Bye GAC Hello DAS

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Bye GAC Hello DAS

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 14, 2013 3:52 pm

So they are going to have a protest over the new system? That should be interesting to see.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Mon 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if it was here, she is the epitome of the tea party (she is a huge supporter) where she hates the president and the notion of healthcare for all but demands the government provide care and private school level support for her kid. She probably does more harm to the PR for autism than anything else.
One thing that really stuck out is how she said during the 15 minutes that guest relations was explaining the new DAS card, her adult son started pinching her. She responded by telling the CMs that if they didn't give her the front of the line passes that she would have to call 911 to stop his behavior and it would be their fault that she had to call the police. If she had to call the authorities to contain his behavior, ok, but it isn't really Disney's fault is it?
Also in one of her videos she tells him to "shut up" when he is talking over what she is trying to say. Doesn't sound like something you would say to someone that is autistic and easily pushed over the edge while at WDW.
I know there is the don't judge until you walk a mile in someone else's moccasins, and I don't pretend to know what her daily life if like with her child, but at some point you have to take some personal responsibility and not blame other people for everything that doesn't go exactly as you want it to go in your life. Can't enjoy your day because you can't skip every line at WDW? Guess what, no one else skips the lines either unless you are a Make a Wish family or a celebrity. And I bet at the very least, the MAW family would trade places with someone at the end of every queue if it meant their child wouldn't have whatever fatal disease they are facing.

Amy.... And that is the type of people that ruin it for the ones who realy need the assistance. It takes a few to $crew everyone else. :evil: :goofy:

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Oct Fri 25, 2013 10:17 am

Does anyone know if there's a number to call with questions on the new system? My wife wants to know how this will affect us with our two sons (both would qualify for GAC at this point). She was thinking of calling the concierge at AKL, but there's got to be a better option than that.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 25, 2013 11:06 am

Brian845 wrote:Does anyone know if there's a number to call with questions on the new system? My wife wants to know how this will affect us with our two sons (both would qualify for GAC at this point). She was thinking of calling the concierge at AKL, but there's got to be a better option than that.
I would think you would want to contact Guest Relations directly. This is the number I found online for Guest Relations (I believe this one was for EPCOT, but it might be MK) 407-824-4321
And here is a handy page with all the contact information for WDW ~ https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/phone/
Good luck ~ definitely better if you can get some questions answered before your trip so you are a little better prepared for what to expect!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Odds are if she did call the concierge they would be able to help or directly connect her to the right people as well.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Fri 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Disney probably has exceptions to the the new program. Like the others are stating. Call guest relations and get the info first hand. :)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 25, 2013 9:15 pm

They already said they would accommodate anyone that wouldn't be able to use the GAC. Odds are if you simply tell them the GAC won't cut it they will yield since the bad PR, possible lawsuits, etc. are not worth having other guests wait an extra 30 seconds in line.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Sun 27, 2013 7:31 am

I agree with Wizzard. Disney does not care for bad PR. And people these days sue over the craziest things. :roll: :goofy:

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Oct Sun 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Meh, just because someone files a lawsuit doesn't mean it goes anywhere. Given the expense of hiring an attorney, filing a suit, and working through the process, more people are likely to threaten to sue than actually do it. What's sad it the generic media hooplah coverage of someone filing a lawsuit - the public never hears the actual story through the sensationalism.

My friend with an DLR AP and a child that is eligible for GAC/DAS said he had no issue with getting the new pass. He didn't go on the first day they were handing them out, presuming there would be delays caused by those looking to vent their "moral outrage" over a benefit.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Dec Sun 01, 2013 8:41 pm

As a coordinator for 2 major rides and 1 minor ride in the Magic Kingdom, I haven't seen any major issues with complaints in terms of the DAS so far 2 months into the program....most people have been understanding. This past week, I did see a couple more cards than I had previously but it was also a very busy week so there are more people in the park. But so far, I personally haven't seen too many major complaints that required a Coordinator be called down to be present.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Considering that October and November aren't known for their massive crowds, we will have to see how the last 2 weeks of the month will do.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Mon 02, 2013 9:23 am

packwingfn wrote:As a coordinator for 2 major rides and 1 minor ride in the Magic Kingdom, I haven't seen any major issues with complaints in terms of the DAS so far 2 months into the program....most people have been understanding. This past week, I did see a couple more cards than I had previously but it was also a very busy week so there are more people in the park. But so far, I personally haven't seen too many major complaints that required a Coordinator be called down to be present.
That's encouraging. I'm hoping the people that were complaining the most when the new system was introduced have had time to get used to it. It really doesn't sound much different from the old GAC in terms of helping those who need assistance. Have you noticed a change in the number of wheelchair groups where the people hop in and out of the wheelchair into attractions with a spryness that is incongruous with needing assistance?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, then not her since she has made it very clear that her son is still a kid.

I think they actually charge the celebs (or managers) for that privilege to bypass, if they actually get paid is probably another story. I had a flight up to the Bay Area office once and the plane was branded with make a wish foundation, I was actually surprised the airlines would have such a thing handy.
There is another person on FB that continually complains about the lack of accommodations for her autistic child. Funny thing is she is also always getting things for free at the parks. It seems she would be one of those people that would never be happy :( She had a post on today about the difficulty of getting a replacement tag for their stroller to be used as a wheelchair. I really wonder if the guest relations CMs cringe when they see them come in the door...

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Sat 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Unfortunately Amy, society is becoming more and more of a gimme gimme, me me me society. More and more think that they are owed. At work, we call it either "The me syndrome" (If it doesn't benefit me, screw the rest). Or we call it the "Veruka Salt Syndrome". (I want it and I want it now). :evil: :roll: :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Goofyfan wrote:Unfortunately Amy, society is becoming more and more of a gimme gimme, me me me society. More and more think that they are owed. At work, we call it either "The me syndrome" (If it doesn't benefit me, screw the rest). Or we call it the "Veruka Salt Syndrome". (I want it and I want it now). :evil: :roll: :goofy:
Oooo, I like the Willy Wonka reference! I think I'm going to have to start using that one :D
And I agree on all points sadly...