a clever explanation. And maybe I'm remembering EM1 wrong, but Oswald didn't create wasteland, the Magician did (Oswald runs it though that is certain) - and the Magician would have no reason not to create more places for more forgotten toons...or dare I say forgotten attractions? I would love to play a level where I defend Kitchen Kabaret from Food Rocks then have them join together to defend their home against Soarin' or "If You Had Wings" from the evil emperor Zurg (although Buzz is definitely a massive improvement whereas Soarin' while great is kinda pushing it to fit thematically in The Land pavilion--I like Soarin' but I would have preferred it somewhere else: total oswald trail there).

Still I'm looking forward to playing...I think I'll open it Friday after work--close enough to Christmas!

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Dec Fri 21, 2012 7:02 pm

So I opened it last night...didn't get much play time though as friends kept calling to wish my happy holidays (and I was happy to catch up with them and so didn't rush to get back to playing).

I'm quite disappointed that in solo mode I can't play Oswald. As Mickey, I have to ask him to do stuff instead of just switching and doing it.

I'm terrible at aiming the paint/thinner with the standard PS controller. Hopefully that will improve. But since aiming is also the camera angle, it's pretty dang frustrating.

So there's my preliminary review...I'll write more after the holidays.

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Dec Wed 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I managed to squeeze in some play time and advanced decently far, but I'm not enjoying this one. It seems to have lost the charm of the original. Wasteland was clearly recognizable as a sad version of DL in the original. In this sequel, a series of earthquakes (how earthquakes can occur when the areas are floating islands is never adequately explained) has split all of the lands into sub areas and navigating between them is not at all as straightforward. And in other more subtle ways it no longer resembles DL.

The old comic filmstrips you had to play through to move from Mean Street to the lands in the original made a magical kind of sense in that you played through them forwards to get to a land and then backwards to get from that land back to Mean St. That conveyed a sense of movement & geography. In the sequel, you always start at the same point in the strip and move to the end. So it feels like you are going no where. Losing that sense of movement just makes the film strips seem like wastes of time. They also over complicated that transition by allowing you to change the routes through the comic, with certain goodies only being get-able in one path or the other with or without Oswald.

And speaking of Oswald, the AI behind him in solo mode is atrocious. He is at best slightly helpful, at most horribly annoying and detrimental to the task at hand. The game actually frustrated me into quitting early twice. He kills enemies I'd rather befriend and then refuses to help even though he's the only character who can engage with the object.

Also there are like 6 ways to move from Mean Street south to Mean Street north. Seems like a lot of developer time was spent devising these option yet it advances game play absolutely not at all. Just makes it more confusing.

It's also rather hard to tell what the rewards/punishments are for using paint versus thinner.

There is some good, I love the singing evil (possibly reformed) Doctor. The graphics for the PS3 are considerably improved from the Wii. The music is top notch (I think the music from the Gulch would be an awesome addition to this site, but have no idea how to get it).

In addition to collecting etickets, you also get bolts of cloth which you take to the mad hatter store to trade for costumes which affect your abilities. But they are pretty pricey and seem to be randomly hidden around wasteland so there's little incentive to buy them.

The original made me quite nostalgic for all things Disney and even prompted a visit to DL so I could compare the game to the park. This sequel almost makes me want to cancel my trip to WDW next month (ok, a little hyperbole there, but it definitely detracts from the magic of the Mouse).

Since I'm a hardcore Disney nerd (and a bit OCD when it comes to completing games), I'll probably finish the game and maybe try a second play through, but I can't recommend it to anyone. It's too much of a mess to be really enjoyable.

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Dec Fri 28, 2012 3:06 pm

JenMuse, I totally agree about the frustrating camera angles on wii in the first one!! I'm not finished with Epic Mickey yet, I'm slowly playing it when I can.I did get Epic Mickey 2 for wii and can't wait to start it.My husband says he'll help me in it,he'll be Oswald and I 'll be Mickey.I usually don't play games at all but HAD to get epic Mickey on black Friday last year.So.... it seemed kinda traditional to get the second one this black Friday!! :D I'm actually really enjoying the game minus the camera angles which make me sooooo frustrated!! wish i could devote more time to it but I stay busy ,in fact, i've been so busy this is my first post in at least a month!! Maybe it will slow down for me now after the hoildays!!! :)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by JenMuse » Dec Fri 28, 2012 4:24 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:JenMuse, I totally agree about the frustrating camera angles on wii in the first one!! I'm not finished with Epic Mickey yet, I'm slowly playing it when I can.I did get Epic Mickey 2 for wii and can't wait to start it.My husband says he'll help me in it,he'll be Oswald and I 'll be Mickey.I usually don't play games at all but HAD to get epic Mickey on black Friday last year.So.... it seemed kinda traditional to get the second one this black Friday!! :D I'm actually really enjoying the game minus the camera angles which make me sooooo frustrated!! wish i could devote more time to it but I stay busy ,in fact, i've been so busy this is my first post in at least a month!! Maybe it will slow down for me now after the hoildays!!! :)
I'm much more interested in strategy based board games than any other kind of game, but every now and then a video game title strikes my fancy (or hits me in my fandom dead center). Took me a pretty long time to finish EM three times...particularly since I don't own a wii; I had to borrow my sister's to play at all.

I ended up having to restart EM2...game saved in a spot where I couldn't move at all. No amount of button pressing seemed to work. So I am once again less than eagerly motivated to carry on...plus my January includes vacation so I doubt I will progress much beyond where I get on New Year's day.

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Dec Sat 29, 2012 9:14 am

JenMuse wrote:
brerrabbit1 wrote:JenMuse, I totally agree about the frustrating camera angles on wii in the first one!! I'm not finished with Epic Mickey yet, I'm slowly playing it when I can.I did get Epic Mickey 2 for wii and can't wait to start it.My husband says he'll help me in it,he'll be Oswald and I 'll be Mickey.I usually don't play games at all but HAD to get epic Mickey on black Friday last year.So.... it seemed kinda traditional to get the second one this black Friday!! :D I'm actually really enjoying the game minus the camera angles which make me sooooo frustrated!! wish i could devote more time to it but I stay busy ,in fact, i've been so busy this is my first post in at least a month!! Maybe it will slow down for me now after the hoildays!!! :)
I'm much more interested in strategy based board games than any other kind of game, but every now and then a video game title strikes my fancy (or hits me in my fandom dead center). Took me a pretty long time to finish EM three times...particularly since I don't own a wii; I had to borrow my sister's to play at all.

I ended up having to restart EM2...game saved in a spot where I couldn't move at all. No amount of button pressing seemed to work. So I am once again less than eagerly motivated to carry on...plus my January includes vacation so I doubt I will progress much beyond where I get on New Year's day.
I have to say,I'm alittle scared to start the 2nd one, after hearing you say you don't like it as much asthe first one.I actually like the way the game is mapped out in the first one.I think I'll feel the same way you do :mickey: about the 2nd one with the way it's mapped out.I like how the first one flows nicely together and you feel like you're actually moving around the map!!