Medication and the Parks

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Medication and the Parks

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Fri 19, 2013 10:32 am

The next time that we go to WDW I'll be carrying an EpiPen for a family member who is allergic to nuts. I've already read up on avoiding allergens in the park, calling ahead to restaurants, etc. A previous post about insulin made me think though. What about keeping the EpiPen at an appropriate temperature? Apparently its fairly sensitive and you're somehow supposed to always have it at the perfect ambient temperature; not too hot and not too cold. How do you avoid this at the parks? We'll need to have it with us at all times, just in case he encounters something unexpectedly, but I would assume that sitting in the sun its going to get pretty warm to downright sweltering depending on when we go. I know we're not the only ones to have to deal with this, so has anyone here had a similar experience, and how did you deal with it?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Medication and the Parks

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 19, 2013 1:25 pm

I saw epipens being promoted on tv at the gym a few days ago and it looks like they make some kind of thermal carrying case for them now since keeping them in a locker on the other side of the park would not be the best idea.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 19, 2013 3:58 pm

I would guess your best bet is to have a little cooler and bring an ice pack, or get ice at the counter service restaurants throughout the day and put it in a ziploc baggie in the cooler. You might ask your pharmacist what they would recommend as well.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Fri 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I saw epipens being promoted on tv at the gym a few days ago and it looks like they make some kind of thermal carrying case for them now since keeping them in a locker on the other side of the park would not be the best idea.

Oh, that's good to know Wizzard! Had no idea that there was a carrying case that I could get. I'll definitely need to look into that. Thanks! And yes, leaving it on the other side of the park just isn't an option.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Fri 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Amy wrote:I would guess your best bet is to have a little cooler and bring an ice pack, or get ice at the counter service restaurants throughout the day and put it in a ziploc baggie in the cooler. You might ask your pharmacist what they would recommend as well.

I've thought of something similar, Amy, but not sure how to get just the right temperature. They're not supposed to get either hot or cold, so a a cold pack might get it too cold. I've thought about insulating it, but not sure how cold it can get before it makes the pen useless. And unfortunately, there's no indicator on the packaging or something similar to indicate that its gone outside of its range of tolerance, so I'm constantly worried. I think I'll try the pharmacist too. Its a new problem that we're dealing with and initially I was so focused on dealing with the avoiding food aspect of it that all the other details got lost in the shuffle.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 19, 2013 9:32 pm

dsnymommy wrote:
Amy wrote:I would guess your best bet is to have a little cooler and bring an ice pack, or get ice at the counter service restaurants throughout the day and put it in a ziploc baggie in the cooler. You might ask your pharmacist what they would recommend as well.

I've thought of something similar, Amy, but not sure how to get just the right temperature. They're not supposed to get either hot or cold, so a a cold pack might get it too cold. I've thought about insulating it, but not sure how cold it can get before it makes the pen useless. And unfortunately, there's no indicator on the packaging or something similar to indicate that its gone outside of its range of tolerance, so I'm constantly worried. I think I'll try the pharmacist too. Its a new problem that we're dealing with and initially I was so focused on dealing with the avoiding food aspect of it that all the other details got lost in the shuffle.
I think you have a little wiggle room on the temperatures, but I would go with asking the pharmacist to be sure. I don't think a cold pack would be too cold, but you could always throw in a little thermometer as well to be sure. As long as you aren't there during the hottest of the summer months in Florida, I would think you will be ok.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Sun 21, 2013 5:34 am

Amy wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:

I think you have a little wiggle room on the temperatures, but I would go with asking the pharmacist to be sure. I don't think a cold pack would be too cold, but you could always throw in a little thermometer as well to be sure. As long as you aren't there during the hottest of the summer months in Florida, I would think you will be ok.
That's what I was hoping, but the last thing that I want is to make an emergency at the parks worse because I didn't do my part. Yes, I'm a worrier. Lol. For those that carry insulin at the parks, rather than keeping it at guest relations have you ever carried it around with you? I was researching some more and found a little wallet that will keep it at an ambient temperature using evaporation that I thought might be worth a try, but what about the logistics of carrying it around on rides? I know its something that I need to do regardless, but wondering if anyone has any pointers.

Thanks, everyone!

That's what I'm hoping, Amy

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 21, 2013 7:59 am

My Mom uses insulin dsnymommy, but she has the insulin pens (injectors) that don't require refrigeration once they are put into use. So she does carry her insulin with her without a problem. The pens need to remain cold before they are used so we carry a small cooler with an ice pack on the plane, and utilize the in room fridge. We also keep juice and cheese and other snacks in there to maintain her sugar levels. Vacation is a little stressful when dealing with multiple medical problems, but luckily we do fairly well with both of us watching her :lol: There was one late night where I did a complete tour of Hollywood Studios trying to find an open quick service to get her a juice because her sugar was quite low. That was no fun, but ended up being ok.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I think they might have been re-designing the epipens too since the promotion was all about how your kids can have an active lifestyle and all that rather than being a shut-in.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Amy wrote:My Mom uses insulin dsnymommy, but she has the insulin pens (injectors) that don't require refrigeration once they are put into use. So she does carry her insulin with her without a problem. The pens need to remain cold before they are used so we carry a small cooler with an ice pack on the plane, and utilize the in room fridge. We also keep juice and cheese and other snacks in there to maintain her sugar levels. Vacation is a little stressful when dealing with multiple medical problems, but luckily we do fairly well with both of us watching her :lol: There was one late night where I did a complete tour of Hollywood Studios trying to find an open quick service to get her a juice because her sugar was quite low. That was no fun, but ended up being ok.

Yay to you, Amy for taking on the challenge of vacationing with challenges and sailing thru it. I've gone on a similar hunt myself for sugar only in Epcot during fireworks. Its so sad to see people who just give in and don't go because they think it will be too much of a hassle. If anywhere, I think Disney makes it as easy as they're able to.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I think they might have been re-designing the epipens too since the promotion was all about how your kids can have an active lifestyle and all that rather than being a shut-in.
Wizzard, if you see the commercial again, would you note the name of the product??? Its for my son, and I already feel like I'm being overprotective about his food and I'd like to be able to give him as much freedom as possible where I can. Thanks in advance!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I can do one better, here is the ad, it looks like they are trying to show you can still go outside/live a normal lifestyle and they show the case.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7tD4/mylan-summer-camp

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I can do one better, here is the ad, it looks like they are trying to show you can still go outside/live a normal lifestyle and they show the case.

That's fantastic! Thanks so much, Wizzard!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Mon 22, 2013 4:05 pm

dsnymommy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I can do one better, here is the ad, it looks like they are trying to show you can still go outside/live a normal lifestyle and they show the case.

is Wizzard getting soft? ;)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 4:12 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:

is Wizzard getting soft? ;)
:lol: Maybe!! :lol: