Bye GAC Hello DAS

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Bye GAC Hello DAS

Post by Cardinals314 » Sep Tue 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Micechat today released info in the new Disabled Assistance Program. The new program will release on October 9th 2013 at Disneyland.

Summary: Guests will go to Guest Services to get a card (with photo ID) and then go to kiosks elsewhere in the park to make ride reservations. Like a Fastpass return time, less 10 or 15 min, the reservations allow you to not wait in line, but you will not be able to get more than one at once. You can get other types of Fastpasses during this time though. People may not qualify for the program if they are in wheelchairs at DCA (and maybe AK and DHS, since all have accessible queues?)
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Bye GAC Hello DAS

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Pretty much every ride on DLR property is accessible, with the exception of some walk through attractions and the submarines which have simulated versions. DCA is mostly accessible, but the only rides that have super long waits (Toy Story and RSR) have their own stations to dispatch riders so that they do not interrupt the flow, feel rushed, and also negate the need to build elevators.

I can't see it being useful during the slower times of the year though, since it would mean a longer wait for some rides vs just waiting in the traditional line.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 17, 2013 7:53 pm

The information I saw also indicates that the person being issued the pass will get their photo taken, and will have to be present at the kiosk and also at the attraction or no one will be allowed to ride via that access.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 17, 2013 8:59 pm

So basically, it is the exact same system as before but with a photo op? The key to the previously abused (but only in a minor number) system was that the people who had the passes went on with you.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:16 am

Wizzard419 wrote:So basically, it is the exact same system as before but with a photo op? The key to the previously abused (but only in a minor number) system was that the people who had the passes went on with you.
Not exactly. Instead of being able to ride any attraction, you have to get a return pass at one of the kiosks, and you can only hold one pass at a time. From what is being listed, the return time is based on the current wait time at the attraction, so it isn't really a fastpass either. The one advantage is that you could theoretically hold one of these return passes and then also get regular fastpasses for a different attraction. I think it will help cut down on the people using the system that don't really need to use GAC. And with more and more of the queues being handicapped accessible, I foresee this new system being changed in the future as well, although I think there will be a need for certain disabilities to simply have a return time, severe autism for an example.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Wed 18, 2013 4:55 pm

It takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing for the people who realy need the assistance. :evil:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Actually, it only takes a few bloggers to ruin it and then a morning talk show to do a segment, since people had been abusing the system for years/decades without any real issue. It is a waste of resources since you end up buying and installing an entire new system, spending time to document and train staff, and none of this will turn a profit. I wonder, if when it is slower, they will just not use the system at all. For example, if you were to go during the slow times, many of the rides are walk on or under 10 min wait.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Sep Wed 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I can see them turning the system off during slow times. And Wizz is right: people have been taking advantage of the system for a while, so why the change now? Maybe it just seemed easier for cast members (even if it isn't - we all know about "time savers" invented by well-meaning clods).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Actually, it only takes a few bloggers to ruin it and then a morning talk show to do a segment, since people had been abusing the system for years/decades without any real issue. It is a waste of resources since you end up buying and installing an entire new system, spending time to document and train staff, and none of this will turn a profit. I wonder, if when it is slower, they will just not use the system at all. For example, if you were to go during the slow times, many of the rides are walk on or under 10 min wait.
I'm sure they will tweak it as they go. Plus if the wait times are that low, people that require assistance probably will be fine with whatever queue they are directed to anyhow.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Actually that brings up a question, do they enforce the new FP return time rules now that it has entered the slow season? It really seems silly to do it now.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Actually that brings up a question, do they enforce the new FP return time rules now that it has entered the slow season? It really seems silly to do it now.
I would imagine so. It's kind of hard to retrain guests to follow the rules, allow them to not follow the rules for awhile, and then make them follow the rules again! Maybe one of our fellow subbers that makes it to the parks a lot *cough*cough*rdeacon*cough*cough can help us out with an answer to that question ;)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I am not actually sure if that rule is enforced at DLR or if it is WDW only, but the last time I used a FP machine was to get a ticket for World of Color, and last time for a ride was to get my preview passes for Star Tours. I stay far away when it gets packed.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Sep Thu 19, 2013 11:49 am

The FP system hinders more than aids an AP holder, but the AP always allows you to come back another time if wait times are unreasonable. I think I've grown less fond of FP over time because too many arriving guests get a pass as their first option, unbalancing the system.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I am kind of surprised they haven't changed the system (at least for RSR) since attractions can be out of passes within an hour or two of opening. It also might simply be that after a few years of operation the lines will not be as bad.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I am kind of surprised they haven't changed the system (at least for RSR) since attractions can be out of passes within an hour or two of opening. It also might simply be that after a few years of operation the lines will not be as bad.
It does seen like it would be nice if the FP could be spread out throughout the day a little more. I know that they run out fairly early for some attractions in WDW as well.