Favorite Food - 2014 Food & Wine Festival

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Favorite Food - 2014 Food & Wine Festival

Post by Chuckus95 » Oct Wed 15, 2014 8:24 pm

We leave in three weeks for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. What is everyone's favorite food this year? I've checked the menus, and they look pretty much the same as last year. I'm just curious of what everyone is liking this year.

Thanks.

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Re: Favorite Food - 2014 Food & Wine Festival

Post by bcgm3 » Oct Wed 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Didn't like the escargot (France) as much as last year's, but still enjoyed it. The Bobotie (Africa) was awesome. The pork belly (Brazil) was very tasty, just wish there were more of it. Spanakopita (Greece) was pretty good. The lamb chop (Australia) and the filet mignon (Canada) were both decent-sized portions, and some of the best of the offerings this year, I think.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Oct Thu 23, 2014 8:47 am

Chuckus95 wrote:We leave in three weeks for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. What is everyone's favorite food this year?
I'll be down there the same weekend, but its our family's first time at Food and Wine. Any general suggestions or hints?

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Zillerzap » Oct Thu 23, 2014 12:49 pm

I will be there running in the food and wine 1/2 as well (my first half marathon). I love the Cheddar Cheese Soup in Canada. From past expierence on this race weekend, Wednesday & Thursday are not very crowded. Friday night is the first MVMCP at Magic Kingom which may thin out the crowd at Epcot a little. Saturday is race day so I would expect it not to be too bad for a Saturday, but Sunday is very crowded. Hope that helps.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Oct Fri 31, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on your first half marathon! It's my first time doing this particular race, and I've heard great things.

coasterj
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by coasterj » Oct Fri 31, 2014 11:45 am

The gratin is good in france if it is fresh i had it twice and it was good but once it had sat in a warmer too long and gotten super thick and grainy. Other than that the cheese bread in brazil is good, the apricot doughnut that replaces the strudel in germany is ok but really wish they still did strudel.
WDW CM Chef Assistant
Orlando Local for 8yrs

Chuckus95

Post by Chuckus95 » Nov Tue 04, 2014 9:09 am

zhoover wrote:
Chuckus95 wrote:We leave in three weeks for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. What is everyone's favorite food this year?
I'll be down there the same weekend, but its our family's first time at Food and Wine. Any general suggestions or hints?
If you are around any time before Friday, go F&WF. If not, my recommendation is to make sure to be at the ropes of World Showcase at 11:00 a.m. My experience is that as the day progresses (especially on Saturday and Sunday), more locals arrive, which in addition to the already large crowds because of the half marathon, making it very crowded.

Last year, I went at about 2:00 on Saturday afternoon while my wife and son took a nap. The parking lot was so crowded, I had to park in the grass over by the bus drop-off, and some areas of World Showcase were shoulder-to-shoulder.

Or, you could do like I do; have your spouse run in the half, and go to the after-party. After the Illuminations crowd clears out, you pretty much have the park to yourself. From about 9:30 on race night until about 11:30, our son and I walked around World Showcase twice (eating as we went).

I hope this helps.