AT&T Now Official Wireless Provider

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

AT&T Now Official Wireless Provider

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 23, 2013 11:21 am

Disney and AT&T have announced an agreement that makes AT&T the official wireless provider for both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort.
Most significantly, the agreement brings a whole host of upgrades to the AT&T cell service at Walt Disney World which could give a huge boost to the usability of MyMagic+ which relies extensively on data communication. In recent times the parks own Wi-Fi service has struggled with demand at peak times. AT&T's data service at the parks also becomes unusable at peak times, so these upgrades appear to address these issues.

Here is the full press release from AT&T.

AT&T to Enhance Mobile Network in Disney Parks

Dallas, Texas, July 23, 2013

AT&T* and Disney Parks today announced an agreement that makes AT&T the official wireless provider for Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.

Through the agreement, AT&T will have various marketing and branding opportunities, including sponsoring Disney-created soccer and runDisney events at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. In addition, Disney will join AT&T to educate Cast Members and guests about “It Can Wait®,” AT&T’s groundbreaking initiative to educate consumers about the dangers of texting while driving. AT&T and Disney will also collaborate to enhance the experience for the growing number of Disney guests using smartphones and tablets during their visit. Furthermore, Cast Members will use new mobile devices on AT&T’s network to help deliver Disney’s legendary guest service.

“This is a great combination,” said Andy Geisse, Chief Executive Officer for AT&T Business Solutions. “Bringing AT&T’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network and mobile connectivity to one of the most creative companies on earth is something we’re excited about. I’m confident Disney’s guests and Cast Members will be thrilled with the experience we deliver.”

“We are excited about the opportunity to work with AT&T,” said Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, United States and France. “This alliance joins two companies that share a commitment to providing quality experiences, and we look forward to the collaboration as we continue to leverage technology to enhance the experience for our guests.”

AT&T is also enhancing its network across Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort using a variety of technologies including:

More than 25 distributed antenna systems to increase the wireless capacity in areas with high mobile traffic
More than 350 small cells to extend network connectivity
10 cell sites across Walt Disney World Resort to provide wide-ranging mobile service to guests
More than 40 repeaters to further enhance the mobile experience for both guests and Cast Members
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: AT&T Now Official Wireless Provider

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 23, 2013 2:50 pm

I still find it funny how AT&T continues to call themselves the "fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network" when objective studies have shown that AT&T is by far the worst of the mobile carriers.

As long as it doesn't turn into a "you can only have access to this or that if you are an AT&T customer" like AT&T has done in airports and coffee shops...I have no problem with the partnership.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 23, 2013 2:56 pm

You can be a terrible service provider and still be able to highlight a specific service you beat the competition in. If they are inaccurate about that statement they would have the FTC on their backs. :D

I am guessing they would be upping the Wifi coverage more rather than cell services since it could get costly if you go over your plan limits. If it is wifi they will probably do the ad wall that informs you how they have provided the service and that you are a terrible person for not using their brand of services.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Tue 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Boo! We have Sprint!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Wed 24, 2013 8:00 am

My AT&T is very fast, and even before this I heard from numerous sources it was the second best provider behind Verizon to be in the parks. I hope it moves intot he lead now! lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Wed 24, 2013 8:36 am

regardless of coverage...

I hope this doesn't translate into more people walking around the parks with their heads buried in their phones.

I know it will though. :(

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Wed 24, 2013 9:46 am

I'm sure it will BIG, when bdude and I were there last Dec, we noticed it to be all it's all time worse! We usually leave our phones in the room, one more thing to carry!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Wed 24, 2013 9:56 am

I used my phone as my camera the last two trips...but made sure to put it on Airplane Mode to save battery and to keep me from getting calls and push notifications that would take away from my vacation.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Wed 24, 2013 10:20 am

Another Sprint customer here. Hopefully the next time we're there the whole park will be lit up with LTE coverage. We took our phones into the parks and I kept mine on airplane mode also. Really the only thing I used it for was attaching to wifi, updating our touring plans and checking wait times using the lines app from touringplans.com. I also took the occasional food pic :)
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Wed 24, 2013 10:52 am

I feel like WDW needed an improvement with their Wireless network. With the implementation of the MyMagic bands and the smartphones that are used to pay at restaurants, the network is going to get a lot more traffic. Also, Disney and AT&T are partnering up to start a ad campaign inside the park about the dangers of texting while driving.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Wed 24, 2013 11:14 am

Unfortunately, even if you put something in the parks to jam cell phone use and nixed wifi, I think that there would still be people with their heads buried in their phones or some other device. I'll admit that my phone is on, but used for touringplans and to occasionally send updates back home to family while in park (although most is done at nite in the room).

We have AT&T, but so far I'm not seeing how it will benefit me in any way personally. Sounds like its just additional advertising opportunities for AT&T.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Wed 24, 2013 12:22 pm

dsnymommy wrote:Unfortunately, even if you put something in the parks to jam cell phone use and nixed wifi, I think that there would still be people with their heads buried in their phones or some other device. I'll admit that my phone is on, but used for touringplans and to occasionally send updates back home to family while in park (although most is done at nite in the room).

We have AT&T, but so far I'm not seeing how it will benefit me in any way personally. Sounds like its just additional advertising opportunities for AT&T.
...and a way for Disney to bring in a well-known sponsor to invest.

Disney had a good partnership with Verizon before...but other than the original Mobile Magic app I don't think they really ever did much for the general public to see.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 24, 2013 1:51 pm

They also did the sponsorship for the proof of concept that was the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure (providing the phones and I think the backbone).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 24, 2013 4:06 pm

dsnymommy wrote:Unfortunately, even if you put something in the parks to jam cell phone use and nixed wifi, I think that there would still be people with their heads buried in their phones or some other device. I'll admit that my phone is on, but used for touringplans and to occasionally send updates back home to family while in park (although most is done at nite in the room).

I was the same way on our last trip. I only used my phone to snap a few photos. And I did check wait times occasionally ~ after I remembered I could do that :roll: And I have AT&T as it is the only provider with decent coverage out in the sticks where we live. Although that isn't saying a lot as service has been spotting lately. I think BIG is right though ~ it is nice to have a big sponsor back in the parks in a big way :D

captianbubble
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by captianbubble » Jul Fri 26, 2013 1:45 am

Yes! So glad!
Disney World Here I Come!