Cruise Line Policy Changes

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Re: Cruise Line Policy Changes

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Sun 25, 2013 8:16 pm

lol, no worries we actually ended up meeting the people in the next cabin and they were great about it. After the 2nd night they stopped. They actually asked if we could smell it. When I said yeah they stopped and it worked out great.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I wonder what the return rate for the average guest is is on the cruises? Is it likely as low as it is with WDW? If the guest won't be expected to come back for at least 5 years, then they might simply be doing it as a cost saving measure.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Mon 26, 2013 10:45 am

from what I hear when people go on DCL they usual get hooked and want to go again, The only reason we haven't was we got pregnant and want to wait until our daughter is at least 3 before we go. We already have enough Disney Rewards points saved for s small cruise. By that time we should be looking at a 7 night!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 26, 2013 1:07 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:from what I hear when people go on DCL they usual get hooked and want to go again, The only reason we haven't was we got pregnant and want to wait until our daughter is at least 3 before we go. We already have enough Disney Rewards points saved for s small cruise. By that time we should be looking at a 7 night!
Wow ~ you must use your Disney Visa for everything :shock: :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Might as well, if cash pays the same fees as credit, you might as well get some reward program points for it. :D

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Mon 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Amy wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:from what I hear when people go on DCL they usual get hooked and want to go again, The only reason we haven't was we got pregnant and want to wait until our daughter is at least 3 before we go. We already have enough Disney Rewards points saved for s small cruise. By that time we should be looking at a 7 night!

We do.....We should be up around $500.00 when we go to WDW in December of 2014... Will be out first Christmas visit to Disney....Can't wait. :D :goofy:

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Aug Wed 28, 2013 8:42 am

Goofyfan wrote:
Amy wrote:

We do.....We should be up around $500.00 when we go to WDW in December of 2014... Will be out first Christmas visit to Disney....Can't wait. :D :goofy:
We recently began using our Disney Visa rewards card to pay some of our business expenses that would normally be paid by check. During the last billing cycle we put $49k on it. I pay a bill using the card, have a check cut to the credit card company the same day and then immediately pay the bill to the credit card company using check-by-phone. This way I can charge several times our credit limit per billing cycle. Hopefully we will have about $2k of rewards points built up when we go in January. I don't know what I did not think of this before.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 28, 2013 8:47 am

Wow ~ that is smart thinking cccmouse! Good idea :idea:

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Wed 28, 2013 4:51 pm

cccmouse: Wow that is awesome!!!! I agree with Amy. Smart thinking. :D :goofy:

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Wed 28, 2013 9:14 pm

yeah we're at $1200 right now. We pay the entire thing off every month, its FABULOUS!!!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Wed 28, 2013 10:02 pm

You will have to tell us if they suddenly do something like raise your limit or cancel your card. Some credit card companies get kind of diva-like when it comes to people gaming the system. There also used to be a treasury trick that people did, until they cracked down on it. People would buy dollar coins direct from the mint using their credit cards, the max total, then they would deposit the coins back into their accounts at the bank and pay off the debt before interest would be applied.

By making use of various loyalty/reward programs from cards, people could scrape together a decent amount each month. The companies and the government were not amused and both took action.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Aug Thu 29, 2013 10:58 am

Wizzard419 wrote:You will have to tell us if they suddenly do something like raise your limit or cancel your card. Some credit card companies get kind of diva-like when it comes to people gaming the system. There also used to be a treasury trick that people did, until they cracked down on it. People would buy dollar coins direct from the mint using their credit cards, the max total, then they would deposit the coins back into their accounts at the bank and pay off the debt before interest would be applied.

By making use of various loyalty/reward programs from cards, people could scrape together a decent amount each month. The companies and the government were not amused and both took action.
I hope that they do not do anything unusual just because we are trying to maximize the benefit. We are using the card completely within the guidelines that they established ... we do not exceed our credit limit, we pay multiple times per month so we never get close to being late, we use the check-by-phone payment system which they promote, which allows them to get their money almost immediately and the credit card company get a percentage or fee everytime the card is used. The only downside for them is that we never carry a balance on the account so there is no finance charge. I know that no good thing lasts forever, but we'll ride this horse as long as we can.

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Aug Thu 29, 2013 11:14 am

B-Babe has had hers since it's conception and we use it as much as possible, when we know we are going to the Mouse. Also the six month 0% APR on a Disney vacation is great to have to. They have not raised her limit without her knowledge. Chase Visa, in general, is pretty good if you are a good customer :)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 29, 2013 1:16 pm

cccmouse wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:You will have to tell us if they suddenly do something like raise your limit or cancel your card. Some credit card companies get kind of diva-like when it comes to people gaming the system. There also used to be a treasury trick that people did, until they cracked down on it. People would buy dollar coins direct from the mint using their credit cards, the max total, then they would deposit the coins back into their accounts at the bank and pay off the debt before interest would be applied.

I hope that they do not do anything unusual just because we are trying to maximize the benefit. We are using the card completely within the guidelines that they established ... we do not exceed our credit limit, we pay multiple times per month so we never get close to being late, we use the check-by-phone payment system which they promote, which allows them to get their money almost immediately and the credit card company get a percentage or fee everytime the card is used. The only downside for them is that we never carry a balance on the account so there is no finance charge. I know that no good thing lasts forever, but we'll ride this horse as long as we can.
You are, the problem they have is that you are no longer a potential profit for them but simply an expense (no balance, but you collect rewards and use their resources, swipe fees are only supposed to cover the actual cost of the transaction but that may be abused). Apparently, I was looking up the dollar coin thing again, there are forums and sites devoted to the subject of gaming/maximizing reward programs. Anyway, they most likely can also cancel your card at any time for any reason which may also invalidate any rewards you have not used yet.

It depends mostly on how the system views it, having 49k flow through in a single month might set off a red flag and then they may investigate the usage and see it isn't personal but rather business related.

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Chuckus95 » Sep Tue 03, 2013 8:59 am

Goofyfan wrote:My wife and I were on a cruise this past January. We booked a balcony for the purpose of being able to have a nightly cigar and a few drinks to relax and unwind from a busy day. When you are out on the ocean, for those who have not been on a crusie, the breeze from the moving ship and the breeze coming off the ocean doesn't allow the smoke to drift from balcony to balcony. I 100% agree with not smoking in the rooms. I do not smoke on a regular basis but do enjoy a good cigar once in awhile ( a few more on vacation). There should still be smoking and non smoking rooms. Just my opinion. :goofy:
I disagree. The smell of smoke from other balconies in the vicinity is very noticeable. The last two cruises we went on (4-night Bahamian on the Dream and a 7-night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder) we had smokers next to us. Any time that we were out on the balcony and the neighbors were out smoking (which seemed to be at least 50% of the time), we had to go back inside because the smoke smell was so bad, which is really iritating given the extra charge to have a balcony room. I welcome this change, and it makes me even more excited for our next cruise (5-night Western Caribbean on the Wonder) in January.