Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Cruise Line Policy Changes

Post by cy1229 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 6:08 am

Just read this in the All Ears newsletter:
Two policy changes were announced recently for the Disney Cruise Line:

-- As of November 15, 2013, smoking on stateroom verandas on all cruises will be banned. Smoking has been prohibited for some time inside all Disney Cruise Line ships -- this policy change further restricts smoking to limited areas on the ship. Passengers found in violation of these smoking policies will be charged a $250 "stateroom recovery fee."

-- Disney Cruise Line passengers are now permitted to wear shorts to dinner in the three main dining rooms. The dress code for Palo and Remy has not been changed, however.
The smoking issue kind of surprises me, most hotels don't mind if you smoke on outdoor balconies. Where are the smoking areas on a cruise ship then? I've never smoked so this isn't an issue for me, but I know people who do, and how hard it is to quit such an addictive habit, and wonder how this impacts whether smokers will take a cruise.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Cruise Line Policy Changes

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 2:25 pm

That doesn't surprise me, I think hotels in California do not permit it near the rooms anymore as well because the smoke can blow back into the room as well as it can drift to other people's balconies.

It probably won't affect them much, just like how at the parks you are only allowed to smoke in selected areas, people still do it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That doesn't surprise me, I think hotels in California do not permit it near the rooms anymore as well because the smoke can blow back into the room as well as it can drift to other people's balconies.

It probably won't affect them much, just like how at the parks you are only allowed to smoke in selected areas, people still do it.
I was thinking the same thing, people that want to smoke will still do it. I can't imagine there will be someone policing the balconies and they will only get caught if someone sees them or someone complains. I would be happier if I were on a cruise and there was no smoking on the balconies as I can only imagine how much the smoke would drift to the other balconies. Of course it would probably be like WDW and I wouldn't be in my room if I wasn't sleeping!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Well part of it will be the smell, esp if they have cushions and whatnot on the balconies. What I meant was, people who smoke will still book vacations and just grumble about having to leave their rooms to a special area to light up or pay the fees. When housekeeping cleans the room and they smell a heavy smoke smell, they will bill your account.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Well part of it will be the smell, esp if they have cushions and whatnot on the balconies. What I meant was, people who smoke will still book vacations and just grumble about having to leave their rooms to a special area to light up or pay the fees. When housekeeping cleans the room and they smell a heavy smoke smell, they will bill your account.
Oh, I guess we weren't thinking along the same lines then. I think people will still probably try to smoke on the balconies if they really want to. I don't know if there would be a fine if they are caught or not. That might make people think twice before breaking the rules.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Hotels are very strict about the room cleaning fees, they do not necessarily have to catch you smoking to charge you the $250 (most of the hotels I have been to charge about 400) for the room. Aside from the fee, they also remove various things like ash trays, matches, etc. and also may not stock the ship with the cigarettes as well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Hotels are very strict about the room cleaning fees, they do not necessarily have to catch you smoking to charge you the $250 (most of the hotels I have been to charge about 400) for the room. Aside from the fee, they also remove various things like ash trays, matches, etc. and also may not stock the ship with the cigarettes as well.
But if they smoke outside on the balcony, it wouldn't necessarily smell in the stateroom. I would hope people would follow the rules, but I know people that would say they will smoke anywhere they please...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Cigarette smoke sticks to everything, which is why people at one point wore smoking jackets, it wouldn't smell as strong in the staterooms/balcony if they did not smoke in the room itself.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 23, 2013 7:11 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Cigarette smoke sticks to everything, which is why people at one point wore smoking jackets, it wouldn't smell as strong in the staterooms/balcony if they did not smoke in the room itself.
I agree that smoke is stinky and sticks, but if people were being conscientious of the rules and smoking in the designated smoking areas, they would still smell smoky, so who is to tell if they are smoking on their balconies when they shouldn't be? You couldn't tell just by sniffing them :roll: ;) I'm just wondering if there is any sort of monitoring system, like cameras, that can tell if people are smoking on their stateroom balcony when they shouldn't be?
I'm very allergic to smoke but I'm also aware that I am not the only person on the planet. I will remove myself from a situation where people are smoking, if they have the right to be smoking there. But if it is a smoke free area, then I should be able to enjoy that area as it is supposed to be ~ smoke free!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Fri 23, 2013 8:59 am

I'm pretty sure that cameras in a hotel room would violate laws against invasion of privacy or voyeurism. :shock:

There's a big difference between a smoker having been in a room, and someone having smoked in a room. The first is faintly noticeable, the second is painfully obvious.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Fri 23, 2013 1:29 pm

There is one system they have in place, if someone is smoking on the balcony, odds are at least one person will then call and complain to the staff. There might be cams that look in the general area of the balcony, but none specifically monitoring each one.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Aug Fri 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Entire hotel chains have total smoking bans (Hyatt and the entire Starwood chain come to mind). Balcony or room, doesn't matter. The usual way the charge gets added is not someone tattling, it's housekeeping finding evidence of smoking during cleaning. This is sometimes the smell of smoke, sometimes cigarette butts or ashes, or burn marks on furniture, carpet, or linen. Smokers tend to leave lots of evidence.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Sun 25, 2013 7:45 am

My wife and I were on a cruise this past January. We booked a balcony for the purpose of being able to have a nightly cigar and a few drinks to relax and unwind from a busy day. When you are out on the ocean, for those who have not been on a crusie, the breeze from the moving ship and the breeze coming off the ocean doesn't allow the smoke to drift from balcony to balcony. I 100% agree with not smoking in the rooms. I do not smoke on a regular basis but do enjoy a good cigar once in awhile ( a few more on vacation). There should still be smoking and non smoking rooms. Just my opinion. :goofy:

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Sun 25, 2013 11:05 am

Goofyfan, I actually must disagree with you about the not drifting from balcony to balcony. Ther people on the other side of our balcony wall were smoking and we smelt it the entire time. It was so bad that we couldn't keep out door open when we wanted a breeze due to them smell. I for one am very happy about the rule change because of our stinky situation.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Aug Sun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:Goofyfan, I actually must disagree with you about the not drifting from balcony to balcony. Ther people on the other side of our balcony wall were smoking and we smelt it the entire time. It was so bad that we couldn't keep out door open when we wanted a breeze due to them smell. I for one am very happy about the rule change because of our stinky situation.

I guess that I can agree with that. being a past full time smoker I foget that non smokers are more sensitive to the smoke odor. I hope that I wasn't one of the smokers that offended other people on your cruise :goofy: ....LOL.