AT&T Now Official Wireless Provider

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: AT&T Now Official Wireless Provider

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Yep, that was always the biggest hurdle, how do you get past the crappy data plans (either fast but capped or slow but unlimited) when your app has heavy usage and is open to the entire world (actually, I am not sure if the ROW countries can download the app). Disney has actually been trying to deal with the problem for a little while now for ESPN, they are looking into a way that they can just pay the carriers for content that comes from ESPN so that it doesn't go against the user's limits.

They probably won't be hugely interested in attractions (I think they also dropped sponsorship for Indy), just like most companies, because they are expensive, dated, and aren't capable of showing off the product in a meaningful way.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 30, 2013 4:16 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:....I wonder if AT&T will eventually sponsor an attraction or pavilion again. I want to say it's been a while since they sponsored SSE.
That will be interesting to see if they do. Siemens has sponsored Spaceship Earth for several years now. One of my piano families works for them, and I tried to get into the Siemens' lounge as their "family member", but their boss wouldn't approve it :(
Wizzard419 wrote:They probably won't be hugely interested in attractions (I think they also dropped sponsorship for Indy), just like most companies, because they are expensive, dated, and aren't capable of showing off the product in a meaningful way.
Isn't it a tax write-off anyhow?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 4:36 pm

It can be, but it is a big expense and you don't get the entire cost taken out of what you owe. Other methods are cheaper, more effective, and actually drive revenue, and you get the tax break.

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Tue 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yes, just because an exclusive/preferred provider doesn't use it for their own network doesn't usually mean they can't install hardware and charge, for example, sprint, for the coverage.
In all my years in the industry, I have never seen a carrier install hardware for a competitor's system.
-Club33Hopeful

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Wed 31, 2013 11:14 am

Club33Hopeful wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Yes, just because an exclusive/preferred provider doesn't use it for their own network doesn't usually mean they can't install hardware and charge, for example, sprint, for the coverage.
In all my years in the industry, I have never seen a carrier install hardware for a competitor's system.
I assumed that any carrier that uses GSM would be able to use AT&T's antennas...and the same thing for Verizon's CDMA. Or maybe that has more to do with the receiving antenna in the phones. For example...I think you can take a T-Mobile phone and activate it on AT&T...since the phone's antenna is the same (GSM).

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 31, 2013 1:36 pm

You can, but in the US you have to unlock it, which can be expensive.

And the allure of a local monopoly will make companies do crazy things.